Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/135

Height: 5' 10"

Question Afraid to buy a scale

Hi everyone,

I'm kind of new here (posting anyways).. I have recently made changes in my lifestyle - eating healthy (low fat, low cal) and exercising 1.5 hrs 4 days a week. Jogging/Pilates/Yoga. My motivation is to be healthy, build some muscle and be able to hike, do sports, etc. without feeling like I'll die!

This is the problem, I don't have a good way of tracking my changes to keep myself motivated. I have struggled with anorexia in the past (almost 4 years healthy now) and will obsess about numbers on the scale - weigh multiple times a day, counting cals, etc. So when I was in recovery I got rid of my scales and measuring tape. I have done really well - almost too well since I gained a lot of weight back and need to shape up.

Anyone out there with similar struggles? I don't trust myself and I'm afraid I'll slip back into my old ways if I start counting again.

Thanks!

Last edited by Carolina2Cali; 06-10-2009 at 01:36 AM. Reason: left out important details
Carolina2Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #2  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Hey Carolina2Cali, and welcome.

Do any of your friends (who know of your struggles and would understand) have a scale in their house/apartment? If not you could buy a scale and get a friend to keep it for you. If he or she kept it at his or her place, then you couldn't weight yourself countless times each day. You could set up a schedule with this friend so you could come by and weigh yourself once or twice a week.

Or you could join the nearest weight watchers group or other group. I believe a number of groups have weekly weigh ins, so you wouldn't need a scale and would only be able to weigh yourself once a week.

Good luck!
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:46 AM   #3  
~ Mar ~

S/C/G: 187/181/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi!

well, i was afraid to buy a scale as well, and measuring myself nonetheless, but i did it . i use to be a size 4..literally, and during my pass relationship, i shot up to a size 16 .... but now i am trying to get back into shape i know for the first week i didnt lose any weight, but i felt healthy... and regardless of what that number on that scale said, i felt amazing... and slowly and surely, that number on that scale and tape measure is coming down

So, what your doing now, i bet is making you feel healthy and amazing inside, and that shouldnt change when you see that number on that scale. I say buy it, and put it in a corner somewhere, and only take it out when u need to measure your weight lost... and like everything in life, with determination and motivation..that number will go down... and down...

BEST OF GOOD LUCK
PuraMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 AM   #4  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I have an issue with this as well, though the eating disorder I struggled with occurred 10 years ago and was never that serious. Initially, I was just weighing myself at the gym, and I only went 2-3x/week so that weighing myself once or twice a week. But a month ago I bought a scale, and I've noticed the number of times I weigh myself creeping back up again and concurrently the return of scary thoughts I used to have (getting on the scale after going to the bathroom and then considering buying laxatives). I will say, however, that thoughts and actions are two different things and only you know if you're at a point where you can control those thoughts and not let them turn into destructive actions. I think Carolina's advice above is good...get a scale and have a friend keep it for you, and see how you do with that arrangement.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #5  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I second the giving the scale to a friend. You need to keep yourself accountable, and it's great that you know yourself well enough to know that you'll obsess. Just make sure that friend is tough enough to tell you NO and only let you on it once a weekish.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/129/115

Height: 5'5'

There are pros and cons to buying a scale. Yes, it has helped keep me accountable but it can be destructive. After not being on it for a while (after getting discouraged, stressed and busy) I had gained a few pounds back and it motivated me to lose those extra lbs. I am now a slave to my scale! Im at a plateau at 131 and know if I exercise I will stay the same or gain muscle and in my mind I cant have the scale go up any! So it is actually discouraging me from working out, that of which I should be doing. I have had an issue w/eating and throwing up. I would hold off on buying the scale... or take it to a friends house. Best of luck!
blondeblueeyedbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:48 PM   #7  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I'm afraid my newfound 3fc obsession might feed my weight obsession...or maybe I'm just bored at work.
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #8  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Do you belong to a gym? You could weight yourself their. Even if you go multiple times a week, you won't be able to weight yourself multiple times a day. Or, do you have a friend who owns a scale? Borrow theirs, that way you don't have to buy one!
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/160/135

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyGuggenheim View Post
Hey Carolina2Cali, and welcome.

Do any of your friends (who know of your struggles and would understand) have a scale in their house/apartment? If not you could buy a scale and get a friend to keep it for you. If he or she kept it at his or her place, then you couldn't weight yourself countless times each day. You could set up a schedule with this friend so you could come by and weigh yourself once or twice a week.

Or you could join the nearest weight watchers group or other group. I believe a number of groups have weekly weigh ins, so you wouldn't need a scale and would only be able to weigh yourself once a week.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I just moved to this town a couple months ago, so no one really knows of my past struggles. But I can think of a couple people I could talk to that would be understanding. I'll give that a try since I can't afford to have a gym membership.

Here we go....
Carolina2Cali is offline   Reply With Quote