Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

Default Issues Getting Out of Bed?

Anyone else have issues getting out of bed & going in the morning?

Or has anyone found a good way to make yourself get up in the morning??

Today was the first day I've actually been up ON TIME in a long long time. I had time for my 30 minute boxing workout AND breakfast [english muffin, 2 tbsp peanut butter, & 4oz OJ = 365 calories] AND can get ready without rushing around like a mad woman. I'm showered, my hair will actually be tamed & I'll be wearing makeup for work. THIS IS SO MUCH BETTER than waking up 10 minutes before I have to be to work. Leaving me 8 minutes to get ready & 2 minutes to walk there. I LOVE IT.

But I know tomorrow I'm going to have the same problem as I always do. I hit my snooze 50 times, don't want to get out of bed, curl back up under the covers. I was only up on time today because I didn't go to bed last night.

So any suggestions on getting out of bed on time in the morning? I've been trying to figure it out for years.
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #2  

S/C/G: trying to maintain

It's tough, but just try to get up as soon as you hear your alarm clock. Don't start thinking about how cosy and warm the covers are, don't think how you'd want to stay in bed for just a while longer.... You have to get up anyway, so you'd better get it done instead of postponing and whining.
At least, that's what my man says

I need some more practice at it myself
BellyLicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #3  

Ha! If I knew the answer to this I'd sell it and be rich! I've struggled with this for YEARS. A few thoughts ... some of which have worked for me and some which are just wishful thinking:

Put your coffee pot on a timer, so it is brewed shortly after you wake up. The smell of a good cup of coffee might get you motivated!

Get a bedroom with eastern-facing windows, so you get sunlight first thing in the morning (although this sucks when you WANT to sleep in).

Start going to bed earlier.

Post this quote next to your bed, so you see it first thing in the morning: "Awake, arise, or forever be fallen." -- Milton
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #4  
New BodyBugger!

S/C/G: 317/ticker/175

Height: 5' 9"

My doctor mentioned that having a hard time getting up may be low blood sugar or insulin resistance. Have you ever been checked? Just a thought. But, I would put my money on now its more of a habit to sleep in than to get up on time. I think if you treat this like any other bad habit, you can conquer it! You go girl!
HeatherMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Put your alarm clock wayyy across the room, so that in order to hit snooze, you're already up and walking and it probably won't seem worth it.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

Go to bed 30 minutes earlier for a week. Then the next week, go to bed another 30 minutes earlier. Keep doing that until you are able to get up easily in the morning. Chances are, you're not getting enough sleep. Not everyone needs 8-9 hours, but if you modify sleep time a bit at a time, you can find the right amount for you. That's what I had to do, and found 5 hours a night wasn't enough, I need about 6 1/2.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

vertigo, go to sleep earlier in the evening!

I used to be a complete night owl. The problem I had was eating late at night so I started going to sleep earlier--around ten usually. Now, it's no problem getting up @ 6 to exercise.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #8  
Workin' It

Vertigo - I'm struggling with it, too. I got into a good exercise in the AM groove for a while, got off track in Jan & Feb and have never gotten back on. My problem is that I want to stay up a little later and still get up early to exercise!

The alarm clock across the room has worked for me in the past.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 06-02-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM   #9  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

I think getting out of bed is like not eating a cookie or not having a cigarette (if you're a smoker trying to quit). You know you're going to feel like crap for the next few minutes because you really want to sleep/eat/smoke, but in the end you just do it and you feel better for it.
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #10  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayness View Post
Put your alarm clock wayyy across the room, so that in order to hit snooze, you're already up and walking and it probably won't seem worth it.
This is a great idea! I may just try it out!
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/184/150ish

Height: 5'11"

Nothing I've ever tried has gotten me out of bed in the morning. I've tried the alarm clock across the room, I've tried going to bed earlier (I just wind up laying there for hours before I finally fall asleep), I've tried telling myself the night before that under no circumstances will I lay in bed after the alarm. But none of those have worked, so I've just decided that I'm never going to be one of those people who exercises in the morning. I love the rare days when I actually have time to get ready at a leisurely pace in the morning, but it almost never happens for me.
spikedpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
Go to bed 30 minutes earlier for a week. Then the next week, go to bed another 30 minutes earlier. Keep doing that until you are able to get up easily in the morning. Chances are, you're not getting enough sleep. Not everyone needs 8-9 hours, but if you modify sleep time a bit at a time, you can find the right amount for you. That's what I had to do, and found 5 hours a night wasn't enough, I need about 6 1/2.
Do whatever works for you, but trying to reset my internal clock by going to bed earlier never worked for me. I mean, if I wasn't tired yet, I wasn't going to be able to sleep earlier just because I was in bed. But if I progressively got up earlier, going to bed earlier naturally followed because I was tired and sleepy. And actually, for me, just getting up a lot earlier all at once reset my clock faster and was overall less painful than trying to do it gradually. But that probably varies with different people.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-02-2009 at 01:16 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #13  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedpunch View Post
Nothing I've ever tried has gotten me out of bed in the morning. I've tried the alarm clock across the room, I've tried going to bed earlier (I just wind up laying there for hours before I finally fall asleep), I've tried telling myself the night before that under no circumstances will I lay in bed after the alarm. But none of those have worked, so I've just decided that I'm never going to be one of those people who exercises in the morning. I love the rare days when I actually have time to get ready at a leisurely pace in the morning, but it almost never happens for me.
You're not the only one. I don't think I'll ever be a morning person.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #14  
Little Black Dress Bound

S/C/G: 192/181/135

Height: 5'5"

I have the worst time with this. I find myself never wanting to go to bed and I can't get up in the morning. Currently I've been staying up til 3-4am, then getting up at 9am for class. I then fall asleep after my morning class and miss my afternoon classes. I know going to bed at 3-4am is not a good thing, but even when I go to bed at 10 or 11 I still feel really tired. The only reason I can even get myself up is that attendance is required for my 10am Tuesday, Thursday class. However, I haven't regularly gone to my Monday, Wednesday 10am in weeks. Luckily summer is coming!! But I'm taking summer courses
DRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Get a cat. I'm up by 7 every day.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote