Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/160

Height: 5'11

Default food is making me sick....

i dont know why, but every time i eat something it gives me a terrible stomach ache. of course everything im eating is on plan and healthy, so i dont understand why its making me feel so bad and whats worse is then im skipping the gym more often because i dont feel good.
xpinkglowx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

You could be gluten or lactose intolerant or have some type of food allergies. Your doctor could run some tests to check.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:56 PM   #3  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

My first thought was maybe ulcers or excess stomach acid.

Although if it turns out that it is the latter please be careful using antacids. Make sure it's high not low (a simple test is to see if after eating and you have the stomach ache if a couple tablespoons of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in water helps any - or makes it worse - if better then it's LOW stomach acid). My BF's mother used them for years and we've since discovered my BF who is genetically inclined to the same thing really had the opposite of high stomach acid and taking antacids actually hurt you more and more. I wonder to this day if she wasn't getting the nutrition she needed all her life because of her dependence on the antacids and that's what shortenned her life ultimately.

Going to a doctor is important if this continues - but there are some simple natural things you can try in the meantime - my BF relies on probiotics daily, enzymes with a particularly heavy meal and his "ginger chews". Candies that are high in ginger. I have the opposite - I get high stomach acid from two much acidity, spicy foods and wine, but ginger is also a great tonic for me. Even a teaspoon of cooking ginger (ground stuff you use for cookies) in hot water and honey will help.

The heavy hitters for low stomach acid include charcoal tablets and HCL. But these are for temporary use and I recommend doing some research as there are "ways to use them" to help heal.

Feel free to PM me if you want to alternative treatments first but don't know which way to go - high or low stomach acid. We just went through months of this so I might be able to give you some ideas. But if you don't pinpoint it right away I really recommend going to your doctor.

Food allergies though I'm not so familiar with though but is definitely worth researching - I agree with poster above.

If it's so bad it is keeping you from exericising and immediate natural alternatives don't help, though - you should get this checked out.
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #4  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

i would try to figure out what makes you ill... 1 day take out gluten(wheat products), then if your fine you will know..or take out certain foods...its a long process, but you will feel better in the end

ang
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Go to your doctor. It sounds like an ulcer to me, although your doctor may know of other things it could be too. Ulcers are easily treated with antibiotics.

If you think it's something like gluten intolerance (celiac disease), your doctor can test for that as well.

Last edited by zenor77; 06-06-2009 at 02:18 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #6  
Rising from the ashes....

Default See a doc

Please see a doc soon. If what you are feeling is pain after eating and not burning or an "acidy" type feeling I would be suspicious of an ulcer.

There is a bacteria that can cause ulcers but it can be treated easily with medication.

Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by OnTargetforLife; 06-06-2009 at 02:19 PM.
OnTargetforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

It could also be a reaction to increased fiber. If you're healthy eating is drastically higher in fiber, that is a lot of salads, fresh veggies, and fresh fruits, it can take a while for your digestive system to adjust.

I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) and I had to gradually increase high fiber foods. I've been able to increase the amount of veggies and fruit I now eat (my new normal) so I can eat more without symptoms, but still If I eat a lot more than my new "normal" I still get very bad stomach cramps.

I think seeing a doctor is a good idea to rule out things like ulcers, diverticulitis, colitis, IBS, allergies...
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #8  

it seems to be after breakfast. i dont eat breakfast extremely early and ive never had a problem eating breakfast before, so i didnt think that was it. usually for breakfast ill eat a bowl of special k cereal, a yogurt, and a piece of fruit. if it continues, ill def. see a doctor. thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #9  
Always Learning

I used to have a similar problem after breakfast, it was because of milk in my cereal (too much dairy) HTH

Last edited by 8675309; 06-06-2009 at 03:34 PM.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I would also suspect dairy. Lactose intolerance is pretty common (and can have varying severity). I'm mildly lactose intolerant. Milk gives me a stomach ache if I drink more than about a half a cup. I have better luck with yogurt and cheese (because the fermentation/ripening process breaks down much of the lactose), but I have to watch all dairy servings. My BIL is VERY lactose-intolerant and even small amounts of dairy make him very sick.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:34 AM   #11  

hmm that could be it, my mom gets sick if she drinks too much milk too.. i just found it odd because ive never had the problem before. ill try and cut down on the milk and see if that helps.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #12  
Starting Again ... Again

Height: 5' 4.5" or so

Intolerances can sneak up on you! We took my son off gluten to see if it would help with his ASD symptoms at all and I decided to do it with him just for moral support. Turns out I feel a million times better without the gluten in my diet so could very well have been living with a gluten intolerance and not even known it! Now when I have even a bite of something with gluten my digestive system is NOT happy with me.
whoopseedaisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #13  

yeah... im not sure if its milk/.. i just ate a fat free muffin for breakfast and after the first bite, my stomach hurts. this is so odd. its only in the morning.but unfortunately i work the morning shift, and if i dont eat before i go to work, when i come home im starving.