General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #1  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Default Interested in becoming a personal trainer

Hi guys,

Being unemployed has given me a lot of time to think about where my life is going and what I am good at, and what I want to do with my time. This weight loss journey has really helped me focus on myself and taking care of myself... and the effects have been absolutely liberating. I feel so in control, and so strong and so good about myself when I am taking care of my body.

I kinda got to thinking that this is a feeling I would like to share with others. I guess my question is, does anyone know what it takes to become a personal trainer? Is there a certification process? Would I need to go back to school? Right now I have a Bachelor's degree in business. Would I also need training on nutrition?

Any thoughts, information or references would be greatly appreciated!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I am not unemployed (yet) thankfully! However, I too am really enjoying working out and thought this would be a good way to become my own boss. There are certification programs, etc. I would check with a reputable gym and see what their requirements are for a trainer and maybe even talk to a trainer if you know one. Also Google it, there is a lot of info out there. I also checked to see which certs Bob and Jillian have from Biggest Loser, this should get you started.

Good Luck! When I mentioned this, my entire family acted like I was nuts or something.......sigh...
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #3  

Height: 4'11"

Search for "personal trainer outlook handbook" and click on the first link that comes up (since I can't post it yet)

It's from the Occupational Outlook Handbook

My dad is a trainer, but is not his own boss - he works at the YMCA. So 3 days every week he works just doing basic things, like making sure people are using machines correctly and restocking materials. On the side, he has appointments throughout the week doing evaluations and training sessions with YMCA clients. Then, twice a week he teaches a spinning class. But a place like the Y has its own requirements, so I imagine that going solo is very different.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'd post in the weight training and resistance forum:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80

There are a few people that turned personal trainers there. There are certifications highly recommended (and may be required if hired). Its good to go through a certification program even if you were doing it on your own. I think Mel can tell you what certifications are highly regarded as I've heard her mention it before.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote