Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 10:48 AM   #1  

Default This time last year...

I can hardly believe it's October, not to mention the end of the month. This year flew by...

Where were you one year ago??
What has changed??

Old 10-23-2002, 10:55 AM   #2  

While I am not happy with my weight change in the last year..as I am weighing more now. I am happy with a few other things...

1. I received my WELL earned raise at work.
2. I moved in my own place, and somehow I am making it, on my own.
3. I adopted a kitty cat.
4. I am finally in therapy.
5. I have started to put my own needs before others.
6. I have become more honest with my feelings.
7. I am spending money more wiser.

No, my weight hasn't improved in the last year. And I am struggling daily. I have gained weight in the last year, and as it is sad and depressing, I know that if I had no effort at all in the last year, it could be alot higher than it is right now. I have dealt with alot of changes and chaos in my life in the last year. Many times, I thought I saw the end of it..but something else always came up. Now I understand, there will always be something. This is one thing that I CAN control. And starting today, I WILL! This time next year, I am going to be at goal. I can do it, if I really set out for it. And just do it and not talk about it.

Old 10-23-2002, 11:15 AM   #3  

Well this time last year I was in a wheelchair so ANY place else but there is a good place to be. Unfortunately this year we're dealing with the Beltway Sniper -- it's really starting to take its toll. I have no way to liken this to anything else I've ever experienced. Most us were Cold War babies--that seemed such a distant kind of threat. This is HERE--in my back yard--and I'm not sure how one handles this kind of thing. On a brighter note, this past weekend we spent three days at our farm out in the Shenandoah Valley--it was SO GOOD to be away from a tv!!! It's beautiful there this time of year. If it weren't for my daughter being in school I'd be there right now!! LOL!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 308/238/164

Height: 5'5.5"

This time last year I was 4 months pregnant, with a 7 month old and 2 1/2 year old. I was over the initial shock of being pregnant and was looking forward to finding out the sex. There was nothing I could do about my weight and wasn't even thinking about it.

Yestreday, during some down time, I started thinking. While cleaning out storage I ran across an old journal. It was written when I lived in Utah and was trying to lose weight. In the pic I posted under progress pics, I thought I weighed 220, but in fact, according to my journal, I was down to 205. So anyway, I was figuring out weight gain vs. time frame. So in 9 years, I gained 107 pounds ! Granted, I did have 3 kids during that time. So it figured out to be that I gained about 12 pounds a year, or 1 pound a month! I started this journey at 312 and have lost 48 pounds in about 4 1/2 months, I'm down to 264. At the rate I gained, it would have taken me 2 years, to lose that much weight. I also thought, my gawd....what if I hadn't started this journey ? At the rate I was gaining, I would be 317 right now, and in ten years, at age 45, I would weigh well over 400 POUNDS!! SO today, this year, I am so thankful that I FINALLY saw (REALLY saw) what I needed to do, no HAD to do. And next year at this time, I will be at goal and will be in my maintenance phase!

Last edited by Dyanm1; 10-23-2002 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:53 AM   #5  

Well this time last year I was saying good by to my husband for the year. Things were very stressfull. I'm glad he is back and have my fingers crossed that he won't be sent any place. I did loose 12lbs this year so that is a good thing. They haven't been off for long, but over the last 2 months I have been able to maintain the loss. That is a big accomplishment. Even though it's only 2 months I'm very proud of my self. I also started college this year and am doing good. I love it and can't wait till I get that deploma! (still a long way away, but I can dream, lol)

That is my year in a very brief statememt, lol.

Bella23
Old 10-23-2002, 01:26 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

This time last year I had just met a wonderful man, was . Was juggling 2 more, one is a , the other is slowly outta my life. But the one I had just met? After a year it's still

Am about 10-15 pounds lighter, have to work on that. Am a lot happier, as last year I lost my grandmother.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:53 PM   #7  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Wow, this is a great idea for a post! This time last year, I had just turned 30 and knew I needed to turn my life around. I was stressed, though, getting ready to conduct my first big musical program with choir and orchestra, and to deal, I just kept eating.

(Which is really something because it is so hard to be so overweight as a music director because it's real easy to be self-conscious when I'm up there in front of everyone!) But even that didn't stop the siren song of all that fast food, pizza, Chinese buffet, etc. Ironically I was also much happier in my job back then. . .things aren't going nearly as well in the church where I work nowadays, and I may be changing jobs soon.

I weigh more than last year, which really gets me down, but in the personality arena, I'm doing better. I'm not nearly as big a doormat as I have been in the past, I've let go of the notion that everyone has to like me (i.e. my people pleasing compulsion!), and I've slowly begun to realize that I can't (and shouldn't) live my life according to other people's expectations!

*whew*!

Just think, everyone ~ as we focus on getting healthy and losing the extra weight, we'll all be unstoppable!!!

love to all ~ irishwings
Old 10-23-2002, 06:31 PM   #8  
hot mom wanna be!

Arrow cool thread topic!

thanks Jennifer! I like these reflecting threads, it kind of puts things in perspective.

this time last year:
1-me and my husband had only been seperated for close to 3 months and were trying to sell our house. It sold in one month! from beginning to end of putting on market to closing it was less than two months!

2-I weighed 280! From starting at 313 that year. (down 33 pounds then.) Now I am at 251.5 (flucuating by a pound or two) so I am down another 30 pounds from last year at this time!!

I would like to say that now, a year later, I am divorced but it takes a while! Even with a "no fault" divorce, it takes time, so it's not official quite yet. It will make a great Thanksgiving present though!

I lost 37 pounds in 2001 and would like to now just do the same this year. I will have to lose 12 more pounds! I can do this!!

laura
Old 10-23-2002, 07:27 PM   #9  

As many have said, this is a great thread topic. . .

This time last year, I was 12 1/2 pounds heavier. I was misdiagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I was lying around, mourning this and acting like an invalid. (We went to the Mayo Clinic in Dec. and got a new diagnosis of Fibromyalgia which is much more manageable since I just have a mild case).

My life is much much better.

Angi
Old 10-23-2002, 07:51 PM   #10  

A year ago - I was still recuperating from my second knee replacement but I was at a pretty good stage (till I did something dumb to it in Nov that year). I was looking forward to getting my life back on course. But had many concerns with my mother who was just out of the hospital. She's done well since (at 86).

I was 20 lbs. heavier than I am now and I had not met my 3FC friends. I wasn't drinking all that water. I was back to water exercising though. Since then, my RA has somewhat gone into remission and I am off one med. I'm now on thyroid med which is helping me feel (and think) a bit better as well.

I had concerns about dh's health then; however, those concerns have multiplied this year. These are things that we only can hope to "stabilize".

I too am in chaos about the "sniper" because of my dd and her family. When I heard the comment about "your children are not safe anywhere, any time" my heart stood still. Those are my precious grandbabies he's talking about. DD has been understandably stressed (and her dh is away a lot) but overall I've been proud of how she's handling it. My son and his wife are in the area too but not as close to the events so far as my dd. I just want them all to come home.

Last year too at this time I was planning an old fashioned Thanksgiving. It was the first time in a long time I had felt able to do the whole scenario and it went well. At this point, I am planning to do the same this year.

It was good last year at this time. It's better this year (except for "snipes" as ds calls him). That missing 20 is part of it - maybe I can make it even better by next year at this time.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:22 AM   #11  

This time last year my youngest daughter was about 4 months old and my oldest daughter had just finished her first quarter in kindergarten. I was trying to figure out what we were going to do about money ... we were okay at the time because we got an inheritance that got us through, but I knew it wouldn't last forever. My employer and I had talked about my working from home, but business was not going well at that time and they started laying people off so I didn't even have the option of putting my baby in daycare and going back in to work there (something I didn't want to do anyway). I weighed about 265.

Now, business is much better and I'm working part-time from home for my old employer (though I still worry about money most of the time!). My daughter is in 1st grade, which is a much bigger challenge, having to struggle to get her to do her homework. I have lost 45 pounds (though I count my starting weight at 255 because had managed to lose 10 pounds without being on a serious pogram - maybe I should re-think that! Isn't it a little more fun to say I lost 45 than 35?).

Great thread!

Pen
265 /119/150ish
Old 10-24-2002, 12:07 PM   #12  

Pen,
DEFINITELY count that first ten pounds. You lost it! You get credit for it!

Congrats on a successful year.
Angi
Closed Thread