Old 06-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #1  
The Last 10lbs!

Default Really Yummy Dessert/Treat/Sweet Breakfast

I wasn't sure where else to put this but I wanted to share my really yummy, low point/calorie dessert 'recipe'!

I bought some lovely rhubarb today so I stewed it with sugar on the stove like you would if you were making rhubarb crumble. I used about 375g fresh rhubarb chopped into pieces and 3 tbsp of sugar (I tend to like it quite sweet - you could use way less but it doesn't amount to much if you get about 5-6 servings from it!). I then made one packet of instant oatmeal with less water so it had a gooey consistancy. I added a tbsp of the rhubarb-and-sugar to the oatmeal, stirred it around, and sprinkled it with cinnamon. For me, using Oat So Simple instant oatmeal and 3 tbsp of Silver Spoon Half Spoon sugar, it worked out to 2 WW points for the serving and tasted just like rhubarb crumble!

I'm going to store the rest of the stewed rhubarb in the fridge for the next few days and make it again. I expect that I will get about 5-6 tbsp out of it so 5-6 servings at 0.5 points a piece!

If anyone out there really likes rhubarb crumble like I do, this is a really great alternative for a sweet treat!

Last edited by freedomreins; 06-05-2009 at 01:35 PM.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #2  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

sounds very yummy...i think im going to make ruhbard crisp for dessert
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

That sounds delicious! I'm always looking for healthy ways to jazz up my oatmeal, so I'm totally going to try that.

I've never stewed rhubarb before, though - can you give me instructions on how to do that?
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #4  
The Last 10lbs!

Of course! Chop the rhubarb up and put it in a frying pan with the sugar, then cook over medium heat so the rhubarb and sugar start to make a sort of syrup. I don't like big chunks of rhubarb so I let mine go for probably 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until it is nice and soft.
freedomreins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #5  
Keep On Keepin' On!

S/C/G: 190/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Cool, thanks! Seems so easy, and delicious. I'll have to make this next week!

This week I added Honey, Blueberries, and flax seeds to my plain organic oatmeal and that was an awesome change for me too. Sooo good.
hello pinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

ooh, that sounds yummy! and there is always an overabundance of rhubarb in my mom's garden...i will have to grab some!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote