Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 06-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I've decided to look into wls

I remember the time I said I'd never do it, but alas, reality did catch up with me. Now I'm looking into wls, and find myself staggered by the choice. At first I was all for a band, not invasive, better chance of getting through surgery. (scary!) But now I've heard of the long term complications, I'm starting to think maybe something else?

I'm leaning towards the DS or MGB at the moment (I am a stress eater), but would love to hear why you were recommended/chose the surgery you got.
Quillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Ummm at your height and weight I don't even think you qualify. I mean correct my if I'm wrong but I thought WLS was for the morbidly obese? I thought you had to be at least 300 lbs to even be considered.

You only have 59 lbs to go- you have lost over 40 lbs already- just keep at it cuz you have already come so far!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/286/150

Height: 5'3"

I don't belong to this thread, I've never had wls (and don't plan to) but, you've lost 41 pounds by yourself and your not that big anymore, 213 is great! I think you should just keep doing what your doing. You are capapable of losing weight by yourself! You can do it!

On another note, my brother in law had lapband and has lost nearly 200 pounds in about a year. He seems to like having had it. I know that he can't eat very fast because it gets clogged or something and then he has to go throw up. That kind of sounds sucky to me. I wouldn't want to be like that.
kim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #4  

I should have mentioned I haven't updated my ticker for a while. I definitely weigh more now, about 240. Whiwh is the main problem, I keep losing weight and putting it back on, with a little extra.

7 years ago, my maximum weight ever was 165, that is when I started dieting, 5 years ago I was already over 200. Last year I checked my BMI and sam I was morbidly obese. (but not at 300, it would be strange to put a lb on wls, as everybody has a different height)

I'm terrified of where I will be at in a few years if I continue this cycle.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillie View Post
I'm leaning towards the DS or MGB at the moment (I am a stress eater), but would love to hear why you were recommended/chose the surgery you got.
I would not personally recommend the MGB to anyone. There is a reason there are only 2 or 3 surgeons in the US who even perform it even though it is said to be a quicker and easier surgery.

I am a huge fan of the DS. Check out www.dsfacts.com.

And you are right - there is no minimum number of pounds one must weight for WLS. It is based on BMI. In general, you need to have a BMI of 40 or higher to qualify for surgery, or a BMI of 35 or higher with at least one weight-related comorbidity (such as sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, etc.), though some insurance companies require two or more.

Are you looking to have insurance pay for your procedure? Have you checked your policy to see which procedures they cover?
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 AM   #6  

There are surgeons here in Belgium that do the MGB, I think it is considered about as experimental as the DS. The operation is a lot safer, which is a plus.

I really like the idea of DS too, but it does scare me, it seems very high risk. But after so many wls you have to have another years later because it didn't work, which doesnt seem to happen with the DS.

Being from Belgium, I don't have to deal with insurance companies. The rules to get it paid back are tighter now though:
- Bmi >40 or >35 with diabetes
- Approved by endocrinologist, psychologist & surgeon
- One year unsuccesful dieting
I can have whichever surgery me and the surgeon decide on though. In the end it will cost me about 600 euros I think.

If they don't pay back it will be about 6000 euros. Which is still not very expensive, health care in Belgium is quite good and cheap. Plus no waiting lists! (unless too many people from the UK & Netherlands come for their surgery)
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I had no idea you were in Belgium - that does make things a bit easier for you!

Maybe the MGB there is different from the MGB being done here, but here, the surgeon who sort of started it actually lost his ability to work at a certain hospital because they didn't want him doing it, and he eventually lost his license and had multiple lawsuits against him in the state where he began, so he had to relocate to continue doing it. My understanding is that, due to the sort of "loop" configuration they do with the intestine, it can cause a lot of problems years after the surgery, so even though patients do well in the short term, the long term can be scary. But, again, maybe the procedure is different over there.

The DS really only has increased risks if you don't take care of yourself. If you have labs done regularly to check your vitamin levels and supplement accordingly, most patients have no problems. As for actual surgical risk, a recent study showed that when you compare apples to apples, the risks from the RNY gastric bypass and the DS are almost identical. The reason it was thought to have higher risk for many years is that the DS was only being done on super morbidly obese patients with BMIs of 55 or higher, which means most of the patients were higher risk cases to begin with, regardless of procedure.

Do, though, ask your chosen surgeon what THEIR statistics are as far as weight loss, leak rates, revision rates, etc. The skill and ability of your chosen surgeon is MUCH more important than any general statistics.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

also, Quillie, when you're looking at all the choices, think HARD about how you're willing to live AFTER the surgery - for ME [and that's just it - ME], i can deal with water-soluble vitamin deficiencies with RNY a lot easier than with the fat-soluble vitamin deficiencies with the DS. but that's just a personal choice.

the DS is working great for Jilly and for a few others around here. sooo, check out your surgeons, your choices, and your lifestyles, and move ahead!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote