Old 06-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Jiggling

Yes, I know I witter. Sorry about that but there is more to this learning curve than cutting calories and upping exercise!

So I wiped out my mini-targets in my signature yesterday. I was clearly getting too hung up on this miracle figure of 179 by next Sunday. I'm not saying it's not possible, 179.9 would be 2.1lbs away; I'm not saying I'm not going to try my very best - but I've changed my mindset, after a lot of serious thought, to acknowledging that actually, I've done my very best for 132 days straight now, I'm not going to stop but I'm not going to put all my happiness eggs into the scales basket of a certain figure by a certain eventdate. (Please remind me of this next time I decide my vacation/Christmas/birthday will be incomplete without a certain ENG figure!)

I'll still take part in challenges like the Solstice and the Independence Day ones, that's different somehow: trying to lose X by Y date is motivational; I find trying to lose X by Y Event mentally counter-productive.

I've reset my dietpower and sparkpeople budgets to aim at a loss of 1lb a week to Christmas Day, which would take me to 154. 'Isn't that an event?' you may ask; and well you may: but a) you've got to put some date/weight into these things to get them to generate a calorie budget, and I like having that; and b) I'm truly looking at seeing if I can achieve an average 1lb a week for those weeks, not saying, 'If I don't make 154 my Christmas will be ruined.' Hm. In my brain it makes sense!

Wishing you all good days!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #2  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I think it's good you revised when you realized you were getting too focused on a certain number by a certain date.

The unhealthy thing would've been to stick with it and go batty trying to meet it, when you very well might be 179.9 next Monday, not Sunday.

And kudos on 132 days of consistent effort that has clearly paid off!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #3  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

1 pound a week is nothing to sneeze at! 1 pound a week is over 50 pounds gone in a year. 1 pound a week is slow, and steady, and more likely to remain off than faster weight loss. 1 pound a week is consistently saying "no" to unhealthy choices and "yes" to healthy ones.

good for you to change the focus from "X pounds by Y date" and more to consistency and the long term!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #4  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I think you have made a very wise choice! Good for you. While we need our ENG's to keep track, we can't make our happiness dependent on reaching a certain number by a specific day. As long as we continue to lose, we're doing the right thing!

I'm proud of you! And, I will be watching for any of those self-imposed deadline dates in the future!!!

Last edited by Slashnl; 06-07-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Oh I am so relieved. I was a bit worried about yesterday's post--but then, I'm new here and to this whole dieting thing so I didn't know if being motivated like that was a good idea or not.

However, I do confess I was thinking about it all day yesterday: how would you control what the scale says?

I've been getting on an off several times a day for the past few days just to see what it says: and I'd be horrified if I were trying to "make" it say something by any particular time. (I want it to be five pounds less than last week by tomorrow morning, for example and the ways to make it "do" that are scary to me.)

1lb a week is reasonable. But more than meeting any particular scale target--you are consistently meeting your daily target to stay on plan--and that's amazing! And inspiring.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Just know that it would be next to impossible to have a 1 lb loss week after week after week - for the next several months. It just can't happen. You may have 2 lb weeks. And who knows, every now and then a 3 lb-er. But most likely, there will be some 1/2 lb weeks, some nuttin weeks and dare I even say it a week or two with a slight gain. So please be prepared for those. You know what to do when those not as pretty weeks come along. Plod. Plod. And then plod some more.

Okay. Just re-read your post - you're looking for a 1 lb *average*. Okay. That's makes more sense to me. I think this is a great thing to shoot for. And if you don't make it there by Christmas - well then, you'll just have to keep plodding along - till Easter or till whenever. You'll get to that goal of yours. I know it for sure, just don't know WHEN.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 PM   #7  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

You are one smart cookie (err... lady) and everyone already said what I was going to say. Keep on keepin on my friend and you'll be at goal at no time.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I get hung up on that kind of stuff, too. I psychologically mess with myself, LOL! The thing that's different this time is that I recognize it and then STOP it before I give up out of frustration. I like the term "plod" because it is so realistic. To me it just means keep going whether you want to or not, whether it's fun or not. It's kind of a "messy" word, like trecking through mud or something. Sometimes it's just a nice sidewalk, but sometimes it's dirty and sludgy, but it will get me to my destination and THAT'S WHAT MATTERS!

I think aiming for a one pound average a week is realistic and I think it's awesome that you were aware that you were getting "hung up" on a particular number and that you modified your plan accordingly. That is really awesome!!!
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #9  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Thankyou, you are very kind ladies!

and ps, I did go for a walk today that I didn't want: took one of the dogs out for half an hour while lunch was cooking. Nice enough day, nice enough dog but it was a bit of a chore, like the ironing; did it though.
(Ironing next)
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #10  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

You will get there...when you get there. Me too. It takes how long it takes and that's how long it takes...I'm feeling a bit zen today I guess.

I totally gave up on date-related goals months ago. As long as my clothes keep getting bigger and bigger, I really don't care anymore. I think you are doing FANTASTIC and you are totally going to get there!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote