South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Woman's World Article

Hi all...there is an article about SouthBeach in WW this week - turbo SB....one of those 2 page spreads. Happy reading....
Momofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:50 AM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

Yes, I picked that up last night and it is seriously making me want to switch to SB from my current plan.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #3  

I've tried several lo carb plans but I still need a slice of bread and a banana once in a while. I found that I always missed fruit too. I will try and use some of their recipes because it does limit the amount of carbs which is a good thing.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Mom of steel -

if you research south beach diet, we DO eat bread and fruit (not much bananas though!). I just now eat whole wheat breads, and actually prefer them!! It's a great, healthy way of living...
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I guess I need to buy a copy of that mag and check it out. WW are noted for errors in their articles! There is now way they could cover all aspects of this plan in a two page spread.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #6  
Maintenance May 2011

S/C/G: 312/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofsteel View Post
I've tried several lo carb plans but I still need a slice of bread and a banana once in a while. I found that I always missed fruit too.
Not sure how you came up with this from reading the article. The article mentions that "During the first two weeks on SB, dieters follow a special [grain-free] phase of the plan that levels blood sugar..." and continues on to say "After two weeks add 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of a healthy starch, such as 1 c whole-grain cereal, 1 slice whole-grain bread or 1/2 c brown rice daily for 1 week. In following weeks, experiment with adding more fruit and healthy starch, cutting back if weight loss slows."

I bought this issue of WW as one of the gals I know from the SB Online website is featured. I thought they did a pretty good job of explaining SB for only two pages. The featured recipes (veg quiche cups, black bean salad, lettuce wraps, etc.) were ones a lot of us are familiar with and the sample menu plans were accurate and appetizing.

The only thing that made me furrow my brow was the Dessert menu suggestion of SF fudgicles, SF jello cups or SF pudding cup. I mean, those are allowed but the article sounds like you need to choose one each day. I seldom have those things.

All in all, it was a good review of the Supercharged plan, outlining the diet, exercise & menu enough to interest dieters looking for a diet plan. For those of us who are familiar with SB, there was nothing new that we didn't know. The best part about the article IMO is that it lets people know that SB is NOT another low-carb diet.

p.s. When you flip a few pages, there are calorie-killer recipes for desserts...504 cal lime cheesecake, etc. It reminded me why I don't buy this magazine anymore. LOL
mizski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Quote:
p.s. When you flip a few pages, there are calorie-killer recipes for desserts...504 cal lime cheesecake, etc. It reminded me why I don't buy this magazine anymore. LOL
Yes and there's always a dessert AND a diet on the front cover.

Thanks for your balanced opinion, Mizki. Now I need not buy the magazine - unless I want the lime cheesecake recipe!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

MomofSteel, you can have both bread and bananas (along with lots of other healthy things) on SBD. You just can't have them in the first two weeks.

As for reducing carbs, what we learned in the SBD book is that it's not a problem to eat carbs. What IS a problem is eating lots of simple sugars and refined flours (white flour). That causes your blood sugar to rise and then rapidly fall, leading to cravings, which has you eating and eating all day. Eating good carbs (whole grains, sweet potatoes, most fruit, bell peppers, etc.) doesn't do this to your blood sugar and there's no reason to restrict them (or count your carb grams!). Hope you consider SBD as a possible plan for you if the only reason for avoiding it is that you like bread and fruit.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Yummmm.....lime cheesecake.....
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #10  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #11  

I just cannot get through those 2 first weeks. I like having a wasa bread or even some Ezekial. I have a lot of trouble managing the food lists - limits and such. Today I had some carrots and Tzacki(sp...sorry!) for lunch and I don't remember that being on the list.

I do like lettuce wraps - have been eating them more. BBQ chicken or chicken salad on top.

I do think its hilarious that WW magazine posts a new diet each week with mega-calorie food in the center!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #12  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofsteel View Post
I just cannot get through those 2 first weeks. I like having a wasa bread or even some Ezekial. I have a lot of trouble managing the food lists - limits and such. Today I had some carrots and Tzacki(sp...sorry!) for lunch and I don't remember that being on the list.
Most of us felt that way before we started the plan. Funny thing is, after I got through Phase I, I didn't feel like I had to have the grains anymore. I guess I substituted lots more veggies for the breads I used to eat & I'm not missing them anymore.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I read the article, but I'm not sure that the plan should be considered South Beach. I haven't read the "supercharged book," but Dr. Agatson made it very clear in the original book and in the South Beach Heart Program book that Phase I was not for long-term use. My recollection of the article is that the woman advocated staying in Phase I or returning to Phase I far longer than Dr. Agatson recommended.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #14  
Maintenance May 2011

The Supercharged book is somewhat different than the original book. IMO the diet is more relaxed (more foods allowed, etc.).

In the article, "To prevent plateaus, all three women occasionally reverted to this grain-free phase" (Phase 1) I don't think that was worded correctly as how can one know that a plateau is coming on? I do think a lot of people on SB cut back to PH1 for a week or two when weight loss slows to shake things up.

I don't have my Supercharged book here to look for it (or maybe it was on Dr. A's blog?) but he does state that people with a lot of weight to lose can stay on PH1 longer (up to a month at a time?) Now I'm curious to find that quote...will post it if I'm successful finding it.

ETA: I found it! Now I need to find the going back on PH1 part.
Ask Dr. Agatston

Is It Okay to Extend Phase 1?

Q: Is it acceptable to remain in Phase 1 longer than two weeks if you have more than 100 pounds to lose?
—Dale C.

A: Yes, if you still have a lot of weight to lose, it is acceptable to stay in Phase 1 for longer periods. Typically, we recommend that dieters extend Phase 1 if they have a particularly high body mass index (BMI), which is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. Someone with a BMI over 30 (which is considered obese), for instance, can stay in Phase 1 for three or four weeks, while someone with a BMI over 35 (which is considered morbid obesity) can stay on Phase 1 for up to two months. For those whose BMI is below 30, we strongly recommend the regular two-week period.

If you're staying in Phase 1 for an extended period, it is important to exercise to maintain muscle and bone mass, and to ensure that the weight you're losing is fat (and not lean body mass). Try aerobics, a stationary bike, swimming, or walking for at least 20 minutes a day.

Last edited by mizski; 06-03-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 PM   #15  
Maintenance May 2011

It's me again. Kaplods, I cannot find any mention of returning to PH1 even though I know many of the 100+ gals on the SB site do it.

Here's what I did find by Dr. A on the subject:

From the Why People Fail on This Diet article:

Looking for a Quick Fix

To a degree, failure is a result of the program's success. After two weeks, you begin reintroducing some of the carbs you cut out completely in Phase 1. You continue losing weight in Phase 2, but not at the same speed. Depending on how much you want to lose, it may take up to a year or even longer. For some, that's a disappointment, so they decide to stay on Phase 1 until they reach their goal. Now, I know plenty of dieters who have made that decision and succeeded — but I know plenty more who have failed.

Here's why: Phase 1 isn't meant to be a long-term eating plan. You're limited to a fairly small palette of foods, which — after two or three weeks — gets a little dull. That's when dieters begin to improvise — improperly. They mix in their old bad habits. They follow Phase 1, but they add in a handful of cookies at night, a small bag of corn chips one afternoon, or pizza and beer on the weekend. Before long, you're cheating more than dieting. When you realize how badly you've strayed, you might try Phase 1 again, only now it seems even more monotonous than it did the first time. You may just surrender. If you're lucky, you won't end up weighing more than you did before you started the diet.

This is why we strongly urge everyone to switch to Phase 2 after the second week, no matter how tempting it is to remain on Phase 1. This is a long-term diet, and the three-phase approach is an important part of its success. It may take longer to lose the weight, but your chances of keeping it off are much better.
I think I may have to re-think my thinking about yoyoing back & forth on PH1.

Last edited by mizski; 06-03-2009 at 09:54 PM.