South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #1  
KittyKatLady

S/C/G: 160/159/120

Height: 5'3"

Default 100% Whey Protein Shakes in Phase 1?

I have EAS 100% Whey protein powder and wanted to use it as a quick breakfast. Is this approved for Phase 1? Here is the information from the label

1 scoop

120 cal
2 g fat
1 sat fat
65 mg cholesterol
3 g of total carbohydrate
<1g dietary fiber
1g sugar
23 g protein
138 mg calcium
1 mg iron
55mg sodium
210mg potassium

Other ingredients: protein blend (whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate), natural and artificial flavors, acesulfame potassium and sucralose. Contains milk ingredients.

I plan on mixing this with water.
jlh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The ingredients look fine but shakes are not recommended by Dr A. - although lots of chicks do use them once in a while. The quiche egg muffin thingies in the recipe section here are easy to make and freeze well.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Kit Kat...they may be good for an emergency, but if you have daily them for breakfast, you may be setting yourself up for a "bad day". You should really have something "solid" with protein and vegs...shakes won't hold you over till the next meal and that may set you off to eat a quick "no-no" later on in the day.

I was NEVER a breakfast eater, but have learned that a nice balanced breakfast really sets you up for a great healthy day of eating. They may be ok for a "snack" later in the day, but you really want to start your day with some more "well-rounded".
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #4  
KittyKatLady

S/C/G: 160/159/120

Height: 5'3"

Ruthxxx, do you know why Dr. A doesn't recommend them?

I think you're right femmecreole..I'm usually hungry again within an hour or two when I drink them in the morning. I used to eat breakfast every morning...BUT it was steel cut oatmeal...I'm getting sick of eggs already so I'm trying to find ways to eat breakfast without it always being eggs heh.
jlh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

For the reasons femmecreole mentioned.
You don't need eggs or oatmeal for breakfast. I often have leftovers from the night before - pea soup this morning! Check out the threads in the FAQ section for more ideas. Think outside the box!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh88 View Post
do you know why Dr. A doesn't recommend them?

..I'm usually hungry again within an hour or two when I drink them in the morning.
The EAS protein shakes are meant to be a protein supplement not a meal replacement. They have no fiber really and I suspect that the artificial sweeteners may cause the hunger pangs. If you had the protein shake with a serving of veggies that might make for a suitable breakfast without the hunger issues. Doesn't sound very appetizing though.

When you get into PH2 whey protein can be used to make smoothies with some berries/fruit added. I use the Designer Whey brand...the all natural unflavored one with no artificial sweeteners. Not much help when you are in PH1 though...sorry about that.
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #7  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

personally it doesn't matter what i eat i am hungry an hour or two after breakfast....so if its either that or something that is not on plan i say go for it. remember this is a lifetime thing and obviously you have to choose what works for you
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I have a breakfast drink that I started a year ago which REALLY works for me, so it continues to be my every day breakfast. It's a combination of 2 products, "Supreme Meal", by Peaceful Planet and "Green Vibrance" by Vibrant Health. It was a little boring during P1, but normally I add 1/2 apple or fresh blueberries. Taken along with my vitamins, it carries me through to lunch, and that's without a snack break. Hard to snack and . I agree with Me4Life that as we follow SB we also need to key into what is right for us individually. I have run my mix by 2 nutritionists who gave it the green light. I was concerned that I was getting the nutrients I needed. I now have a TBSP of almond butter before I head out on my .
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote