Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 06-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #1  

Default Here is how I lost 25 pounds!

I weighed this week and I have finally lost 25 pounds! That is a third of the way to my goal of losing at least 75 pounds. I am so thrilled and excited. I think the key to my weight loss has been:

1) exercise! I exercise at least 6 days a week. I do aerobic activity on each of these days (such as kickboxing, zumba, cardio dance & step class) for at least an hour. I also do additional strength training 3 days a week for 30 minutes (using on a mat doing things like crunches and leg lifts).

2) diet. I eat the typically healthy stuff most of the time (like lean grilled meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat dairy, etc). But I also treat myself every week (and by treat I don't mean a mini candy bar, I mean real food). I just don't go overboard with it and make sure it only happens once or twice a week. I think this helps me stay on track for the rest of the week. If I feel I have treated myself a bit too much I will cut back a few days or add some more exercise to counter it.

3) water. I almost always just drink water (and yes it is usually flavored but always 0 calories). At restaurants I might get unsweet tea so I feel like I've had something. I try to keep water around me all the time and sip it constantly.

4) I keep going no matter what. If I have a bad week and gain, if I eat 4 doughnuts and a complete chicken fajita meal in one sitting (unfortunately this is not hypothetical), or if I am sore from trying a new exercise. I just think of the end goal and how great it will feel when I get there. I make sure to not just focus on the final goal but to instead set "mini" goals that are easier to reach (I like to do 10 pound increments).

If you want to see before and after pictures or want more information on my weight loss journey you can go here: http://thechubbyartist.blogspot.com/

Thanks for listening

Added 6/16/09:
I also wanted to add something that I forgot in my original post:

#5) No excuses! I am not sure why we feel the need to come up with reasons why we can't exercise (did not sleep well, sore, waiting for an exercise dvd to arrive, etc) or to eat right (will start diet on Monday, today is a holiday or celebration, didn't grocery shop yet, etc). Do not make excuses, just make it happen! The only legitimate excuses is sickness or an emergency, other than that eat right almost all the time and exercise almost everyday!

Last edited by xiamoro; 06-16-2009 at 10:37 AM.
xiamoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

You are looking great, nice job and nice blog
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #3  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Default Awesome

Thank you for sharing, and your blog is pretty awesome.
Here's mine, which incorporates my weight loss challenges, and some other gross stuff
I like pie.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #4  

Julie, I saw your progress pics. You look excellent! Congrats on your weight loss. Thanks for your comments and for checking out my blog!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #5  

DietCokeHead, thanks for the compliments on my blog! I checked out your blog and it is pretty darn funny too! Just wanted to let you know that I am sore all the time. And I mean all the time. I just keep hobbling along till my muscles loosen up. I also take a lot of hot baths and keep excedrin on the bedside table for the really rough mornings! Oh well, its worth the results!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #6  
Kitten steps to fitness

S/C/G: 208.5/?/148

Height: 5' 6"

xiamoro: Congrats! Your progress pics are wonderful, it looks like you've lost MORE than 25 pounds. Keep up the great work! You look very happy.

Your plan sounds very much like mine, so it's nice to know I must be doing something right.
Pas de Chaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #7  

Hey Pas de Chaton! Thanks for saying it looks like I have lost more than 25 pounds, that feels great! I am very happy with the results so far. I think that doing the strength training is what makes me look more compact even if the scale does not reflect it. I was hesitant to strength train at first, wanting to wait till I got some weight off. Now I am glad I have been doing it! Good luck and continued success with your weight loss efforts!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #8  
Kitten steps to fitness

I think you're right, it's the strength training, and exercising in general. Last time I lost weight, I lost about 50 pounds (before getting pregnant and gaining it all back) but I did it mostly through diet, very little exercise. It came off easily enough, but I didn't notice much difference in the mirror for the first 30 pounds or so. That's why this time I'm striving for a nice balance between diet and exercise this time.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #9  

I definitely think you are doing it right Pas de Chaton! It really is the best combination. I lost 70 pounds before (and of course gained it all back) concentrating more on diet than exercise (and not doing any strength training). This time exercise is at least half of the plan (if not more) and my body is responding better than it has in the past. The only negative factor is that I am sore all the time but that is something I am willing to live with for the results!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 194/186/130

Height: 5'4"

Keep up the good work--you are such an inspiration! BTW, your blog is great! I look forward to future updates. Good luck to you!
gingerlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #11  
Kitten steps to fitness

I am sore too, but it's a good feeling. It's not actual pain, it's just my muscles telling me "You're on the right track!"
Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #12  

Thanks gingerlu! Good luck to you too!
Old 06-13-2009, 10:13 AM   #13  
Liz, Version 2.0

S/C/G: 332/262.2/255

Height: 5'8"

Very awesome! Thanks for the tips, too!
elizabethx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

You look Beautiful! Congratulations
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #15  

Nice blog Liz! I commented You are doing great with your weight loss too!