General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Exclamation Tricks to fool the hunger...

I read posts here about chicks who just aren’t hungry some days...
How can that happen??? I don’t think I had one day in my life where I wasn’t hungry...
I am hungry all the time... even when I am eating... The only time I don’t feel hungry is when I am stuffed. Even though few hours later I am thinking about food again.
I just think I don’t produce the hormone leptin at all... because I don’t have the satisfied sensation at all in my life, when it comes to food.
So I never know when I am hungry and when I just want something to eat...
I just know for sure when I am really hungry when my tummy makes the funny noises.
Am I the only one like that??
I am posting this because I am having hard time to fool my brain and keep myself from eating 24/7.
I found gum and tea my best friends on this and just wonder if someone has any other trick to share.

Last edited by belezura; 06-05-2009 at 02:00 PM.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Its hard. The best thing I've found is high fiber foods.

When I was in college, I had a period of months where I wasn't hungry. It was quite amazing and I don't know how it got turned on. I didn't eat a lot during that time. When I started eating regularly again though, the hunger came back.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #3  

I am with you.The only time in my life that I have not felt hungry is when I have had a major life stress.I can seriously always make room for more food.This is very frustrating for me.I can eat, and eat, and eat.............
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #4  
I wish!

S/C/G: 185/136/135

Height: 5'6''

Yesterday I wasn't hungry at all...today I could eat everything in the house...weird how the body works. As far as quieting the hungey voice, a strong cup of coffee often does the trick for me. Not so good for those late night hunger pangs though...
StringBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree with nelie- high fiber foods! I try to get as much fiber I can a day- usually I get like 25 grams a day- it really has made a huge difference
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #6  
Just Me

I'm unsure how much fiber a get but last time I checked I got about 95 grams in a single day. I think the minimum recommendation is 25-35? Not sure.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Can you give me an example of a high fiber day food plan?
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 131/131/112

Height: 5'3"

One thing I always find is that when its cold I get hungrier, I tend to always lose my appetite in the summer, so maybe try keeping warm? Another thing is to drink fizzy water, the bubbles fill you up (although this can make some people feel bloated) and its just fizzy water so its zero cal.
Also, beware of the gum chewing, I think I read somewhere that it can make you hungrier because your stomachs not getting the food its expecting from you chewing all the time, at the very least make sure its sugar free lol
X0Clare0X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #9  
Just Me

High fiber foods:
Veggies - All veggies have fiber but some of the lower calorie/higher fiber ones include leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, green beans. Carrots are also a good choice.
Beans - All beans have lots of good fiber
Fruit - fruit has a good amount of fiber
Whole grains - Quinoa, couscous, brown rice, etc
Nuts - have some fiber but good fats

Basically a whole foods diet
Old 06-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

ask yourself:

Are you sure you're really truly hungry?

Are you actually having obsessive thoughts about food?
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

It's also important to eat some healthy fats each day. They make you feel fuller and the monounsaturated ones, like in nuts, olive oil & avocado, can help you lose abdominal fat. I eat beans (they're so good for you too), at least 4 cups of veggies, a serving of nuts, 2 servings of dairy and plenty of protein each day. When I steam cauliflower or broccoli, I can eat several cups it's so yummy! Then you feel stuffed but it's totally healthy! I have stopped thinking about food all the time since eating this way.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #12  
Dodo

Nelie, I love your motto's,I am trying to eat for the body I want,and exercise for thr body I want, not the one I have. Thanks!
Dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:05 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 249/240/135

Height: 5'7"

I have started a food journal on Daily Plate.com and it helps to convince myself not to eat unless I am really actually hungry. I just started this whole thing less than 2 weeks ago but it seems to be helping so far.

Good Luck!
caigtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

For most of my life, I've been hungry. Not just feeling that I "could eat," but a feeling that I needed more food, sometimes even after eating until my stomach hurt.

It was sort of like that lap band commercial where the woman's hunger (lion) was transformed into a hunger (kitten) through lap band surgery. Only my lion wasn't nearly as well-behaved as the one in the commercial, just wandering through the house roaring once in a while - Mine was a lot more ferocious and aggressive, and around TOM was rabid and ticked off, too.

Mostly I was told (either nicely or not) that it was a mental problem, not a physiological one (because there's "no way" to be hungry and stuffed at the same time).

I was able to get rid of the "rabid hunger" of PMDD(think PMS on steroids) adjusting my bc to have fewer periods (like Seasonique). Hubby was skeptical that it would help at first, but he's stopped calling me werewolf.

It helped a great deal, but if anyone had told me that I could "forget to eat," I would have told them that wasn't possible, and that as Caroline Rhea once said in her stand-up routing "it takes a special kind of stupid to forget to eat."

But, when I tried low-carb dieting at my doctor's request (well, actually about a year after my doctor's request, because I thought he was nutty until I got a confirming recommendation from a doctor who had lost nearly 100 lbs herself, and her husband more than 100 lbs from a modified Atkins. It took me so long to consider low-carb, because 35 years of dieting I thought I "knew" that low-carb diets were unhealthy and ineffective).

I found that very low carb wasn't a great idea. I had no hunger, and did forget to eat (on several occasions more than 12 hours). Often, I'd forget to eat until I experience sensations I'd never associated with hunger before - nausea, dizziness, headaches, irritability. I wasn't really fit to exercise though as I'd get too light headed. So, plus side = no hunger, and fairly rapid weight loss. Down side = headaches, nausea, and unable to exercise.

I'm still working on finding my perfect "zone" (not to be confused with the Zone diet). Low enough in carbohydrates to control hunger, and high enough in carbohydrates to be able to be active and exercise at an aerobic intensity (which I can do in only in the water, at this time - what I wouldn't give to have an eternity pool).

I know that low-carb gets a lot of criticism, and not all of it undeserved. However, finding that it is the one thing that has helped significantly (other than amphetemine diet pills), I am a convert in advocating at least considering low-carb, when everything else you've tried has failed.

I did wean myself from needing large meals, by distributing my calories throughout the day in small meals. It significantly shrunk my stomach, eventually. Still, there are times when I find it useful to bulk up my meals with fiber or water. The Volumetrics book was very helpful, in that regard

The main inspiration for Volumetrics were several studies that found that volume, more than calories accounted for the perception of fullness. IN one study, people ate less and reported feeling fuller when they ate a soup/stew than those who ate a casserole (all containing the same ingredients and calories, only the soup had added water).

I do often use volume tricks to make a small amount of food seem like a larger amount. I look at it as dilution. By adding low or no calorie foods, I can make the food look bigger and take up more room in my stomach. Broth soups are great (my favorite is one can low sodium broth and one can V-8 or tomato juice and tons of whatever low-calorie veggies I have on hand). Making a meal a salad by using a large bed of shredded lettuce, or raw veggies as a base. Having "puffed" cereals for breakfast. Oatmeal seems to break the rules for me, in that I find a very small amount of oatmeal, very filling. Even the instant packets with way too much sugar are more filling to me than most other cereals.

I don't know if any of my situation applies to you. I really believe that weight issues are a unique puzzle for every one. Learning how to solve your puzzle takes a lot of trial and error, and there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
For most of my life, I've been hungry. Not just feeling that I "could eat," but a feeling that I needed more food, sometimes even after eating until my stomach hurt.
Mostly I was told (either nicely or not) that it was a mental problem, not a physiological one (because there's "no way" to be hungry and stuffed at the same time).
Our overall experiences have been very different, but sometimes I would describe my hunger exactly like that. It's very strange to be full, sometimes even uncomfortably full, and still be hungry. Not craving snacks and dessert hungry, but I want more real, wholefoods dinner hungry. There's nothing emotional eating about it. So although I don't feel that kind of hunger all the time, and it's not what caused my obesity, I do really know the feeling. You're right, it's a strange feeling.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote