Old 06-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Help! How can I get more veggies in my diet?

I'd like to eat more veggies, a lot more, especially green, leafy ones. However, I cant stand eating homemade salads- they make me want to gag.

Suggestions, please! How can I sneak more veggies into my meals?
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

baby spinach in everything! its already washed and small pieces, so no prep work...throw it in soup, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, sandwiches, wraps...yum!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

This may sound nuts but I stir-fry salad greens a lot. Just a bit of oil in the pan, add greens and stir a bit, then put the lid on if they aren't wilted down enough. i sometimes add a bit of soy sauce or sesame oil. It's a great way to get in a lot of greens since they really cook down. $ cups of leaf lettuce becomes ½ cup or less!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

I just bring frozen steamable veggies to work so they are convenient. So I try to eat them with lunch and dinner. And this is easier sometimes, too because fresh veggies may rot in the fridge before my non culinary butt will cook them. Hubby does not eat most veggies. So I just have to make myself make them, because otherwise my side items will include such high carb items as rice, pasta,etc... veggies fill me up with less calories and more vitamins. Or add more baby carrots or sliced bell peppers or cukes. Just go easy on your dips. sorry so long.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnywish View Post
baby spinach in everything! its already washed and small pieces, so no prep work...throw it in soup, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, sandwiches, wraps...yum!
I second that... I know u said u don't like homemade salads, so I'm thinkin you like salads at restaurants.... so maybe make a salad you'll actually eat! Not just a plain ole' rabbit food one. I used to hate salads, but I'm starting to really love them. I make them: 1cup salad mix, 1 cup baby spinach, 1/2c of tomatoes & onions, 3oz grilled/baked chicken breast sliced, 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese, 1 tbsp seasoned slivered almonds, & 1 tbsp Extra Light Olive Oil. And if I'm feeling like I want a really yummy salad I add on a sliced hard boiled egg. It is so good, way better than a restaurant version. (ByTheWay light oive oil tastes way better on a salad than the Extra Virgin, I save that for cooking with.)

I just found a breakfast recipe that I'm in love with. I make scrambled eggs and then the last 3 mins I put 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes & a sprinkle of baby arugula leaves and then have toast or whatever else for breakfast. The arugula leaves are kind of peppery & bitter by themselves but when eatin with the tomato & egg, omg! my taste buds throw a party. It is sooo good! And it's a leafy green! When I'm out of arugula I sub spinach too.

But I put baby spinach on everything, I always make sure I add it on if I go to Subway or Pita Pit or anything like that.

Plus since I know I need to get the benefits of the cruciferous (sp?) vegetables. Now instead of eating a sandwich with just chips. I buy my fav chip dip & potato chips and measure out an ounce of chips and 2-4tbsp of my chip dip. And then eat a cup of either broccoli or cauliflower and dip it in my chip dip. It helps fill me up and makes me happy I added a veggie instead of going back to eat half the bag of chips. Some people prolly wouldn't like all those extra calories but it works for me, I'm not ready to give up my chip habit and this way every time I have chips I have broccoli! Carrot chips would work too! (ooo, thanx! new idea for me! )

Last edited by Platinum; 06-05-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I also just thought that now that summer is here! Grill Veggies! Get some skewers and grilled onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, baby red potatoes chunks or whatever else you like.

I also love to stir fry green onions & mushrooms when I eat steak.

I've had such a problem changing my diet that only recently have I realized that I can't suddenly change how I eat and strictly eat healthy all the time. So what I've been doing and whats worked for me the last few weeks has been to just add veggies in with what I eat normally. I figure once I've added in fruits & veggies in where its habitual, then I can focus on eating healthier overall. Maybe some day I can eat my broccoli without dip, but for now it's the only way to make it tasty for me to eat it. I figure that will be my problem when I'm down 10-20lbs from goal. And by then eating healthy will be a natural part of my lifestyle. But it starts here by making these small changes and additions. I've also taken to eating for a snack 1 cup mixed Cherries & Red Grapes with 1 oz of nuts with a glass of water. Any nuts will do, but I usually do 1/2 oz of almonds and then half oz of either: crushed walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, cashews or macadamias. It is the most super healthy snack ever and its tasty and I feel good about it plus I get 1 fruit in & 1 healthy fat for the day.

Last edited by Platinum; 06-05-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 138kg/127kg/72kg (304/280/160)

Height: 5foot 7inches

I can total understand the meat and potato tradition. My family loves meat. Loves potato. Loves pasta and rice. I try to make things they don't even realise they are eating. Spag Bol - lots of onions (next to no oil) Lots of veg - just throw in some of those harvest mixes - peas corn carrot bean cauliflower and brocoli and serve sparingly with pasta. They eat it.

Often fresh tomatoes are just too dear but I'll make up a can of tomatoes with sauteed onion and a little lean diced bacon thicken with a smig of corn flour. Serve with a bit of meat. The troops will come back for more.

Mushrooms done with onion and a little bacon with a skim milk mornay sauce is really nice too - and not really bad for you (watch your oil and thickeners - steer clear of cream.

Salads can be boring but you can get the dressings from Kraft that only have a few calories and no fat which taste pretty good. Mind you, I love salad - you know the old fashioned ones like Gran used to make with the lettuce, beetroot, cucumber, tomato and the purple onions. Sometimes it would have some pineapple pieces and cheese. Served with some home cooked corn beef or cold roast lamb. Yummy!!!

Soups and stir-fries are a great way of injecting veg into your day as well.

Be adventurous. Garlic, herbs and spices zing it up. It may be good or may be the bin might end up getting it.
Meggie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:35 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

I like to put veggie burgers on my spinach salad. The heat from the burgers helps wilt the salad, and changes the texture. It's also good over baby greens. You could get the same effect probably with chicken or fish, as long as it's hot.

I had 'lettuce soup' a couple of weeks ago, and it was very good! It was a potato soup base, and my friend cooked the baby greens with it and then pureed it. It was nice and peppery (all from the lettuce), and a beautiful dark green.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:57 PM   #9  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Pureed vegetable soups (I have an awesome recipe!)
Mixing them in with spaghetti (vegetable primavera)
Eat them at dinner!
Eat a serving with lunch
Make grilled sandwiches with veggies. I love my panini maker and I'll take two pieces of decent bread, put a slice of provolone or mozzarella, then top it with zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, red peppers, eggplant, etc, and grill it. It's delicious and healthy!

I buy most of my veggies frozen. I get large bags of vegetable medley - they're not seasoned or buttered - and just boil them. I love vegetables and don't mind them plain.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #10  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

KELLY~I eat boca burgers~There veggie burgers and taste nothing like veggies.
They taste great(like meat) and are gonna be a blessing for cookouts this summer.Also another way would be to add pickles~tomatos to one of the burgers~I thought I hated that stuff until I actually tried it the other day.
GOOD LUCK~AND CONGRADULATIONS ON BEING SO CLOSE to 100lbs lost.
Your kicking major butt!

Last edited by Lori259; 06-06-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #11  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

OH~Another great thing that is low calories I nearly forgot is vegetable soup from a can~Quick & easy to just heat up and eat and very low in calories about 100 per a huge serving.(even if you hate it eat it a few times a week with something good you like)

Last edited by Lori259; 06-06-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: maintaining at 135-140

Height: 5'5"

Green smoothies! This is a great way to start your day. I started on these three weeks ago and have made them every day. I use mostly spinach or kale. The trick is to use about 60% fruit and 40% greens. Start with less greens at first to get the hang of it and see how much you like. Blend very well in a blender,and add sweetener if you want. I add splenda and a little bit of vanilla extract. I always use a banana and a couple other fruits such as oranges, peaches, strawberries, kiwi, etc. Anything you like. If you do a search for "green smoothie" there is a ton of info and recipes. You will also digest them better due to the way they are ground up so well.

Last edited by Bluebird; 06-13-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Bluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #13  
Marina

S/C/G: 317/286/190

Height: 5'9

I cannot stand steamed veggies for the life of me but LOVE veggies in my version of Chicken Tortilla Soup

I throw everything into a crockpot and let it simmer all day

1 can of no salt added corn
3 zucchini cut into thick slices (then halved)
1 can of garlic roasted and diced tomatoes
3 chicken breasts (fresh or thawed)
2-3 cups of chicken broth (regular or low sodium)
2 cups of water
(optional)
1 container of frozen chopped Hatch chilies- I live in Arizona and this may be regional but if you like spicy get a can or 2 of chopped green chile's and throw them in...so good!

I cook this all day on low if I am working or 4 hours on high if I am at home. Once done, I grab the chicken and shred it w/ 2 forks and throw it back in. You may want to season w/ sea salt and pepper (I do) as well as cut your fixins to put on top of your bowl of CTS. Here are a few of our favorites

Chopped Avocado's
Crushed tortilla chips
Reduced-fat shredded cheese
Lime wedges
Fat free sour cream

I dont know the points count nor the caloric content but from you can see, no oil is added or much fat unless you go crazy w/ the avocado (good fat) and shredded cheese.

Last edited by ThickAZChick; 09-11-2009 at 03:25 PM.
ThickAZChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #14  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I posted my favorite greens recipe, a chicken stir fry, on my 3FC blog. It's astounding how many greens we can consume in that dish and it's so good. DH asks for it whenever he's having digestive problems -- swears it clears him right out!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs...greens-recipe/
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #15  
Marina

S/C/G: 317/286/190

Height: 5'9

OMG Gardnerjoy- just printed your recipe! I love trying new recipes and this one looks soooo yummy! I love love love greens! Thank you!
ThickAZChick is offline   Reply With Quote