Old 06-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #1  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Water Weight from running?? Not sure and so upset!

Hi all,

As i have posted before i just started jogging/walking where my grandparents live. I was just walking before but now i am getting alot more jogging in and going further each time. I have been totally watching what i am eating. Drinking only water. I got on the scale and i was up about 4 pounds.. I could have cried.. I am wondering if this could be water weight from starting to jog? My legs are awful sore and my thighs are as well. I thought i would be down 3-4 this week not up... Just has me really upset.

Did any of you ever experiance weight gain when running and the other question is should i drink more water after i jog?

Thanks all!!
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #2  
starting over again

Probably is water. I go on 4 hours or more hikes on weekends and I still weigh a few more pounds when I get home, even if I'm not sore. It's only temporary so don't give up!
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #3  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

this happens to me too. I come home from running/hiking and feel so bloated...I actually measured yesterday after this happened and I think my abdomen had swollen a half inch! Don't worry just yet tho; in the long run I'm sure you'll see results. For me a week has always been too soon to notice results, anyway. Usually I start seeing them after about a month.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Yes! When I started this I did the elliptical every night for an hour. Result? Steady weight loss, slowing some over time, as is inevitable. Then this week I did a free trial of a gym, and thought I would try the treadmill. I ran 1.5 miles in 20 minutes the first day! I went home glowing with sweat and pride. The next day I gained a couple of pounds. No problem, I said. Well, first I freaked out, but I am trying to be very calm and nonobsessive with this, so let's pretend I took it calmly. So I went back to the gym and ran two miles! Man, I was HIGH! And my weight was still up the next day. That was the end of my free trial, so yesterday I just walked the dog and did nothing else. Result? Down to half a pound below the prerunning weight. So should I stop running? Heck no! It'll adjust, eventually, but I would rather panic and have thatoment of running triumph than be cool, collected, and unwilling to try to run longer.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Oh, and yes, drink more water. It can only help.
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #6  
19Deltawifey

Yup its totally normal. Ive been working out for a while but I just recently started running outside and my weight goes up 1.5 lbs its a little discouraging but Im at my heaviest weight ever so Im determined not to give up. Your doing great and just keep up the good work and you will eventually see results
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #7  

Is it true that sore muscles absorb more water to heal? This just really has me bugged. I was averaging about 2-3 pounds a week loss.

I am just trying to figure out what i am doing wrong cause i didnt think i was till i did my once a week weigh in today.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #8  

Ok so now i am just totally upset.. scale still didnt drop any..
I am wondering if any of you have gained weight after starting to exercise and if so how long did it take to get it off??
I am guessing this is just water weight??? HELP, i am soooo frusturated!!

Last edited by Shannon1983; 06-14-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/184/150ish

Height: 5'11"

Yep, you muscles can definitely retain water while they're healing themselves. Plus, if this is a brand new routine, your body may be resisting the change. I doubt there's any scientific evidence to back that assumption up; just something I've noticed about myself. I'd keep at it for another week or so and see what happens.
spikedpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I know for me, whenever I start working out after a few months of not doing much, or change from one type of work out to another, I always gain weight. In like, Feb or something, I started back working out after about 2 months of not working out. I had been maintaining my current WL at the time, then gained 6 lbs the week I started working out again. It was also that time of the month, and so I'm sure that helped. It took me about 2 weeks to lose those 6 lbs I gained, and then started losing again.

Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #11  

Thanks for your answers.. I appreciate it.. I just feel like i am not getting anywhere since the scale went up.. I am sure you all understand what i mean.

Thanks all
Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #12  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

I do weight watchers and they always say to gain is NORMAL after starting to work out or changing routines. Drinking more water can't hurt and don't worry! the weight will come off! Also, muscle is denser than fat, so be sure to measure yourself and see if your clothes fit differently. You might be losing inches but not necessarily pounds. If you replaced 1lb fat with 1lb muscle, you'd weight the same, but be smaller.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #13  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I ramped up my exercise (decided to train for a 10k) 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I was up. Last week I was STILL up!

It wasn't until today that I dropped it. So expect that as your body gets used to the extra exercise it won't retain as much.

Oh, and definitely drink lots of water to flush out the toxins, and so your body doesn't "panic" and try and retain all it can get.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #14  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

I can't remember where I read this, but apparently putting your legs up when you are sitting/laying down can help reduce water weight from swollen muscles.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #15  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

It is SO hard to see gains like that on the scale, I was just posting earlier about not seeing my loss fast enough on the scale, but it doesn't mean your body isn't changing. You may not lose the water weight in one day. I wouldn't be concerned unless it was around for a week or more... then I would start questioning my diet.
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote