Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 02:25 PM   #1  

Default Restauant Confidential

This book was advertised on the site a while ago. I bought one and am still reading it. And while it has great information, I almost feel like any food choice from a restaurant will sabotage my diet. I really enjoy the book though, and recommend it to anyone who wants some great pointers.

Does anyone else who has read the book feel this way?
What do you think of the book?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2002, 03:54 PM   #2  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

I actually just picked a copy up at the library this morning. (Had to order it). I am looking forward to checking it out.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think the book almost totally leaves out all of the good choices out there in restaurants-check out their websites, and you can have restaurant food in moderation.
Some winning examples:
Wendy's chili
small-210 calories
large 310 calories
Dairy Queen sugar free fat free orange cream bars-60 calories
DQ sandwich-200 calories
Applebees has many lowfat and low calorie menu items, such as quesadillas, blackened chicken salad, and a diet strawberry banana split. (That has become my favorite restaurant.)
Taco Bell chicken soft tacos are 190 calories each, and 7 grams of fat.
You can go into KFC and eat dinner for under 500 calories, just have the Tender Roast sandwich (310) and a single mashed potato and gravy (120), and avoid the fried chicken.
At any seafood restaurant, shrimp cocktail is very low calorie and low fat-just add the calories of the sauce and how many shrimp are in it from a calorie book.
Bob Evans has a fabulous huge fruit plate also-with fresh melon, grapes, pineapple, and strawberries...and it is BIG.
I just thought the book was sort of biased to all of the bad foods in restaurants, like the bloomin onions and huge coffee drinks-which everyone knows is fattening, and left out a lot of the good choices-at any nice restaurant, you can get a baked potato-just order it with the butter on the side, and keep a teaspoon in your purse to measure a bit out, because if they put it on, you can easily end up with 3 Tablespoons of butter on it-and msot places make grilled chicken breasts somewhere on the menu.
You can eat out about anywhere nowadays and stay on your diet if you take the time to look at the information most restaurants provide on their site-if they don't have it up there, you can email them, and a lot will get it for you.
Do the research, and you can eat out much more often and not feel like you are missing out.
Aphil
Old 10-14-2002, 09:59 PM   #4  
Mama to 3 Little Monkeys

S/C/G: 232/161.4/125

Height: 5ft 3 1/2inch

FYI - Alot of the Applebees have discontinued the light menus.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:56 AM   #5  

Aphil~ That's exactly what I'm talking about. It has a great information, but leaves you feeling kinda hopeless as far as finding something to eat in a restaurant that won't reak havoc on your body. That's what I meant by "sabotage" in my first post here.

Thanks for your info!
Old 10-26-2002, 03:57 PM   #6  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

I bought it from Amazon.com and am into it 93 pages. I have to read it aloud to BoxerBob sometimes. It's just amazing that the foods we eat and eat regularly are sooooo bad.

The book is so interesting - I love to read about food and learning the bad stuff and the good stuff gives me the ability to make smart choices.

But reading it is somewhat like looking at a car wreck as you pass by. It reminds you to wear your seatbelt.
Old 10-26-2002, 10:14 PM   #7  

I agree. I love to read about food, and what's "good" and "bad" and I do enjoy the information in this book. It's a great reference!
Closed Thread