Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/312/150

Height: 5'3"

Unhappy Race for the Cure...aka the fat girl trys to walk a 5k...

So this year I'm participating in RftC here in St. Louis. It's on Saturday. I did it in 2007 and while it was fun to go with my friends and walk for a good foundation it was also kind of embarrassing. About halfway through I had to tell the group of girls I went with to keep going because I just couldn't walk anymore and had to stop and take so many breaks. They ended up finishing a good half hour-45 mins before me and I'm just really nervous about doing it again. These girls are my friends and only 2 are not at least slightly overweight but I still outweigh them by 50-100 pounds. I've been walking like crazy for 3 weeks now in preparation and I just hope it's not a repeat of last time...
jessicaRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

If you keep up with walking, you won't be the "fat girl" anymore. Love yourself through this and think of your health, not your nervousness. Walk all the time, make walking your "thing"...take a powerwalking class...good luck!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:55 AM   #3  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

i totally agree with tejas. keep walking! you'll be amazed at the results.

as for saturday, I would ask one of your friends to be your "buddy" for the day. just ask one if they'd be willing to stay back with you so you won't have to walk alone. My cousin and I were mom's buddies for the MS walk, so when her MS started bothering her and she had to turn around, she leaned on my cousin's stroller and we stuck with her. She didn't feel ashamed, because we knew ahead of time that we were going to be her support (plus even though she was struggling and using the stroller as a walker, it looked like she was just pushing it ). I find the buddy system works best for both parties.
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #4  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

You can do it! I did my first Race for the Cure last year and walked the 5k with my hubby. I too also practiced walking the 5k for a few months beforehand, and I think walking for a few weeks like you're doing is also a great way to get used to it!

And look, you have already lost 10 lbs - that's 40 lbs of pressure off of your knee joints which will make walking much easier!

Last edited by Fat Pants; 06-08-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

jessica, thank you for walking...the mere fact you are doing it speaks volumes regardless of what your time is....the fact you are doing it is the "important stuff"..but I really do feel like if you will keep up your walking and "train" properly you will be much more fit by the time it rolls around...I can imagine how you must feel..just keep on doing your best..thats as much as any of us can do
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/176.2/150

I'm doing the race for the cure this weekend, too. I see you're from So IL....I'm from the Belleville area, are you anywhere close?

As for the race, I've been prepping, too. I've noticed that my stamina has increased in just a few weeks and I'm able to walk longer without getting winded. It's for such a good cause and I think it means alot that you're participating. No one's going to judge you for what time you finish, and if they do then they suck!
anmitche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #7  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

It amazing that you doing it, so don't worry about being embarrassed. I think asking one of your friends to be your buddy is a good idea. Also, just remember... if you keep this up next year you probably won't even have to worry about not finishing!
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #8  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I'm going to join in the chorus: That's so awesome that you're doing it! Even more awesome that you've been prepping for it. I'm with everyone else; I think you're going to be amazed with yourself.

If you get embarrassed, keep repeating to yourself "It's for a good cause; these are my friends, they love me and there is no judgment here." (I know that would be my mantra because whenever I exercise around my friends, I have to remind myself that they're not secretly laughing at me. Silly, I know...)

Anyways, have an amazing time and let us know how it goes!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #9  
Mommy to be!

S/C/G: 168/---/125

Height: 5'4"

I just did my first one in 7 years. It was an incredible experience!! you can do it!! Being around all those survivors is fantastic motivation. Good luck!
skinnybeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 322/312/150

Thanks so much for all the support! I'm getting pumped about it! I've worked up to a steady 1.5 miles at a brisk walk and I'm sure I won't be walking as fast that day. Lol. I talked to some of my friends that are going and they assured me that they'll walk with me. My little sister has decided to walk as well and she says she'll definitely stay with me. She's 12. She loves me. Lol.

@anmitche-i live in alton! so i'm right near belleville!
jessicaRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:04 AM   #11  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

jessica....in 2004 i did the new orleans marathon...at the time i weighed about 230...it took me 7 hours...the only thing that bothered me was that they started opening the course to cars before they were supposed to...my goal was to finish before they did that...the point is it doesnt matter ho long you take...im sure you will get people supporting and cheering you on the whole way...when you finish, pat yourself on the back for a job well done!!!
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #12  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

jess i just noticed that you said youre up to 1.5m....our trainer called it "race day magic"...youd probably have no problem doing 3 times that on the day of the event...youre only gonna do about twice that...youre gionna have a great day!!!
david is offline   Reply With Quote