Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #76  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI ~ I'm back ... like a perverbial bug, as they say -- the cloudy weather cleared up by dinner time, it was very cold today (only 40F), but the came out to shine for us until dusk, which was nice. I saw the quarter moon out there; hope it stays that way for tomorrow. We had made some plans to go to the lot tomorrow, but DH is doing some more favors for people tomorrow.

He's spending more time helping others get their odd jobs done lately than getting things done that we need done; it seems that he is having a bit of trouble saying "NO", so I may have to put my foot down pretty soon. I don't mind him helping people out, but it is starting to become a habit for some of them. This has happened to him in the past; he tends to get used like an old rug becuz he wants to please his friends but then complains to me about it later on.

Anyhow, he was just falling asleep here beside me, so I said that he might as well go to bed; that's no company for me on a Friday night. So ... I decided to come in here and see if there were any messages instead. I think that I am going to order the cable in for the TV for the same reason. He says he doesn't miss it, but that's becuz he goes to bed so early. Yet, often he goes over to a friends and watches TV or a movie with him.

HI PURPLE ~ I am trying out some of the things they mentioned on the show as well (more soup and the lowfat calcium thing). I also have been cutting down my complex carbs and may have one less for breakfast or lunch, alternating on different days. Some nights I may have a small potato and alternate that with nights with rice, pasta, or beans; but the other night, I just had meat and veggies and no grain carb.

Tonight, we had hamburglers on whole wheat buns; sometimes, I skip the buns altogether. When we have sausages or hot dogs, I often skip the buns and have a salad with them instead. Sometimes, I just have fruit or yogurt or nuts or cheese for my snack and omit the grain carb; or may have only half a grain carb (say 3 or 4 whole crackers instead of 8, which is 100 C's). Lately I have been having dried banana chips and almonds for some of my snacks (again, avoiding the grain carbs). This is just some of the things I am trying; and of course, like yourself; I get up and walk around quite often just to keep in motion as much as possible throughout the day.

I am also counting items and measuring more meticulously than before; and having the more starchy carbs less often each week. So I may have pasta one night (1 cup cooked), but omit the starchy carb the next night. These are just experiments to see how I do with that. So far I am feeling Ok with it and haven't been feeling too hungry as long as I still eat my one plate of meat and veggies/salad. Also, I had cut my lean meat down, but I have increased it by 1-2 ounces (ie instead of 3-4 oz, I may have 5-6 ozs of fish or chicken), and this seems to help me not to feel as hungry for a longer time.

Well, not much else going on here, just me doing the daily stuff; and I rested up much more today and that seems to be helping my legs. DH was upset today becuz he went to the store to buy a tool they had advertised and they don't have it or any like it and won't order it either (saying the company won't send just one item; that's their excuse anyways and it sounds a lot like false advertisng to me and of course, they tried to sell him another item that cost 100's of dollars more, so he walked out). So DH was a bit down for a while; hopefully he will find one somewhere else, as he has to take a friend to the city in early June to see a doctor again.

Anyways, time to get off here and go do a puzzle and put my legs up again, as it's getting late for me; and I can only sit here so long before my butt starts to hurt and go numb on this chair. Take good care ladies, and have a SUPER SATURDAY!!! ROSEBUD
Old 05-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #77  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Another lovely sunny day with temperatures of around 21c though a nice breeze to go with it. I have had a busy day have laundered two loads and got them dry outside. I have managed a little exercise with a short stop at the cafe for coffee. Poor Rizzie had his worse day in his eyes having a shower well at least he smells a whole lot sweeter. I have scalped my DH aka home hair cut with trimmers. It looks much better it was getting so long that it was sticking up on top of his head. DH has what is called a double crown which if you do not keep your hair reasonably short has a tendency to stick up no matter what you do to it. Talk about having a will of it's own. Later I am having a shower myself, though DH has already had his after I cut his hair.

DH is watching the FA cup final which one of the football highlights of the year. Football or soccer is the national sport in UK. My DH supports Leeds not that he goes to the matches as they are so expense to attend to now days due to the huge wages these football players have.

Yesterday we had posted through the door a piece of paper from the team that is carrying out the work on the new school being build behind our home. It is a news letter letting us knowing what is going on and the phases of building. We have had several of them during the build which is kind of them and keeps up good relations between neighbours and builders. Today they have been putting the central roof to the school. There has been a huge crane on site to carry over the roof to its situ.

ROSEBUD Thanks for letting me know of your tweaks. Today I have added more dairy into my diet consciously. plus keep carbs to a minimum which are complex. I have found this the hardest the thing to do in changing my healthy eating as I love carbs like potatoes bread pasta well the list goes on but I have reduced those considerably. I have had a tad more protein than I normally have and going to see how that works. I normally have 4 or 5 ounces of meat or fish for my main meal of the day which I finds keeps me full until my next meal or snack.

Talking of your husband taking a friend to see the doctor reminded me I have to see two next month. One on the 17th which is just for a tablet review the second is the 30th which is to see the neurologist regarding my MS. Nothing much goes on at the MS clinic but it keeps me on the books and allows me to bring them up to speed how I am.

Well must run I am afraid I still have a few things I need to do. Top of the agenda is washing the lunch pots not many left now as I wash up as I go along. Till next time take care

purpleorc
Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #78  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ well, we woke up to lovely sunshine and DH thought that he was going to help a friend with some stuff, but other helpers showed up and he wasn't needed after all. Then we were gonna go to the lot, and go pick up a tool that I had ordered (a generator), but then he couldn't get his trailer lights to work right. So then our plans were greatly changed; and then, just as he was trying to repair the lights, big dark clouds rolled in and it started pouring on him.

Poor DH, his day was awash in troubles (no pun intended). So he had to come in and wait; but the rains never stopped until well after dinner tonight, and so he will have to try again tomorrow as it's gonna be dark soon. He got drenched the other day helping a friend and didn't feel too good the next day, so he doesn't want that to happen twice in one week.

BBL ... gotta go for a sec ... I'm back; had to take a wee ladies break. My bladder's working overtime today (that may have something to do with a visitor named TOM, who I haven't seen for 8 weeks and he just decided to drop by for a visit a couple of days ago; so I'm very tired and drained and hungry).

Anyways, enuff of that; sorry if that's TMI. I just took it easy today; needed the rest, so just did more daily stuff around here. DH is playing with NIKO right now; they are having a bit of a wrastling match; it's very funny to watch.

HI PURPLE ~ I have the same issues as you -- watching my complex and starchy carbs is my biggest challenge (esp in my snacking); I have to measure as well, as before I would just put whatever would fit on the plate ... oh dear ... just eye-balling it! Now I measure as much as I can.

Tonight, we had bangers (lean dinner sausages) for supper; and I had 3/4 cup beans and 1 cup coleslaw with mine, but DH had his with ww buns which he prefers. DH eats two and I have 1+1/2 sausages. He's so active and can pretty well eat whatever he wants and stays around 130 lbs all the time I've known him.

Well, not much else going on around here right now; I come on here in the evening to pass time and I also do some reading and puzzles in the evenings as well. Like you, I also do my dishes as I go along as I find that if I keep them up throughout the day, it only takes us a few minutes to do the dishes after dinner.

This is a trick I learned from my professional cleaning days: #1 -- half of keeping a place clean is NOT messing it in the first place (meaning, put things away as you go). #2 -- everything needs a home and things must be put back there (so they don't get lost). #3 -- tidying and cleaning up regularly EVERY DAY, makes for less work and takes less time overall.

Once one of my friends asked me how I managed to keep my bathroom so clean all the time; and I told her the secret -- I go to the washroom several times a day; I have to wash my hands each time I leave, so I check the sink to see if it needs a quick wipe and do it then, as it only takes a few seconds. I keep a cloth on the side of my sink for this purpose (just a rag really). I wash my toilet once a week, but check it at least once each day to make sure it stays clean (again, when I use the toily, which is very handy).

And lastly, both DH and I clean our tub out right after we shower or bathe, so it's predone for the week (I learned this trick in my Nurse's Aides training: after we bathed a client, we all had to wash out the tub so it was clean for the next user; it was such a great idea that I did this for the rest of my life, and I shared this tip with DH as well). I dustmop the floor and/or clean it as I see it needs it (usually only once a week; and it only takes a few minutes too).

Well, that's all the tips for today; hope all you ladies have a SUCCINCTLY SERENE SUNDAY!!! ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-30-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #79  
MSer living healthy

Hello Ladies

Another warm day here with temperatures at around 20c . Gosh not use to these many days with sunshine we normally get dull grey days often with rain Been nice though to have our doors and windows open to air the home and get that gentle breeze blowing threw. Even our dog loves it he sits at the door watching the world go by. He is well know by the neighbours for sitting there. The trouble is when he goes to the gate or fence to be patted he makes such a racket as he is so excited. He virtually screeches in such a high pitch tone talk about embarrassing

Today went out for lunch but picked a healthiest option of a roast chicken dinner, I only ate a small portion of potatoes but ate all my vegetables of cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage. Tonight for tea I have made a mixture of fresh and tinned fruit salad. It comprised of peaches, mandarin oranges, pineapple, blueberries and strawberries. I must admit I throughly enjoyed it as it was a nice combination together. Managed today to get all but one garment ironed so that is me up to date with the ironing. So tomorrow will be a lazy day really as I have worked hard this weekend. I think I will mop the kitchen and bathroom floors tomorrow and run the hoover through. I already have a prepared meal so that is seen to for tomorrow. Glad really as I am really beginning to wind down now and in need of my oxygen therapy.

ROSEBUD Like you I have to measure those foods that are ones I tend to really over do it like cereal, rice, pasta. I am sure prior to me measuring it I was eating something like 3 or 4 times the amount I should have . So I dread to think what my calorie intake was per date I think it was something like 6000 in stead of no more than 2000. Obviously with losing weight I try and aim for more like 1500 to 1800 per day. At the very beginning I started at 2000 calories and of course lost weight as I had been eating way to many calories. When the weight loss slowed down I dropped my calorie intake by about 100 per day. Even though my diet is far from perfect even now it is certainly is so much better than I was munching my way through never giving it a though.

Your DH and my sister are pretty much the same in the weight department can eat virtually what they want and stay around the same weight. My sister is about 130lbs also though this is the heaviest she has ever been. This is part down to the fact now she is well in tune with her body and can recognise the early signs of urine infection. We would just feel generally unwell with one but she has only one kidney and it just floors her. During this time she loses a lot a weight as she is so unwell. At the age of 15 she had to have an operation to re-site the tubes from the kidney to the bladder wall as they were plumbed wrong. This resulted in night time bed wetting 2 or 3 times every night. They of course say to the parent your child will grow out of it and it is not until they get to around her age do they start looking for other causes. Needless to say she had her own children scanned at a few days old to see if they had the same condition. Fortunately none have so lucky there. The other reason is that she is heavier is she does not burn off the calories like she did when working. She had to give up work after a road traffic accident which has left her with a back injury.

Like you I try to put things back in there place each time so I can keep on top of things. This way it is no big job to keep things clean and tidy. I titivate when going to the bathroom like yourself so it always looks clean and tidy. I have two elements that make things untidy in our home. Firstly Rizzie he is like a child with the amount he can create and the other is my untidy DH Bless him he is not blessed in this area of keeping things tidy, I have given up trying with his computer desk cos every time I did it he reckoned that he could find nothing!! So for keeping the peace I leave him too it, all friends and family know that that mess on his desk his of his own making. I must admit I hate to see it and really itch to do something about it as it is in my nature to be clean and tidy.

Never really thought about it I just always clean after bath or shower but I suppose it comes from the days of nursing and to lower the risk of cross infections. I still make my beds in the hospital manner, and have my pillowcases openings away from the door as I was taught Some of things that was drilled into my my nursing sisters who were a bit like battle axes one or two of them. You were in awe of them and you were the lowest of the low as a student. Initially when I started on my first ward all I seemed to do is clean and scrub. My hands were so sore from being in water so much. Friday was the worst day on this ward I had all the commodes to scrub top to bottom, yes that included wheels. Then the worse job that you need to just hold your nose because the smell was horrid. There were net knicker that kept incontinence pads in place, so it does not leave much to the imagination what they were covered in. They were steeped for a week in sterilizing solution. It was your job to wash each of these net knickers and there were loads of them. I am sure this job as it was so horrid was kept for the student nurses as it was part of your baptism with fire. So Friday's you were barely out of the toilets or sluice area, oh joys of joys You stick at it as you so much want to become a nurse, the next ward you go on you are slightly up the pecking order not by much but it is such a good feeling knowing your not the lowest of the low. Though this strictness and diligence to work made good nurses. Unfortunately now in my opinion they have gone in for to much for giving nurses huge volumes of academic work during their training and not so much ward time. So hence I think they miss out on so much. I think that is why cross infection rose a one time as the importance of cleanliness was missed. Nurse are now realising that cleaning is a big apart to play as nursing someone.

Well that is all for now time for a cuppa I think. So till tomorrow take care

purpleorc

Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 PM   #80  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ just takin' it easy today; the day started out with ***** -- can you believe that? Thankfully, it stopped by this afternoon and none stayed as it all melted as it hit the ground. Unfortunealty, DH had nothing but trouble with our car today; the gear safety switch blew for some unknown reason ... hmmm ...

Anyways, he says that he will be biking up town tomorrow to buy a new part; the parts he bought today cost over $20.00 and that was just for 2 bulbs and sockets. Nothing I dislike more than car repairs; all that money going out for what? What I really don't like is the guessing game part of mechanics ... oh, it may be this or it may be that. Give me a few hundred bucks and I'll try to figure out what it is ... that gets me the most!

Anyhow, I was a bit stressed out today about the car not working, and so I started munching a bit tonight, nothing big, but I had done the day well until that point. I did well both Friday and Saturday too. Oh well, hopefully one day won't be too bad. We had a lovely Roasted Chicken dinner tonight with long green beans and baby carrots; lots left for tomorrow night too.

HI PURPLE ~ yes, in one nursing home I worked in, the administrator insisted that all workers had to train as Nurse's Aides (today they call them Health Care Aides or Personal Support Workers), so I still use the same methods as I learned there too (we make our beds with nice hospital corners too ). Once you learn these methods, it's hard to ever remember doing things any other way.

I worked in every department, so being careful about cross contamination was something I had lots of training for (especially in the laundry and janitorial departments). Of course, in the kitchen, we had to be diligent about salmonella as well. I didn't really like having to clean the portable urinals or testing for the blood sugar with the urine strips that much, but it was part of the job.

We had a special disinfecting cleaning solution; and when I worked in the laundry department, we had to soak those special bed pads and what we called 'adult diapers' -- only we only had to soak them one day and washed them with javelle to kill germs as well. We often had to wear gloves and today, they wear gloves all the time now.

When I worked as a professional cleaner in offices, we learned how to clean desks without disturbing people's stuff. We would lift and wipe and return EACH item back down where we got it from. If you did it correctly, people didn't even know that you had cleaned their desks; but there were always a few sticklers who insisted that under no circumstances were we to touch their desks -- so we didn't!

Well, it's time for me to go make some tea and put my legs up for a rest; hopefully we will get that car working again tomorrow (right now it won't move as the gear mechanism isn't working at all). Hope you all have A MARVELLOUS MONDAY and a great week too! Take good care ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-31-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 AM   #81  
MSer living healthy

Hi and good morning

Looks as though it is turning into another nice day suppose to have temperatures of about 23c today and slightly higher tomorrow at 24c. So till remaining nice and warm here. I am up a little earlier than I have been the past couple of days. DH sister was away at her caravan this weekend so she has had a lovely time weather wise. It was her husbands birthday this Thursday so their eldest daughter looked after her youngest. Mind you not take much looking after as he is 16 going on 17 in December. His sister is in her mid 20's and far stricter than his mum so not much chance for him getting into any mischief.

Just taken out a couple of bread rolls so I can make our lunch for tomorrow at the MS centre. Gosh it sure does come round quickly my treatment day. Next Tuesday is D day for DH as he will be having his surgery on his face. He is taking my oxygen down and up to pressure then we will be going rather than stopping on for another 2 more dives as we normally do. I know that he will be relieved in a way to get rid of the infection just not the added pain that is going to come with it. Plus there is no guarantee this method will work, he can go through all this only to have to have his teeth removed anyway

I will go and get dressed in a moment as I am still in my night clothes I want to get cracking on with the housework I want to do before it gets to warm for me to attempt it. I also want to go to the post office today to mail a letter to aboard namely Cyprus as DH Auntie and Uncle live there now. At the moment they are in the process of moving place from a 3 bedroomed to a 2 bedroom apartment on the ground floor. No mean feat moving especially when you are in your 70's with no family in that country.

ROSEBUD Yes car repairs can be so expensive especially as you pay for the part of their guessing game. Like you say is it this part or that part guess what you pay for them both I am sure in this day and age they would have been able to pinpoint it so much better I am blessed I no longer have that worry of paying out for car repair bills as it is part of the scheme that I belong having my car on motobility. Though I can barely believe the price they charge when my parents have repairs done on their vehicle.

You got me remembering how precious gloves were considered in the beginning of my nursing and they were only used for the worse jobs and not for everything. Like you say they are used very widely now for everyday tasks in hospitals. Yes things like hospital corners are hard to forget especially when you are making something like 30 beds a day on your own! I remember that I had not made this bed properly as a student nurse and the ward sister did was just stripped the whole of the ward beds. She said maybe next time I would make them properly and to a nursing standard. That hard lesson from the nursing sister taught me to do things properly every time not just when I felt like it. Never did I make beds or do anything but to the way I was shown. Good lesson learnt even if it did mean making nearly 60 beds on my own.

Those stickers you got from some of the worker about not cleaning there work desk reminds me of my bomb site of a husbands desk Some of the things that we learnt growing up he didn't. This is because he and his father never saw eye to eye. So he would run away constantly and eventually was taken to live in a children's home. This for him was good but everything was done for them and they were not taught basic chores. He has learnt to do basic cooking and he can now rack up some nice meals if I am out of action.

Right time for me to shake a leg and get myself into action. So I hope to drop by tomorrow so take care till next time

purpleorc
Old 06-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #82  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hey ROSEBUD are you going to start a new thread for June??????

Yep . . . I am still alive, but definitely not kicking very hard . . . my doctor is still dithering between Asthma and Pneumonia, or some combination thereof, as being the basis of my problems.

At least he has finally decided to refer me to a Respiratory Disease specialist and I go to see this new guy on Thursday. I also have an appointment next Monday for a CAT scan. Obviously my constant 'at home cat-scanning ' doesn't cut it.

In the meantime, the GP took me off Prednisone, an oral steroid, because it's one of the worst things you can give a diabetic and it has so many other side effects as well (however, it was working wonders for the wheezing and coughing after only four or five doses) and put me on Symbicort which is an inhaled steroid, combined with Salbutamol, an inhaled bronchodilator. I do get a tiny bit of wheezing relief from the Salbutamol, but nothing but high blood sugar levels from the Symbicort.

Other than that . . . nothing going on in my world. I am thinking of you gang.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #83  
Rosebud

HEY MEOWEE ~ I have started the new thread for JUNE, albeit a tad late; hopefully someone will come along and put the new thread up as a RED STICKY for us too ...

Had lots of problem going on up here and didn't get in today until now. First our car stopped working and DH was fit to be tied (complicated story); and then he was so anxious this morning that he accidently let NIKO get away from him and forgot he did it ...

Anyhow, we spent the entire morning roaming about looking for our lost boy, only to find out he was right next door, just like I had told DH twice that he likely was. This has happened to us twice now. DH says that he went there and couldn't see him; but truth is, that he just went to the edge of the property becuz he was afraid of the neighbour's big shepherd-husky dog that they told him was viscious!

So guess who found him ... yeppers ... moi! I went down there a couple of times, but he was behind their garage so we couldn't see him from the street or laneway. They have their dog tied to a chain behind the house and garage so nobody can see him unless they go all the way around the back. Anyhow, long story short, on my third looksee, our boy came bounding out, but he was injured.

During their 3 hour ruccous, he sustained a bad tear/cut on his right ear so we ended up with blood all over our kitchen: the cupboards, the fridge, washer & dryer, and our floor ... you get the idea. Even on me (my face) as I tried to halt the bleeding; I used an old trick ... PEROXIDE -- it's the only thing I know that works.

Anyhow that took me another hour plus to wash all that up and myself; then NIKO just crashed out and slept the rest of the afternoon as he was totally exhausted from his excursion. The nice mechanic from our garage did a house call and fixed our car too -- turns out it was what I thought, just a silly little FUSE!!!

DH showed up in a taxi he had to hire to deliver the generator we had ordered; the trailer wiring is what caused the fuse to blow, so we won't be hooking that up any time soon. So ... we have had a very busy day. I just got supper in the over at 6:30 and thought I come in here to get that new thread up. My mind had finally cleared enuff to remember it by then.

Anyways, thanks for the SHOUT OUT ... glad to hear that some progress is being made in some direction. Hope the tests can help your doctor find out what is really wrong; and sending up more prayers ...

HEY PURPLE ~ see you in the new JUNE THREAD; will answer your post over there ...

THIS IS THE LAST POST FOR THE MAY THREAD LADIES -- see you all in the new JUNE thread!!!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Closed Thread