Old 06-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #1  

Default Advice for eating on a cruise

My lovely, thin family & myself are going on a cruise in a few weeks. I am worried about what I am going to eat. Has anyone been on Norwegian? Any suggestions?

Danke!
tilly long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The nice thing on a cruise is that they have LOTS of options. Including healthy ones.

The bad thing on a cruise is that they have LOTS of options. Including UNHEALTHY ones.

I haven't been on Norwegian, but most cruise lines have a buffet set up, either 24 hours a day or breakfast, lunch, and dinner. When I was on mine, I tended to go there for breakfast (they had a good spread of fresh fruit, oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc) and lunch (mine had a gigantic salad bar out every day, with lean grilled protein, and lower-cal dressings available). Dinners in the dining room almost always included a grilled fish or chicken, and they're good about substitutions...double veggies instead of the starch, etc. My cruise line even had a "Spa Menu" section on the dinner menu that listed calories, it looks like Norwegian offers a "Healthy Choice" menu. You CAN find healthy options when cruise dining, probably more easily than in other situations.

HOWEVER...the big issue with cruises is that food, including decadent, high calorie food, is always available. There was a grill by the poolside serving up burgers and fries all day. There was an ice cream bar. And there were countless fruity cocktails ready for the drinking. And the desserts...at the buffet, at the dinner service...always present. So it can be hard to fight off temptation.

And don't forget...nearly all major cruise ships have exercise facilities nowadays, so you can get in exercise...my ship even had a gigantic running track up top, so I could get in a few miles while looking out at the gorgeous ocean.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:08 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

oo manda, you make it sound wonderful! I've never been on an ocean cruise, only a river one, where the food and facilities tend to be less. I think I'll start saving for a big one!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #4  
getting started AGAIN!

S/C/G: 255/246.5/180?

Height: 5'8"

wow, have lots of fun! I have been on several cruises and love them.

When you are on a cruise, you can eat at ANY TIME OF THE DAY OR NIGHT!! literally. they always have food being served somewhere, whether it's a formal seating or a buffet. I think what I would do is look over your options before you go and/or when you get on board, and plan your ACTIVITIES ... then food related to them. in other words, if you will be in port at 11am, plan to have breakfast earlier, and then disembark. I often took breakfasts on the deck instead of in the dining room. Also, the chef should be able to prepare things in a healthful way, and most times don't mind doing that.

have a wonderful time! where are you going?
lizzyINPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #5  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 286/275.8/185

Height: 5'6

I don't know anything about cruises, but what Manda was saying reminded my of my honeymoon at an all-inclusive resort. I know the cruise won't give you portions the way the restaurants at the resort did, and I wasn't even watching my weight then. Be mindful of your portions, though, and your choices and you should be fine.

We had desert and every meal, decadent foods and there were snack stands all around the pool with burgers and stuff in the middle of the day. Plus a constant flow of froofy drinks and stuff. I felt like I was eating CONSTANTLY, but even with soooo many drinks every day, I wound up losing 4 or 5 pounds that week!
glutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I love cruises, and my experience was the same as Amanda's. I find that if you eat in the dining room as much as possible, you have healthier options. The buffet options are not the greatest. There's also a gym on board, so if you take advantage of that it's entirely possible to hold steady even while relaxing on your diet a little, if you want to.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #7  

Thank you all!
tilly long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #8  
ISO my perfect body

Height: 5'7.5"

OHHH you will have such a fun time!!! I just got back from a Disney Cruise. It was my first cruise, and the food was mostly gourmet, and devine. I did make up my mind that I would order what I wanted, but if the taste wasn't just Fabulous, I left it alone. I also used the stairs instead of the elevator almost every time (not on formal dress night). Depending on where you are cruising to, You can usually walk the perimeter of the upper decks, and get an awesome workout in. Of course there is also the gym, but I opted for the fresh air walking. That all being said, I did still gain, but all in all it was worth it, and I am almost back to where I was before hand. I know you will have a blast!!!!!! Good luck
Lewisempire is offline   Reply With Quote