Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 12:17 PM   #1  

Question Curves more than 3x/week?

I joined Curves for Women a month ago. I have been going 3x/week and coming home and getting on my Elliptical for at least 30 minutes. I keep reading all these comments on the board about people who go to Curves more than 3x per week. I know that you are suppose to only weight train every other day (48 hours for your muscles to repair themselves). Is it different for Curves?
Old 10-15-2002, 08:08 PM   #2  

Margie1,
I'm one of those people that go to Curves more than 3x's, I go 4x's. Not sure if I'm 'suppose' to or not, but I do. There are some ladies that go 5-6x's a week. My theory, again, my theory, I'm certainly not an authority here, is that b/c you're combining cardio w/ brief strength training, it's not as intense as a straight workout at a gym, so you can do it more often.
Is this correct? Not sure, but I am very pleased with my results.
I have been working out 4x's pretty much since the end of June. I also do some other form of cardio frequently, sometimes every day (swimming, walking, aerobics at home).
I never have muscle pain from Curves, but I do 'know' that I've worked out, make sense?

I'd love to hear other's responses, esp. those with Trainer experience.

HTH
Old 10-16-2002, 11:07 AM   #3  
Is it Friday yet?

Hello there,

I just joined Curves yesterday after going with my girlfriend while on vacation in CA. I loooooved it!!

I'm going to agree with Maxwell, that you're not getting quite the same workout as you would if you were stacking weights and going for maximum muscle work. Not that it's better or worse, but Curves doesn't take your muscles to that "failure" point that most people aim for in the gym - THAT is what makes you sore and builds muscles - but it's also pretty hard on your body and you do need that recovery time in between.
My girlfriend in CA has been going for a month, 5-6 days a week and her first 1 month measure showed that she'd lost 19 inches overall - I think THAT shows that what Curves does is working ok with our bodies...

I can't say I'm a trainer, but I worked for Weight Watchers and Jazzercise for a few years and took nutrition and physical training in college so I guess I can just say I know enough to be dangerous!

Terri
Old 10-16-2002, 06:35 PM   #4  

Terry and Max,
I really appreciate your responses. I think I understand now why it is ok to go without a 48 hour rest in between. I do notice that I have never been sore like I am when I work out with weight machines. I have been going for a month and a week now and I was going every other day, but I am going to try and make it 4-5x a week since you two are having such great results! Wow! Your friend must be so pumped up to have lost so many inches so fast!!
Again, I appreciate your responses and motivation!! You may not be trainers but what you say makes total sense!!
Thanks again!
Margie
Old 10-25-2002, 11:15 AM   #5  
RonaldMcDonald's LuvChild

A Curves went in right next door to the print shop where I work a couple days a week - we're on a main street in Mayberry R.F.D. and I see lots of ladies heading in there all hours of the day.

Could someone give me a clue about the cost - can you sign up monthly? I'm afraid I won't stick with it for a year but I would benefit from 3 - 6 months of training and exercise - even if I hit it only one day a week.

One other question - right now my stamina is nil - I can do rapid step for about 3-1/2 minutes and then I'm winded and have to stop. Should I continue to build my time up until I can keep up a little better?

I'm 5'4" and 164 and dropping...
Old 10-25-2002, 06:16 PM   #6  

All curves are the same, but I'm not sure about the cost involved. Mine is $29 a month if you have the payment debited monthly for a year, $39 if you pay month to month by check/cash.

There is a fee to join, mine is free this month if you bring in a receipt showing that you have had a mammogram within the last two years. When I joined up my fee was around $60, I think.

I really do enjoy it and I can see such a difference in my body (of course, I am dieting too). When I began I was terribly out of shape. I could hardly walk from the car into the house without breaking a sweat, it was really bad. My stamina is now incredible (not where I need to be yet, but oh soooo much better than before). I would recommend that you begin soon and stick with it.

I joined up month-to-month and just recently changed to the auto debit from my checking account.

I'm not sure if Curves is a for-life type of place, but for now, it's the only place for me.

GL!
Old 10-25-2002, 06:51 PM   #7  

Max - alrighty then! I'm going to check it out next time I work and see what the $$ and hours look like. Have to see if the music suits me, too. LOL You know, the important stuff.

When I do the stairs here I crank up loud fast favorites from Celtic to Meatloaf. Only problem doing this here is my two loony boxers - one sits on the steps above me and paws at me the whole time while wiggling her butt and the other one stands behind me and tries to put her paws on my shoulders. I burn more trying to fight them off.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:13 PM   #8  

Rusty!! Too Funny!!

I think all Curves follow the same (or similar) timeframe when it comes to store hours and days closed:
8-1 3-8 M-F
8-12 S
Closed Sun.

I'm self-employed so the hours work for me, others may struggle w/the lunchtime closing. Our Curves has over 900 members, somehow they deal with the crazy hours
Old 10-26-2002, 05:56 AM   #9  

Hi! My Curves closes at 7:00 pm so you need to check your location. I know that the hours were too tough for my schedule this week so I had to do alternate forms of getting my workout in. Which is ok - variation is good once and a while. But I am looking forward to getting back to Curves this week!

Margie
Old 10-26-2002, 10:01 AM   #10  

It sure sounds like the people who find Curves works for them - LOVE it. That says a lot about having an on-site owner who is part of the community. We're a small town and a big corporate faceless gym wouldn't work around here.

But if I join, will my dogs get fat without me to give them a workout?
Old 10-27-2002, 11:10 PM   #11  

Hi Rusty and everyone else!

I am an (inactive) member of curves...due to a car accident, but I can't wait to get back.

I went for 5 months and lost two dress sizes, 14 inches, 11 pounds of body fat, but only 3 pounds on the scale (I was turning fat into muscle, so the scale wasn't moving fast) and I can tell you I felt wonderful.

I loved the place so much, that I was in the process of buying a franchise when my accident occurred...needless to say, it didn't happen.

Well, my daughter in law, who is also a dietitian and fitness trainer, now manages our local curves. She is very enthusiastic about the success of most of the woman who come there. The success you have is based on the degree at which you workout. The nicest thing about it is anyone can do it! You move at your pace, even if that means three reps at first or just walking in place, in time you build up reps and before you know it, you are jogging and running in place and doing 14 to 17 or more reps per machine. And I might add you are NOT holding anyone up!! The curcuit runs on prompts, meaning a voice will tell you when to move to the next station...so you do whatever you can in the allotted time.

The atmosphere is one in which I myself can feel comfortable...all woman, so I don't have to worry about whose looking at my butt or wondering if I have the right outfit on etc...

There are no frills at Curves...i.e., swimming pools, saunas, showers, the reason for that is they base their concept on a 30 minute workout...IN and OUT in 30 minutes.....who doesn't have time for that! They don't want you to make this a long process for fear you will find excusses not to come because of time constraints.

All I can say is try it! They will give you one session for FREE, just go in and ask them. And then as the others have said, you can pay$39 monthly until you know you will get something out of it and then you can switch to a yearly contract for $29.00 a month....also, check with your insurance carrier. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield MA and they pay $150.00 towards the cost of my yearly fees. That is after you have completed 4 months, they will then reimburse you the full $150.00. I know several other companies do the same.

Good Luck and let's all keep moving

Meg

P.S. Our Curves is open at 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (closed between the hours of 2 and 3 p.m) Mon thru Fri... Sat 6:30 a.m. to noon......They vary, but for the most part run the same hours.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:33 AM   #12  

Quote:
I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield MA and they pay $150.00 towards the cost of my yearly fees. That is after you have completed 4 months, they will then reimburse you the full $150.00. I know several other companies do the same.
Meg - I'm in MA and have HMO Blue - which might be the same one - I never, ever thought to look into them covering some of it. Wow. Here's hoping!

Quote:
And I might add you are NOT holding anyone up!! The curcuit runs on prompts, meaning a voice will tell you when to move to the next station...so you do whatever you can in the allotted time.
That was my other concern - if I'm down to a slow walk after four minutes of step aerobics here at home - I thought that everyone would wind up having to wait for me to finish. (Pant! Pant!) That would entail too much pressure on me just starting out.

I work Thursday this week, I think I will wander next door and ask nicely if they have any deals and can I try it for a day. I could carry some clothes to work with me that day if I knew what to bring.

Clothes - I don't think I'm up to shorts right away. Only wear them around the house. Can I put on a sleeveless leotard and some Hanes stretchy pants and a tshirt over the top? Will I faint from exertion? Shoes?

Thank you all - you're helping me get over my (mild) agoraphobia/new place anxiety!
Old 10-28-2002, 04:39 PM   #13  

Rusty,

HMO Blue MA is what I have, although I know there are different levels of plans within that...but check it out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

About just dropping into the center and wanting to try it out that day. That would depend on the center and how busy they were at the moment. You might have to make an appointment for you first "free" visit. But check it out, never know!

About the clothes, dress light, you will work up a sweat regardless of how you move. I wear a thin pair of exercise slacks with a LONG tee shirt, hides a multitude of sins.

As far as the shoes go....sneakers are recommended and they do want you to carry them in and put them on in the salon. The reason behind that is to keep as much dirt and sand off the machines and platforms as possible. Of course, you always have those that abuse the system. But you will see that it is imperitive to keep the areas clean and free of sand. Especially now that the bad weather is ahead of us.

So go for it.....you will really enjoy it and get the encouragement you need there.

Meg
Old 10-28-2002, 05:04 PM   #14  

I also Joined a womans fitness center it is not called curves but it is the same machines and the change every 30 seconds.. with 10 different machines..I am going on my second month.. the first month I did not do so well.. gained 6 inches and 3ib. 2 more% of body fat.. but was following somersize.. so this month I stopped with the diet.. going back to BFL MENU.. I also go 5 times aweek and usually go 3 times around.. and I come home and do cardo either the treadmill, elleptical, stair stepper or leslie samsone walk tapes for 20 -45 minutes 4 times a week and do weight lifting alternation upper body one day.. skip a day and do lower body.. doing the cardo in the in between days.. so I get 5 to 6 go exercise days in.. my next measure weigh in is on nov. 10th...I am sure I have lost all around...the studio is new and I guess they have had a lot of problem with there measuring..So after going home crying last time...I should have good numbers this time.. 2 different people did one woman.. same day.. she was told she lost 17 inches from one and the other said it was only 12....There have been some huge successes at the studio..and the ones with the best success do extra cardio at home.. I personally love the workout.. but feel as though it is not enough to bother you if you lift at home too??? a good insiration is a lady there that has lost 6 pounds.. but..... she has lost so many inches she looks like about 60 lbs smaller...I really hate the number on the scales but the smaller sizes mean something??
Old 10-28-2002, 06:17 PM   #15  

Are Curves and Women in Motion the same type of fitness center? I've never been to either, and though I work at the YMCA, there is a Women in Motion across the street. I have a free coupon, and was just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance!
Closed Thread