Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Does milk making you very full point to lactose intolerance?

So milk has always made me.... REALLY full. I can eat a salad and have tons of room left for more food, but the second I drink an 8 oz glass of milk, I feel stuffed. Sometimes I can't even get it down. And I cannot eat much more. Today I ate one can of tuna, a salad, 5 strawberries, and a glass of milk and that felt like waaaaaaaaaaay too much food. I feel so bloated, like I overate.
So I was wondering, is that a sign of mild lactose intolerance? I personally use it as a tool when I can't eat a lot, since nothing fills me up like milk does (for only 100 calories it's like I ate a whole meal!), but suspect that my symptoms point to mild lactose intolerance. Anyway, I was just wondering. Thanks!
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've always wondered the same thing, and in researching lactose-intolerance, it seems likely. Lactose-intolerance can range from mild, to severe, depending on how much lactase your body produces (the enzyme that breaks down lactose).

I've not read anything that indicates that dairy products are harmful to people with mild lactose intolerance, so I use dairy much as you do - in small quantities to increase a sensation of fullness.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #3  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Is your stomach upset? Do you get gassy or have diarrhea? (you don't have to answer, lol). If those things happen, I'd say you're lactose intolerant. I am, mildly so. I don't get sick if I have just a glass of milk or a bowl of cereal (and I don't get the full feeling) but if I eat too much, it's not pretty. You can buy lactase in pill form that helps with the digestion of milk.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote