Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 PM   #1  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Panic over slow weight loss

I'm getting married 9/20. That's slightly over 3 months until the wedding. In the last month I've only lost 4 lbs. I am on weight watchers, I don't have a problem staying within my points range, but I could workout more.

I'm inconsistent with exercise. I'll go on a stretch of working out well and then take a week off. It actually doesn't seem to effect the loss on the scale though. But now I'm trying to exercise every day no matter what, even if it's a 20 minute walk.

A few months ago I was hoping to get to 135 for my wedding and now I feel like I'll be thrilled with 145. But with the way things are going, I'm not even sure if THAT is something I can obtain. I don't like how I look in pictures, even though I'm thrilled with what I've lost so far. I've become obsessed with weight loss and researching healthy foods and exercising. It's almost all I think about. I'm just freaked out I won't look good on my wedding day. I'm glad our honeymoon won't be until March or so (I wanted to wait until it was cold and snowy before going on a beach vacation and it gives me more time to get in shape) I know I won't gain it all back afterwards.

I'm just so scared I won't be satisfied with how I look.

I don't have a hard time staying within my points range, and I do use most of my weekly points - I try to have some days with higher points than others to "cycle" my calories. I could drink more water and I've been working out more. I don't really know what else to do. Weekly losses of 0.4lbs are starting to upset me. I know right now it's TOM so it's not that big of a deal, but next week and the week after... I'm just dreading the lack of weight loss.

Sorry for the longgggg rant, I just wonder if anyone has some advice.
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #2  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

You might try upping your calories for a week to see. Also make sure you're drinking a lot of water and get lots of fiber!!
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:02 PM   #3  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

The fiber I don't have a problem with... I know I get a LOT of fiber.

Water I do need to work on haha

I always eat my daily points and then I vary my weekly points depending on my needs and then if I have a bunch leftover I do have a day where I have a LOT of points. So I am cycling in a way. I don't want to eat my activity points, because I feel like I'm just eating all the calories I burned.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:23 PM   #4  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 286/275.8/185

Height: 5'6

Julie, I don't know what to tell you with your weight loss, but I can say you've picked an EXCELLENT wedding date! My husband and I will be celebrating our first anniversary that day!

Exercise is key, though. It's what's going to change your body more than weight. Try to find a video or something you can do. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred can make BIG changes in inches in just the 30 days if you're consistent.
glutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #5  
Actual hot librarian.

S/C/G: 189/150.0/149

Height: 5'7.5"

I'd say step up the exercise. You need to sweat to get results. Try doing at least 40 minutes of high intensity cardio a day.

But one slow month doesn't mean your pace will go down permanently. I've had 2 slow months, 2 medium months, and 1 fast month in the five that I've been losing (and the fast one was the first one) but my overall average is 6.6 lbs per month.

And congrats on finding the right one That's so much more special than any number on the scale!!!
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I know exactly how you feel. In January 2009 I had a goal to lose 20 lb for my holiday May 1. I would panic like crazy thinking - oh my god if I don't lose this weight I will look awful in pictures, etc. I didn't make it to my goal, but, after losing only 14 lb, I already see a huge difference in pictures, and in my self-confidence.

So, you are 166 lb now, and I can guarantee if you step up your exercise and stick to WW, you will be very happy with how you look by September.

Your goal of 145 lb is not the be all and end all of life, and it is VERY easy to become obsessed with the number and panic. Believe me I KNOW THIS!

So, I would suggest doing the Jillian Michaels 30-day shred like the poster above suggested (I have done this, and it will kick your a** into shape!) and you will feel stronger and better. It sounds like you are doing good with WW already so keep it up.

Instead of focusing your energy on your "goal", focus your energy RIGHT NOW into WW and exercise. Move your focus - it will put less stress on your life :-)

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 PM   #7  
Double chin be gone!

S/C/G: 263/254/200

Height: 5'9

I know how you feel!! I'm sure you're not eating a lot of sugar, but try knocking off sugar for a few days. I find that even a bite of something here and there that's really sugary can stall me. As for your weight on the big day, even if you can't get to 145/135, know that you will look BEAUTIFUL!! I assist a photographer at weddings and we have photographed brides from 98 pounds to 400.. and they all look stunning and most of all - HAPPY!! Good luck
PopcornFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #8  
Going to be a mommy!

S/C/G: 255/225/200

Height: 5'4" Age: 31

Talking :)

Hi Julie-

Have a you tried not eating your weekly points for a week? I vary my use- some weeks I used them all, other weeks about half and then some weeks none. I would also suggest you up your exercise of course- What do you earn now? Thne shoot to add 2/3 ap's each week working toward 28 total per week(or more if you can!) Also maybe your eating your points each day but what are you eating? Are you getting all the good health guidelines in each and every day? Are you choosing filling foods first? (I have trouble with this too)....

Another thing to think about is sharpening your pencil as my leader likes to say... Do you measure all of your food or are you estimating your portion sizes? If you don't measure everything there is a tendency to under estimate portion size then of course points value....

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!! Try not to set a certain weight goal by a specific date- this can be damaging to your momentum! Just focus on eating as best you can and getting in that exercise and you will be happy, healthy, and confident on your wedding day. You can do it!!
akacutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Try eating something different for breakfast every day for a week. Not just different from your usual but make Tuesday different from Monday and so on. I have heard this can kind of reset your metabolism when you are stuck. I have not really tried it myself because it is not a problem yet for me and anyway i eat different breakfasts almost every time anyway. I do not see how it could hurt so why not give it a try? Let me know if it works!
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #10  
Awesome

S/C/G: 250.5/ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

At least for me, I felt SO beautiful when I was all done up and in my wedding dress... and I hadn't even started dieting so I was at my highest I believe. But, I am thrilled with the pictures and I weighed a lot more than you do I know it is stressful but I think once you get all dressed up and glammed up, you will love the way you look, it's a special day and I hope you look back on it like I look back on mine -- as the most perfect day ever!
janellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #11  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

Thank you all for your help. I do think I'll really try to up my exercise and water intake. As for sugar... I stay within my points and I do try to eat filling foods, but I do have 1pt mini bag popcorn and either an icecream sandwich (2pts) or the 100cal pack cupcakes for a bedtime snack every night. I feel like if I didn't eat that, I'd probably cheat. Maybe I could really cut out sugar (I eat a lot of strawberries and watermelon)... and it would help get the loss going again.

Thanks again!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 322/312/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glutio View Post
Julie, I don't know what to tell you with your weight loss, but I can say you've picked an EXCELLENT wedding date! My husband and I will be celebrating our first anniversary that day!

Exercise is key, though. It's what's going to change your body more than weight. Try to find a video or something you can do. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred can make BIG changes in inches in just the 30 days if you're consistent.
I'd have to agree about the Jillian DVD. I started this last week and omg...it really kicks your butt! And I'm not sure how your wedding plans are coming along but stress can have an affect on your weight loss. So being super stressed about your big day and worried about your weight might have everything a little crazy inside.
jessicaRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:52 AM   #13  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

My loss started slowing while I was in the 170s, and though I average about 9 lbs a month there was one month where I only lost 2 or 3. However, then I started consistently jogging (1-1.5 hours a day, six days a week) without changing my food intake and the weight has been falling off at 2-2.5 lbs a week.

The thing with the jogging is though, you really have to push yourself and make yourself sweat and keep your heart rate elevated. Also, if you can swing it you should jog in the mornings since it gets your metabolism going for the whole day (I wish I were capable of getting out of bed early enough to do morning workouts). If you force yourself to jog 5-6 days a week for two weeks, before you know it you'll start looking forward to your jogs and you'll feel sort of sad on your days off. It's addictive.

Good luck!
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #14  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

Jog for an hour and a half! I'm not that in shape! :P
Maybe 40 mins tops I could do... But I'll restart the 30ds and jogging and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #15  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I mean jogging as in a combination of jogging and walking. I couldn't jog for 15 minutes straight to save my life, but I jog until I need to walk and then as soon as I can I start jogging again. It's not really about the jogging, it's about keeping the heart rate elevated.
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote