Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/174/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Help! Any one familiar w/ amerishape?

Hi all. I have joined a weight loss program with "Amerishape" the program runs 36 weeks. The ad was very convincing... 4 weeks later, I am feeling alone and know this was a scam to get gym memberships. I WANT to make it work, I just don't have the motivation. I was wondering if anyone out there is or was part of this "study"

Any suggestions? I have lost 9ish pounds...seeing how I have NOT been following the meal menu, it goes up and down. I do enjoy the gym, but the 5AM is getting a bit much...
rgourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/305/130

Height: 5'6

Instead of getting up at 5 A.M try going to the gym after work, or even at night. There are plenty of gyms that stay open late! I am not a morning person at ALL! I try everything possible to stay in bed. So I signed up with a gym that stays open until 12am. I go around 9-10. It also helps me feel comfortable. Gyms tend to be more crowded after you get off work. Thats when most people go, and 9-10pm its also empty, with a few people and the receptionist who has probably seen the biggest of all big people there already. I dont feel like im being watched, and can workout without the insecurities. Good Luck ! =DD
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #3  

I have 2 young boys, so the night usually is not a good time for me. My husband and I are also on weird opposite schedules. 5 AM is the best time to go... I guess I just need to suck it up and do the work. I will certainly miss my bed : (

I think the biggest thing is not getting what I signed up for. Live and learn...Maybe I will make a buddy there, who feels the same as me.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #4  
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Hey RGourty, I just visited the Amerishape site...yes, sounds a bit too promising, but you know...I've seen worse! There are a few things that I wanted to point out to you, but I think that overall it's not as bad as you think. After all, it's a gym membership...and you can learn to like the gym!
First of all, there's no magic food combo that promotes a faster metabolism and faster fat burn. The only thing that does that is exercise. Now we're not talking crash-and-burn exercise. We're talking something that gets your heart rate up a bit but doesn't leave you sweating in a heap on the floor. An hour's brisk walk will do it. One hour a day...you can do that and you don't even need a gym. A gym comes in handy if you want to use machines like the elliptical or the treadmill, and free weight work is great for developing toning and shaping as your weight comes off.
I completely disagree with their advice to use butter and fat in your cooking. Mono and Polyunsaturated fats are what you want...fish, walnuts, pecans, almonds, flax, soybean oil, sunflower oil, safflower oil, avocados, cashews, peanuts, pecans, natural peanut butter, olives and olive oil - almost all plant-based fats. All can be eaten in moderation.
I also am leary of any site that says it's ok to eat beef and meats with skin on. Again, lots of unhealthy fats there. You want the lean proteins...chicken with no skin (white meat), turkey, and fish (salmon and albacore tuna are great).
If you have a library close by, pop in and pick up one of Dr. Dean Ornish's books...I've had the best luck, and the best health, living by his eating guidelines. Simple, medically-sound, and so easy.
You haven't been totally ripped off, so please do NOT allow your feelings of dissatisfaction to derail your efforts. Make it work...go to the gym, do the exercises, and keep on chugging. But in the mean time, really read up on nutrition and lifestyle changes.
And 9 lbs in 4 weeks...that's awesome! You should be feeling very proud of yourself.
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 AM   #5  

Thanks Peep for all of your great info! I don't feel that I have been TOTALLY ripped off, just a little misguided. I planned on getting a gym membership anyway. I just thought the staff was going to be involved...pushing me a bit. That is not the case. I haven't been following their food guidelines either. I have been cutting out more junk food, trying to put in more proteins and veggies. I know it is a long journey and a lifestyle change. Just a bummed that I was let down. I was interested to see if anyone else had taken part or knew about Amerishape. It is nice to have a whole group of people (all of you) to share and compare with. So, thanks for taking the time : ) I will be sure to get to the library, I will let you know what I think. Thanks again!
Rhonda (rgourty)
Old 06-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #6  

Dear Rgourty:

Don't quit! I been using the amerishape weight loss system for over 18 months now and have found it to work well with my lifestyle. It's healthy eating and exercsing at the gym three times per week. Amerishape has bent over backwards to help me when I've needed somthing or just to simply have my foods reviewed. They aren't perfect however, my gym has a great staff and runs the program very well. You might want to talk to the gym manager and see if they can provide you with a one on one coach for a short time,that's what my gym did for me. I really love amerishape and my local gym...don't give up so easy.

Powerhouse Gym Member
Linda Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #7  

Thanks Linda... I am still plugging along. I am not true to the diet, but finding myself staying motivated and eating better. I have talked to one of the trainers at my gym and has kept me positive. I just need to STAY motived and true to myself.

Thanks for the help everyone!