Old 06-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Ok--so the honeymoon "rush" is over--now what?

The thrill is gone. Now, it's just the slog ahead.

Man, I can hear you all now,

"Where is that girl's fortitude? Her perseverance? Good grief, it isn't even a full two weeks of the intitial committment yet--and not even a WEEK of eating on plan, and already she's bored? Already, she's freaking out that for the rest of her life lunch is going to consist of wraps with shredded carrots and spinach (among other things, but those two are constant). Tsk Tsk."

Say it isn't so.
Please.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

You can certainly swap out different things for lunch. Most people find it convenient to make the same things, but your choices are unlimited. Even though the weather is technically warmer (yeah right) I had a big serving of beefy minestrone soup today with (homemade/high protein) cheese bread and an apple. When I'm tired of soup for lunch I'm likely to go back to roast beef and lettuce on a whole grain wrap. Although last summer I was making veggie/pasta salad, which was nice.

I tend to be a tough love kind of gal. I'm not sure what your usual lunches were, but, no you likely won't be able to go back to your old way of eating. For most people (myself included) that's what put on the weight in the first place.

Last edited by RealCdn; 06-05-2009 at 04:52 PM.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's pretty early in. You're not quite in a groove yet. Your good and new habits have not developed yet. Your tastes haven't changed. You're still craving "those foods". Your desire for them has not dried up yet. But they will.

And you haven't had a chance to find NEW foods that you LOVE and adore, so that you're not missing your OLD foods. It's going to take some time till you find new recipes and food ideas.

You haven't seen any *real* results yet - your dress size isn't going down, the compliments aren't coming, you probably don't feel much lighter. In other words, the rewards are not yet surfacing. But hang tight, stick with it and they will. They will.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

What now? Now you get to experiment with different recipes, different proteins. Finding new healthy foods that you LOVE and look forward to just as much as the junk. Some days is it slog? Totally. Most days it's an adventure though... you just have to make it one!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

When you zip up that smaller pair of jeans you will get a HEAD RUSH! Keep thinking about THAT!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #6  
4 suzy

S/C/G: 279/268/160

Height: 5'9"

I think just by posting you are still on the right track. Have you tried jounaling to write out some of the positive things that will change if you continue down the path - either one? I decided that once I reached goal a certain (too be determined) prince charming was going to take me an amusement park where I can go on any ride I want not worrying about if I will be too big. I'm not saying it's going to happen, it was just to do some positive visualization.

I am with you sometimes the food can be boring and for me I have to take the focus away from the food. A new hobby (I'm trying to learn how to sew). Or I put on my headphones and clean that way I can't hear the evil one wisper in my ear.

Junk food taste good that's all it can give you. It won't solve any problems or make you feel better about yourself. On the other hand if you stay in control and committed to you and healty eating, you, we, I will feel better about ourselves and give our bodies what it need to carry us into a better future.

If you quit today where will you be in a year. If you stick with it where will you be in a year.
the final countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #7  
Starting over

Oh yeah--lunch used to be Kraft-Dinner. (I'm at home with the kids.) Or frozen breaded chicken nuggets. But even the oven "fried" roasted potatoes are off the menu now.

I've chosen to follow a 1600 calorie/day portion control plan designed by Bob Greene (yeah, of Oprah fame).

I crunched some of the numbers today and it breaks down like this:

720 calories or 45% carbs. (Fruit, veg and grain)
225 calories or 14% fat, and
655 calories or 41% protein (dairy and "meat")

I'm not sure why I'm telling you all this. I think I could go for a big batch of soup for supper.It's cold and dreary out there. (But then how do I work in my protein??? I have to eat 4 more oz today).
Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #8  
Starting over

Sorry, I wrote all the baove when there weren't quite so many responses. I do think it's about discovering new food. The last four and 1/2 days "on plan" have been very interesting--I'm already falling into predictable ruts. (Not that I didn't when my eating habits were bad...the food was just different and I didn't care. I could "enjoy" myself with a piece of cheesecake!

Of course it doesn't help my 8 year old daughter keeps nagging me to make carrot cake. (I bought the cream cheese for the icing--full fat--last week before I realised I was "ready" for the change! I have 3 servings of Jello made up in the fridge to satisfy a sweet tooth I had last week--and I want some, but I'm not sure how to count it--as a fruit? And of course I want a dollop of whipped cream on it--though I could use on of my "fats" for it.)

arrgh....
Old 06-05-2009, 05:48 PM   #9  
Anne

Well, I eat a slightly lower percentage of protein (30+) and let the other macros fall where they will. I also eat a little more.

However, make that big batch of soup for dinner and cook whatever protein you were planning. Then take your serving of soup and shred in (or chop) the meat. I usually make 'chock-full-of protein' soup, but then if you want a low calorie 'add on' it's usually too high in cals.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #10  
Anne

I'm not quite sure about the carrot cake, but I've managed to lighten up a number of baked goods (and nobody ever guesses). You can substitute most (but not all) of the fat with applesauce, and use either less sugar, or a sugar/sugar substitute blend. I admit I also use soy flour and sometimes protein powder (but they both change the texture a fair bit and took a couple of attempts before I found a good balance).

The icing, you'd probably have to skip (or scrap most of it off). But remember, reinventing high cal treats into low cal treats is an adventure in itself.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #11  
Starting over

Thanks Anne.

Rockin'Robin--you got it! I've noticed you have a gift with words. You just have the most amazing ability to hit the nail on the head--every single time. Yep, that's where I'm at.

So, I'm trying out Glory's Minestrone Soup for supper. I love cheese with it, usually, so I may have a couple of ounces.

I may let my daughter and her friend make the carrot cake tomorrow afternoon --and then persuade the friend to take home 1/2 the cake. I'm not quite "ready" to start messing with recipes for baked goods. In time, perhaps (though I already substitute 1/2 the oil for applesauce. It calls for a whopping 1/2 cup!!)

The journaling is a good idea, too. I just thought today that I'm looking forward to being able to put on my socks and shoes with ease.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hmmm. Just thinking it's a little bit early on in the game to try experimenting with baked goods. For me, that is killer and without a doubt just about the hardest thing to resist. I went months and months and months before I baked anything at home. I'd throw away the cream cheese, or vow to use it for something else. If your DD insists on carrot cake and you decide she should have it, I 'd buy one of those prepackaged singular serving ones. Remember - it is imperative to set yourself up for success. Don't throw needless temptation your way.

And jello is definitely not a fruit.

As far as the percentages go, the only numbers I really strive to hit - day in and day out - is my calories consumed. Of course I make sure that those calories are nutrient rich ones, and that I eat protein and fiber often (just about every meal/snack) but I don't sweat the other numbers - fats, carbs, proteins. Counting my calories - and being choosy - takes care of everything else.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:58 PM   #13  
Starting over

Quote:
And jello is definitely not a fruit.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

(It's funny, I never, ever eat the stuff. It's ironic I even have it.)
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #14  
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Hmmm. Just thinking it's a little bit early on in the game to try experimenting with baked goods. For me, that is killer and without a doubt just about the hardest thing to resist. I went months and months and months before I baked anything at home. I'd throw away the cream cheese, or vow to use it for something else. If your DD insists on carrot cake and you decide she should have it, I 'd buy one of those prepackaged singular serving ones. Remember - it is imperative to set yourself up for success. Don't throw needless temptation your way.
True. I tend to forget these things as I'm not really a cake person. I do make a chocolate zucchini cake though that I've turned into a high protein / lower fat kind of cake (using soy flour). I tend to forget it's even in the freezer (although I'll eat it a couple of days a week, daily while in school). I usually sit down the night before and plan what I'm going to eat the next day, and rarely waver, so for me if it's not on the list I don't eat it. My only truly bad days are when I don't plan ahead.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #15  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

everyone's different - a lot of people, after a while living the good life really hate the 'old' stuff they used to eat -- me, I will always love mashed potatoes and gravy LOL no matter what, I'll always like it. Do I always eat it? Nope. I stopped caving in to my inner spoiled brat and shoving whatever the whiny little snot demanded down my throat LOL I grew up I guess??

I wish I could say it's super easy, it'll just 'click' and you'll be finished with the hard part It DOES get easier, it IS more fun when you get excited about trying new stuff, and it's more fun when you can start fitting into clothes etc.

Right now, it's kinda like scrubbing the toilet when you're doing your housework - you're gonna love the end result, but for now keep your head down and plough on through!

Last edited by Trazey34; 06-05-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote