Old 06-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #1  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Default What's keeping me from the gym?

Hubby and I have a gym membership. It's very inexpensive - $29 a month pays for both of us. It's a "no frills" gym with just cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, and some Swiss balls and sit-up mats. No classes, no pool, no tennis courts. It's also open 24/7, so there are absolutely no excuses for us not to go. But do we? Nope.

I went to the gym last week for the first time in probably six months and walked on the treadmill for 30 minutes. It felt good! I loved that I accomplished something quasi-athletic. But have I gone back? Nope.

There are a few reasons why, but they're crappy reasons. One is that I can't get hubby to come. He doesn't like to exercise after about 6:00 P.M. because it keeps him up late. If I don't grab him in the 10-minute window between him getting off work and him changing out of his work clothes, he won't go. He really *needs* to go (like me!), but just won't.

So why don't I just go when *I* want to go and not worry about hubby going (or not going)?

Second crappy reason: I've lost 35 lbs., but I still weigh 235 lbs. I am afraid people will be talking about me behind my back while I'm using the weight machines. How stupid is THAT?! WHO CARES? Besides, I know that when I see a larger person at the gym, I'm rooting for them because I know how much courage it takes and I'm proud of them for not being a chicken (like I'm being).

So - I'm making a committment with all y'all (yes, "all y'all" is English! ) as my witnesses: I will go to the gym on Sunday afternoon after church. On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, I will go at 1:00. I'm taking Wednesday off. On Tuesday, and Thursday I will do a 10 minute cardio warmup and one circuit of the machines. On Sunday, Monday, Friday, and Saturday I will walk at least 30 minutes on the treadmill.

So there. Keep me to it!

Last edited by Jennelle; 06-06-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 AM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

First off, nobody looks at you at your gym, or if they do, they go in their heads "hey good for her" then back to their little world. Really. I promise!!

Second, who cares if DH goes or not? Really?? Go anyway!

Thirdly, and most importantly, don't overthink it JUST DO IT. It's non-negotiable. You don't think about it, you don't talk yourself into or out of it, you just do it.

You can totally do it. If I can, anyone can. I am professionally lazy.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Oh wonderful! You can do this, really you can! When you get back--put the session in your signature as I did with mine. I can tell you I got quite uncomfortable while I was posting all day Friday and didn't see anything for Wed and Thurs (though there were excellent reasons for not doing it, I'm sure!).

Yep--start a new thread, in fact. I love cheering folks on!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Well done on the commitment!

My gym is 20 mins drive away, sounds similar provision but not 24/7. I manage twice a week but I know I could do better. When I get back from holiday I will copy you! Try, anyway.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #5  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Yay for Gym Determination

Hi Jennelle - Kudos for your determination to get to they gym.

I have some sympathy for your DH. I have a similar window. If I leave work an hour later than usual, my gym desires go to flat zero; just don't want to go.

Would it work for you to meet him at the door already in your gym shorts? With his gym clothes laid out on the bed? Maybe even with a protein shake already made. (A whey protein milk shake is part of my ritual for going to the gym. I look forward to it and, of course, couldn't consider not going after consuming it. There is a manly appeal to consuming whey protein; it's necessary to build muscles. If you guys are not into it, you might buy some and get him hooked. Something like Muscle Milk might get his testosterone flowing, LOL.)

As for size, when I first went to the gym I'd look at myself in the mirror as I sat on an exercise ball and I'd see the cartoon picture of a bunny that I drew as a kid as a ball on a ball. It made me laugh. I thought everybody would be laughing at me also. But, alas, they didn't even see me, LOL. Everybody else was pretty absorbed in their own little world.

Good luck.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #6  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 286/275.8/185

Height: 5'6

Your gym sounds a lot like mine.

I first got my gym membership last March. I was all excited when I joined, went once, and then got hit by some major fatigue and never went back. It took me 7 months after DH and I got married to convince him to sign on to my membership, and I just got him to go last week. Even after I got him to sign on, I didn't go either! It wasn't until they opened a new location that I actually drive by on my way home from work every day. Since that one opened, I've gone to the gym every day I've worked. I feel better for it, and I've been making sure to do stuff at home on the days I don't go to the gym.

I'm bigger than you are, and when I'm not at the gym, I have that paranoia of people staring and stuff, but when I go, no one every does. Ok, that's not true, I've noticed a few of the uber gym guys looking at me, but it was more like WTG not eww gross.
glutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I think you have to go no matter what DH does. If you're going all the time, you might even guilt him into going! ha! Maybe it isn't an option for you, depending on work, etc, but since it is 24/7, could you get up early and go then? That has worked wonders for me. By the time I get home from work... and I have kids to run around, too... all I wanted to do was relax. So I started to go to the gym early, before work. I get my workout, take my shower and get ready there, and then off to work. I get such a great feeling for having my workout done for the day! Smug would describe the feeling!

As for people watching you, I know that they don't. I, too, had a fear of that, but if you look around, people are usually all about themselves in the gym. And that's good! There is a wide range of people that workout at my gym. I am not the biggest one there, or the oldest, or whatever. I don't find myself looking at others and worrying about what they do. I'm just into me, and "my time".

You can do it. I just started at this gym back on March 2nd. It was hard at first, but now I go 6 days a week. If I can, so can you! And you'll miss it when you don't get to go!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #8  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

I just went to the gym for the first time last week and I joined back in January!! When I went regulary back a couple years, I was so addicted to the gym, I even went a Christmas day, never missed a day. So I am hoping it happens again. I signed up for classes tues and thurs and will weights Mon, wed, fri. I truly believe after you start going you will become addicted to. We can do it!!
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #9  

Woot! Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going at 2:00 today. I'll update when I get home!
Old 06-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #10  

Update: I went to the gym at 2:00 and did 35 minutes on the treadmill.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #11  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Yay for the Gym

Yay for going to the gym.

Maybe you've started a trend!!!!
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #12  

Woot! Two days in a row! I did 30 minutes on the elliptical...borrowed daughter's MP3 player. It's easy to work out hard when you're listening to the Dropkick Murphys at full volume!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM   #13  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh my gosh, Jennelle --- didn't you know that music is THE must have for working out??

I am having a similar problem with my son, who claims to want to do some lifting with me, for whom I have paid good money for a family membership to our rec center and now is completely putzing out on me. And gosh! it makes it so much easier not to go if he doesn't. So I am going to imitate YOU, you lovely lady of loads of inspiration --- I have a set time I am hitting the gym from now on and he can either be at the car with his tennies on or I will just go alone.

Kudos to you for the winning streak! Keep it up!
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #14  
BELIEVE!

Yay Jennelle! Keep on going! You are taking care of YOU and that's what's important. It will become a habit and you'll love it!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #15  
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle View Post
Woot! Two days in a row! I did 30 minutes on the elliptical...borrowed daughter's MP3 player. It's easy to work out hard when you're listening to the Dropkick Murphys at full volume!
Nice choice. I want the new Black Eyed Peas!

Jenelle I love you and glad to see your going, no excuses and perhaps you should through, "Such a Pretty Fat" on there by the by Jen Lancaster. She is the excuse queen and she is hilarious. If you haven't read her yet, I am telling you DO! It's summer.

WAY TO GO!
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote