Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/292/190

Height: 6'1"

Default Whole Grain Pizza Recipe!

I thought that being a new member, I may contribute a little something to the forum. I made pizza tonight for myself, my girlfriend (Creeech) and her family; and after totalling up the calories and nutritional information I thought it might be nice to share it with everyone. There will be 2 pizzas here: a plain cheese pizza and a white pizza (a slight variation of the cheese pizza). The cheese pizza has a little over 100 calories a slice and the white pizza has a little over 150 calories a slice. The recipe for the dough will make 6 pizzas.

Preparation ~3 hours (dough must rise)
Cook time ~20-25 minutes

You will need:
12" Pizza Pan

Dough (will be used for both pizzas):
4 1/2 cups... Gold Medal Whole Weat Flour (this flour is pre-sifted)
1 tsp........... Instant Dry Yeast
1 3/4 cups... Water (colder is better)
1/4 cup....... Light Olive Oil (and a little extra to put on the dough while it rises)
2 1/2 tsp..... Kosher Salt (has a milder flavor than table salt and is more natural. If you need to use regular table salt, use half.)

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl or pot large enough to fit double the ingredients and mix by hand. Slowly add in water and olive oil and knead until the dough reaches a smooth, slightly sticky consistency. The wheat flour is heartier than white flour so it won't be as sticky as the same dough with white flour. When the dough reaches this consistency, cut into 6 equal pieces, drizzle a small amount of olive oil over them and place a hot dampened towel over the entire top of the bowl and let sit at room temperature for 1 1/2 to 3 hours (if you plan on saving some of the dough, refrigerate any unused portion after this step).

CHEESE PIZZA
Ingredients (for one pizza):
4 oz............. Mozzarella (fresh is better)
1 portion....... Dough (see above)

Sauce (will make all 6 pizzas):
12 oz........... Tomato Paste
12 oz........... Water
2 tsp............ Basil, fine
2 tsp............ Kosher salt
1 tsp............ Ground Black Pepper
1 tbsp........... Light Olive Oil

Empty tomato paste into a bowl. Fill both cans with water and add to tomato paste. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until smooth. Any unused portion can be refrigerated.

Preheat oven to 450*F. Lightly spread flour over pizza pan and stretch dough over the pan. Add sauce to within 1/2" of the end of the crust and top with 4 oz. mozzarella. Bake on bottom rack until the cheese is melted and slightly browned and the crust is crispy. Slice into 8 equal slices.

VARIATION FOR WHITE PIZZA:

Instead of using the sauce, crush 2 cloves of garlic and submerse in 1 tbsp olive oil with 1/2 tsp of basil. Lightly spoon this over the crust instead of the tomato sauce. Use the same 4oz. of mozzarella, but place about 7 tbsp of ricotta cheese on top of the mozzarella. Bake on bottom rack until the mozzarella is melted and the crust looks crispy. You'll also see a slight golden brown color to the ricotta when it's completely cooked.

If you use The Daily Plate on Livestrong, I've already uploaded the pizzas to the list with complete calorie and nutritional information:

livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/generic/whole-grain-cheese-pizza/

livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/generic/whole-grain-white-pizza/

(Copy and paste, not enough posts to provide links )

The portions are listed as 1 whole pizza so just put your servings as the number of slices you ate/8. Ex: You ate 3 slices, so put servings at 3/8.

Bon apetit!

Last edited by Almighty David; 06-07-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Almighty David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #2  

I'm a serious pizza lover so thanks for the recipes!

You know what might also be fun is to make the crust into mini-pizzas, bake them then freeze them. Then you could just pull one out, add toppings and reheat anytime you needed a quick but good for you lunch.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #3  

Welcome to 3FC!

This recipe sounds great. I was just thinking about whole-wheat pizza crust at the grocery store the other day. Thanks for sharing!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Thanks David! I usually use ww pita as a crust, but I'm going to clip these as options for bigger pizzas.

And welcome!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #5  

Has anyone tried it yet?
Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #6  

Yesterday i had tried it. It is very tasty and spicy. I ate it with gourmet cheese. I liked it so much. I may make it often and often in future.
john123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

I want to try it! It sounds like a good weekend recipe for me. Do you freeze the extra dough?
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM   #8  

I didn't really have extra dough, the pizzas are a little small. I did, however, feed 6 people with 3 pizzas, and used the rest of the dough for garlic bread.