Old 06-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

Default OT- Parents meeting for the first time

This is totally off topic, but I'm super nervous. Tomorrow night my bf's mom is meeting my parents for the first time. Unfortunately, my bf's dad passed away at the end of March, so my parents never got to meet him.

It's just this whole awkward feeling of them meeting for the first time. So we're having a whole bunch of people over for dinner to act as buffers. There will be 10 people plus a baby and a 3 year old to break the tension. My roommmate, who happens to be bf's cousin and the son of a former college of my father's, is cooking. Then we're got a bunch of other people coming as well. I'm just nervous b/c our folks are so different.

Anyone ele had the parents meet? Any suggestions?
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:38 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Are there any "hot topics" to be avoided? Things that, if they come up, are going to cause conflict? Say politics, religion, etc? If so, you can try talking to whichever side you're closer to and saying that conversation should be deflected away.

You also might want to think of things they have in common, so you can bring up conversation topics that everyone will enjoy. And if conversation stalls (as it can in groups with lots of different people with different lives), you can have topics ready to go.

Of course, in all likelihood, everyone will have a good time. If people drink, having some good wine out won't hurt either.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

Got the wine under control, my mom's bringing a few bottles. She never like to turn up anywhere empty handed, even if she's just heading over to my place for leftovers!

My parent's are good at this type of thing. The entertain a lot for work, usually 2 or 3 times a months so my mom is the master of small talk. My dad is an excellent story teller and very knowledgeable on a variety of topics. So conversation I'm not too worried about. My dad can fill any awkward silence!

I think it will go ok, it's just general nervousness.
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #4  
Hot Mama

S/C/G: 201/192/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

gl i hope your families meeting for the first time goes way better than mine did...of course mine happened almost 5 yrs after the wedding lol.
lissa9501 is offline   Reply With Quote