Old 06-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default I love shopping, and that isn't a good thing!

Now that I can fit into smaller clothes, I am loving shopping and trying new clothes on. This isn't a good thing, cause I always buy the clothes. I tried to shop at goodwill, and even ebay, but they are so hit and miss sometimes. I guess I just need to limit myself to a couple new items a month. I have even found that I haven't been able to stay in them for real long, cause I want to continue losing weight and things I bought 6 months ago, are now starting to become big on me. ( YEA! ) but at the same time Ouch for my checkbook.

What do you guys do to keep from breaking the bank.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't. My closet is stuffed. I got rid of my fat clothes and will admit I have too many.I do not have one pair of elastic waist pants and no sweats, I used to live in sweats.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I just buy clothes. All the time. Because I want to and it's fun. Is it budget friendly? Well I do try to shop the sales and I don't buy EXPENSIVE items right now... but I do buy a lot
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I call it retail therapy.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Last time I lost over 100 lbs I became a total clothes horse. And thank goodness I kept all those clothes, because they are starting to fit now. But that doesn't keep me from getting new ones LOL. I do try to shop sales and keep expenses down but the thing is, I need to stay motivated (and committed! as my friend Rockin Robin says!) and I need to feel good about myself. I deserve beautiful clothes because I am a beautiful person. When I weighed nearly 400 lbs, all I wore were ratty sweats, crappy tennis shoes and worn-out T-shirts. No more! I am always well dressed now. And people treat you a lot differently when you are put together. It's just going to be part of who I am from now on. I have to look nice! LOL
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #6  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

My only advice is to try and shop only good sales for everyday pieces, and save full price items for special occasion wear only . Congrats on the weightloss!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Last time I lost over 100lbs I became as indiscriminate about my shopping as I had previously been about my eating. I bought not expensive but more expensive things and I bought a lot, a lot for me anyway, not Carrie Bradshaw lots. The I regained some weight and had to buy more. Then I went bankrupt, then I regained a total of 89lbs, now I'm working on controlling my shopping at the same time as my eating. I am terrified of not losing all I need to this time - if anything I'm even more terrified of running out of money again. Good for the soul, I expect.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post

What do you guys do to keep from breaking the bank.
I wouldn't know. I'm a certified "shop-a-holic". I feel that "I've got it coming to me". You know, making up for lost time and all that. My closets and drawers are stuffed, absolutely stuffed with gorgeous clothing. GORGEOUS. Not only are my closets stuffed, but I've stuffed up my DH's closets as well. I've got clothing everywhere. In plastic bins. Under the bed. In the linen closet. Yeah, making up for lost time.

The year, I was losing, oooh that was hard. I knew I wasn't staying in "those sizes" for very long. Knew it for sure. So, I kept it to a few new pieces, a few very on sale pieces, every month or so. Oh and I became very, very friendly with my tailor. She altered some stuff for me as my size was plummeting.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:19 AM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I love to shop too but financially I can't do it often. Yesterday I hit Goodwill and found some really nice tight shirts and a few more pairs of jeans. Just how many pairs of jeans does a girl really need? I think I have atleast 15 pairs now in size 4 and 6!! I also discovered short dresses again, I love those. I threw out any pants above a size 8 last week to make room for new stuff.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I wouldn't know. I'm a certified "shop-a-holic". I feel that "I've got it coming to me". You know, making up for lost time and all that. My closets and drawers are stuffed, absolutely stuffed with gorgeous clothing. GORGEOUS. Not only are my closets stuffed, but I've stuffed up my DH's closets as well. I've got clothing everywhere. In plastic bins. Under the bed. In the linen closet. Yeah, making up for lost time.

The year, I was losing, oooh that was hard. I knew I wasn't staying in "those sizes" for very long. Knew it for sure. So, I kept it to a few new pieces, a few very on sale pieces, every month or so. Oh and I became very, very friendly with my tailor. She altered some stuff for me as my size was plummeting.
a tailor is a good idea. It isn't to expensive to get something like jeans and dress pants taken in, is it?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

Pants are not all that cheap to alter. Just taking in the waist is no biggie. But once they start tapering the legs and behind and all, it can get a bit costly. So, it's got to be a pair you really love.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #12  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

WHEN I LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT A MILLION YEARS AGO. I found that I was shopping instead of eating. I replaced eating w/spending money.Too bad I couln't replace it w/exercise. Now I have a bunch of clothes that don't fit.But
I do plan to fit in them some day.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
WHEN I LOST A LOT OF WEIGHT A MILLION YEARS AGO. I found that I was shopping instead of eating. I replaced eating w/spending money.Too bad I couln't replace it w/exercise. Now I have a bunch of clothes that don't fit.But
I do plan to fit in them some day.

I am finding this too. Shopping instead of eating and just lying around ( what my weekends consisted of before losing some weight ) Spending money, buying clothes, it is somewhat a kind of medicine for me. It makes me feel good about myself, and boots my self esteem to know I am fitting into smaller clothes.

*thanks for the info Robin. I try real hard to not spend over $40.00 on jeans, ever. Most of my jeans are in the $25.00 area.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:59 AM   #14  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I shop and often! It's one of my past times! I am hugely thrifty though as anyone on 3FC can tell you if they have been here for more than a couple of weeks. LOL.

We have excellent and I do mean EXCELLENT thrift stores. Any day I want I find Banana Republic, Chicos, Lucky, 7 for All Mankind, Ann Taylor etc. on the racks and in my size. I have WAY too many things. I cannot help it. I love it. I bought a pair of cocoa brown Tribella shorts yesterday with the tags still on them from Steinmart of a $1. I bought a rich camel brown silk top for $1.50. I do know there are lots of thriftshops around the country that are crap. My advice is to go into the better areas and comb the racks.

At the prices I pay usually, I could logically have a garage sale and sell my items for more than I pay if I wanted to.

I also live in the same town as the biggest mall in Texas. I do go through somtimes and shop--I bought my swimsuits new for instance--same for my undergarments and sleepwear. I also love nice jewelry pieces.

I have no solutions. It is definitely better than eating. I also find it motivating to try new looks I haven't before. HAVE FUN!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 06-07-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornToFly View Post

*thanks for the info Robin. I try real hard to not spend over $40.00 on jeans, ever. Most of my jeans are in the $25.00 area.
To taper pants is at least 25 bucks, so it most likely wouldn't pay. For sure stick to the lesser priced stuff.