Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful deiting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck easues you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before monving on to the next. And you'll learn tehcniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll acheive a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 fat chicks, a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

Previous Beck threads on 3fatchicks.com:

Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Beck Diet For Life/Solution – January 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – November 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – October 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – September 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – August 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – July 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – June 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – May 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – April 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – March 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – February 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – January 2008 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution – December 2007 – Group for Support, Discussion, Diet Coach
The Beck Diet Solution - November 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - October 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - September 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - August 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - July 2007
The Beck Diet Solution - May/June 2007
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Went shopping again today and bought a camera for our vacation this summer; CREDIT moi just for buying something since I sooo HATE shopping.

Food was on plan, especially since dinner was leftover 15-bean soup - one of our favorites, with, ahem again, salad constructed with my lettuce; CREDIT moi. Since DW is a gardener and the sun was shining, I consider myself lucky to get dinner at all, LOL. My walk was brief, but I wore my new boots purchased yesterday to test them out. Oh Well for brief.

maryblu - Yay for gardening 'til you drop. Kudos for all that exercise; as measured by sore muscles, gardening is one good exercise.

Anne (wndranne) - Welcome home. Welcome wiped presuming that means you 'athloned or climbed the mountains all day. Welcome good nights sleep.

Tera (twilit tera) - Ouch for the lingering cold; sounds like you took care of it with a day of rest.

Yay for a low (1) average pain day; neat that seems to be the new norm.

ChinaMaine - Ouch for the dead laptop; hope the contents of the hard drive can be salvaged. Around here there's a convenient Geek Squad (or similar) at Staples and Best Buy with modest walk in pricing. Good luck in its recovery.

And Ouch for tired and feeling blech. Perhaps the Geek Squad can help you recover while they're at it, LOL.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for planning to slow down when eating. Hope the dinner went well.

Readers -
Quote:
Before You Move On

Master all Stage 1 skills before you move on to Stage 2. If you don't, I predict you will have a hard time - sooner or later - sticking to the Think Thin Initial Eating Plan. Make sure you check off all skills for seven consecutive days before moving on - it doesn't matter how long it takes. And be sure to keep increasing exercise.
. . .

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 105
Old 06-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Bill~ yah for "your" lettuce!! Yah for walking in your new boots, and a new camera!!

Last week was horrible, the weekend even worse. I dont know what happened, but I was unbearably tired all week. Not a good thing when you have 100's of t-shirts to get out the door! I did it, with only one mistake! Of course the woman pitched a hissy fit over the missing 3 t-shirts. Which I will deliver today (with plenty of time to spare before her event) Oh well!

Yesterday I was a vendor at a small market. On the way in, I stepped in a big dip in the floor and went crashing down on my side. Calf, and shoulder are nicely bruised and now my neck is messed up. Enough for me to go see a chiropractor about it. Which is something I really dislike doing!! (kind of the same category as a dentist for me)

Ok....Im done with all my complaints

I've got all my ducks back in a row, and I managed that fairly quickly after a high stress week. So Im going to take HUGE Kudos for that

This week is just as busy, but with different things. Lets see if I can keep it together this week.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 276/see ticker

Height: 5'4

Default Day Ten

Today's weight: down .4 lb First goal: 231.0

I was going to post this last night, but by the time I finished painting I was just too tired and went to bed.

Yesterday was Day 10 - Set a realistic goal. I had looked at this chapter before, so I had already set a 5 lb goal. I think, I will go ahead and just do 5 lbs at a time. It's a nice number as it isn't so large, like say 10 lbs, that it won't take too long to get to....hopefully! It will give me many celebrations along the way.

For part of my exercise, I am trying to do 10,000 steps a day. I did get 10,300 in yesterday. A good part of that was mowing my folks yard. I was really surprised to see how many steps I take in my regular walking around day. I worry about getting my exercise in. I don't want to let myself down.

I've really been doing well with this mindfull eating. Credit me. I have been counting to 30 between bites. Also, this was a major credit for me, last night after I finished my dinner, I was still hungry and wanted to continue to eat. I grabbed a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and was planning to eat it. Then, I put it down and said no. If I'm still hungry in an hour, I'll eat it. I went and did some more painting and never did eat the popcorn. Super credit!

RobinW - Credit for getting all those shirts done and dealing with a cranky customer. Sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully, you will feel better soon.

Bill - Yeah for a vacation. Credit for taking time for yourself and with your family. There's nothing better than fresh lettuce out of a garden. Credit for picking a wife that likes to garden!

All best,

Beth
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #5  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy 1st Monday in June Hello

Hi coaches

I've been busy and yet stalled at the same time. This graduation business just never ends. BUT we graduate this month so it will end. On the 26th. 25 more days. Of course, since it's June 1st, I woke up thinking "if I did that diet ______ I could still lose like 15 lbs." Sad though that it doesn't even rev me up to lose 15 lbs. I'm feeling very depressed when I think about my weight and my body and my big tummy. I can't get myself to move. It's like the part of me that wants to is equal, and maybe right now a little less, than the part of me that really doesn't want to do a thing. I've decided that the fake pressure I've applied to myself with regards to moving is just one too many things to cope with. I am reverting to my original summer plans which comprise of a holiday to Nova Scotia and a foray to all the areas that appeal to me as potential places I'd want to move to. It's too bad, but in this case I am a look before you leap person. I want to know where I am going and why before I go there. I'm also wondering if it isn't prudent for me to remain here, in Ottawa, at least until the fall is overwiyh as I am signed up with the city to teach continuing education art classes. if I can do that I have a very portable skill to take with me wherever I go. I am all set to test this out --should I even be thinking of leaving right now because our rent is $51 more?

Well the question is moot as I can't cope with it. I've just sort of tuned out completely. I'm not making anything and I'm not cleaning anything and I'm actually literally sitting still. Except when I have to go out and that's everyday this week. But lest I seem depressed I'm not. I'm more overwhelmed with everything. I'm working hard trying to get the art in the park show off the ground. This is taking a lot of blog effort and a lot of organizational skill
( urbanartinmintopark.blogspot.com in case you want to check it out).

Anyway, that's about it for now. I see the wagon stopping at my door but I am waving it on. That first step to climb up onto the wagon seems awfully steep to me right now.

I'm off to walk over to the mall to get my buspass for this month. I'll take an extra walk around the mall for good measure. Thinking of you guys and how well you are doing. Bye for now.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #6  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

WI: steady
Pain: 0/1/3
Activity: 1
Sinuses: still messy.

Credits: calorie counting , vitamins , rest , checking to see if monthly cycle was causing slight gain instead of freaking out

Pain level is low enough and I'm still contagious enough to postpone Appt. with C. Gave a call and left a voice message, but no response yet.

I'm less than a month away from moving!!!

NSV: my wedding ring is loose. This is after moving it to a smaller finger so I wouldn't lose it. I am afraid that resizing it is a bit complicated, as the ring is a twist of silver and gold, which is why I'm waiting until it looks like I've lost all I'm likely to, and have been maintaining for at least six months before resizing it. Until then I will just keep moving it to a smaller finger each time it's in danger of slipping off.

Don't want to mess any of that up so I will be on plan (for the rest of) today!

Margaret: I too hope dinner went well.

ChinaMaine: My sympathies for the (temporary ) loss of your computer! Hope you feel better!

Anne: Welcome home!!

Bill: bean soup! Good idea!

Robin: Way to go on the busy week. I have sympathy for the hissy fit customer. People who go bolistic over small delays and inconveniences tend to have a serious need to feel "in control". Being out of control over any circumstance scares or angers them. And of course, nobody's in control of EVERYTHING, so the type tends to make themselves more miserable than anyone else. Oh, well.

Let me know how the chiropractor goes. (I had no idea I was starting a trend!)

Beth: General Kudos for all your progress but BIG stinkin for giving yourself time to feel full before deciding whether or not to eat the popcorn!

onebyone:
Old 06-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #7  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Last night I was beyond exhausted after a full day in the sun with kiddos at a picnic playing volleyball, frisbee, bike riding, etc. Having a really rough day/night. This is all I've got right now. Better than nothing. I'm going to bed.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

Tera~ I walked into the chiro office (2 shops over from us) and the smell of mold and mildew turned me right off. But the receptionist had her window open already. So I politely got the info and told her Id go back and check my schedule. Not a chance I'll go back in there lol
Old 06-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 276/see ticker

Height: 5'4

Day 11 - Differentiate Between Hunger, Desire, and Cravings

I haven't done the actual exercise for this chapter yet. I am going to do it on Saturday. I have been spending time "listening" to my stomach, however. I'm finding, I am much fuller longer than I used to think. Who knows, this stuff might actually be working! Scary. Credit me. I was on plan today as well. Credit!

I got all my paintings done and to the gallery today. Credit. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Hopefully, a few will sell.

I start my new job tomorrow. Yikes. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I haven't had a "real" job in nine years. Most of that time, I've worked for myself, gone to school full-time, and / or taugh college part-time.

I've left this post to a bit too late in the evening and need to run to bed. Starting tomorrow, I will post earlier in the evening. I'm sorry for no personals tonight. I'll catch up tomorrow.

All best,

Beth
Old 06-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Today's little surprise: Hand, Foot & Mouth disease. Generally a nuisance thing. DS is home for a couple days.

Eating was not bad, but could have been better. I think I need to go back to planning. Soon. Great run this morning before day care called. I was halfway to the kennel to pick up the dog, and had to turn around. Poor dog. DH got him this afternoon.

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 06-02-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Looking forward to the new day

Monday I scrambled all day to get my laptop ready to send off for repair by a member of my company’s crack IT team (AKA Lizzie). It needs a new hard drive, the current one was eeking by well enough that after a 15 hour reboot process (started Noon on Sunday) I was able to move a few critical files off my external hard drive. My project managers have arranged a loaner that will arrive Tuesday AM so I can get *some* work done while waiting for my refurbished machine back on Thursday.
Monday was my hubbie’s last official day at work. We both were fighting depression all weekend, but today we really had a hard time keeping it at bay. They offered him an extra 4 days (surprise, surprise – too much work for the folks left) and he took the offer. We planned to take a walk after work and then sit on the porch to enjoy the sunny evening before dinner. But his boss invited him to a meeting that lasted until 7 PM – most of the time spent discussing the work everyone else on the team will be doing after DH is gone. We missed our outside time and put us into the funk we were trying to avoid. But today will be a new day.
WI – 182 lbs., not too bad considering everything. Exercise – offplan; I just didn’t feel up to it this AM. I started yoga and just felt sad. So I practiced piano instead, which lifted my spirits.
Food – op. Didn’t actually make a plan, but had one going mentally. Did read my cards.
Bill I envy that you hate shopping, but kudos for facing it down. Your homegrown lettuce sounds so tasty! As does the bean soup. Credit for good healthy food and a walk!

Robin Sorry last week was so bad – and for the terrible fall. Yikes for the chiro. There must be better ones nearby! Credit for getting ‘ your ducks back in a row

Beth Credit for 10K steps per day and eating mindfully! I’ve been lurking more than posting the last 2 weeks, but I’ve been really impressed with your dedication. Yeah, I rely on the lessons on hunger almost every day. I hope you find them as useful!

one by one Ouch for being overwhelmed. But credit for the walk to the mall, and the extra walk around it for good measure…

Tera nice pain numbers, but sorry you are still contagious. Credit for all the good effort. That’s a nice NSV.

Kim Quite a busy day – but kudos for keeping busy with your kids. Hope tomorrow is better!

Anne Kudos for the good run. Hope DS feels better.

I’m back to bed – and today will be a better day!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:07 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Did my gym including four (4) pull ups for the first time ever; CREDIT moi.

Faced an array of food at a meeting/potluck last night. Desserts are usually easy for me to skip in their entirety. I brought a stack of whole peaches in addition to the sushi just so folks would have a choice. Well, one smart person chopped up a peach and added it to vanilla ice cream; I was smitten. Had to have it. Bad news - it was soooooooooo good. Reminded me of making home made ice cream as a kid when we always added peaches. Now I'll have to work to keep that out of my life. Oh Well.

onebyone - Kudos for chiseling out small steps to take when overwhelming is such a looming block. You've got more major life decisions on your plate than most adults have to face at one moment. Sending you supportive thoughts to keep nibbling at the edges; we're all right here to support you. The wagon will be there when you're ready.

Robin (RobinW) - Yes indeed, HUGE Kudos for "all my ducks back in a row" after your busy day and weekend. And Kudos for equanimity in the face of a "hissy fit." I find that when someone overreacts to my error, I feel less bad - their bad behavior absolves me a little, LOL.

Ouch for that fall; sounds painful. Sending supportive thoughts for finding a non-mildewed chiropractor to work it with you.

Anne (wndranne) - Ouch for the diseases that the little ones collect. Kudos for the good morning run.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yay for yet another low (1) pain day; what a difference from just a month ago.

Congrats on the loose ring. Smart move to wait on the resizing. Have you tried one of the various types of "ring size adjusters" made for rings that are too large. (I searched Amazon with that phrase and got a list of gizmos.)

ChinaMaine - Kudos for fighting the depression from your DH's job loss. Sounds smart that you plan positive time to help with that.

And Kudos for patiently waiting out a 15 hour!!!! reboot to salvage the critical files on your hard disk. Hope your old workhorse makes it back on Thursday.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yay for a full day in the sun with the kids. Ouch for being exhausted, but Kudos for posting anyway.

Beth (Greenville Beth) - Kudos for setting a realistic five pound goal. And Kudos for getting 10300 steps and your paintings done in the same day. (You walk while painting or sumptin' ? LOL)

Yay for "...this stuff might actually be working!" Love that feeling that this simplistic magic stuff has the impact that I want.

Good luck at your "real" job. It sounds pretty exciting, as well as potentially very busy.

Readers -
Quote:
Before You Move On
. . .
You're ready to move on to Stage 2 once you've not only checked off each skill for seven consecutive days, but you also firmly believe that:
• If I’m hungry or craving or just want to eat for emotional reasons, it’s no big deal. These aren’t emergencies. I know what to do to resist. I can wait until my next scheduled meal or snack.
. . .

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 105
Old 06-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #13  
Lovin' Life

Good Morning

Bill~ lol, yes her hissy fit did make me feel better about my little mistake. I was very good at turning her mountainish issue into a blip Im sure in her world this was a major issue, I just hope she keeps it to herself, or tells everyone how quickly we "fixed" it.

Big Honkin' Kudos for 4 pullups!! Im jealous!

I had to laugh at your peaches and icecream....sometimes it's just ok.

ChinaMaine~ Im sorry to hear about dh's job Good for you tho for trying to work thru it. Kudos to your hubby too for staying at a meeting past 5pm on his last day. I dont think I would have bothered...but I tend to be spiteful about things like that.

Anne~

Beth~ Kudos for getting in over 10,000 steps!! Some days I have trouble getting in over 6,000! Its neat tho to see how many steps we actually do when shopping, gardening, and house cleaning. It always surprises me.

Tera~ Sounds like you are doing awesome!! Kudos for rings that are too big!
...I go to the chiro today at 12:30....called one from one of my networking groups.

onebyone~

Well, my neck hurts so bad I called one of the chiro's from my networking meetings. She called this morning and set me up for 12:30. She also knows how much I dont want to come and see her. Even hubby is surprised I made the appointment. I just dont like going....kinda like the dentist and those other dr's for girls Wouldnt it be great if you could go to a dr. that used a magic wand like harry potter? Or did the magic blink like I dream of Jeannie

Im off......have an awesome day everyone!!

Oh...food and exercise isnt back 100% yet, but its getting there.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #14  
Practicing Imperfection

Dinner went well--thank you for the encouragement! Right now I am avoiding my lunchtime walk(it's now 2:30).

Bill--I have a potluck tonight, so I can relate! Except I've never avoided the desserts. . .

Greenville Beth--I'm impressed with your slowing down and counting between bites. I am always the first person finished(except with my sister). And congrats on getting your paintings done and to the gallery--I know how much prep time that kind of thing can take.

ChinaMaine--I'm glad you played the piano.

Margaret
Old 06-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #15  
Lovin' Life

...back from the chiro. Feeling a bit better, but the muscles are still in "protective" gear.

....gonna make an appt with the message therapist I stressed over at christmas.

HA! Can you tell Im falling apart Its gotta be bad for me to go and have a bunch of strangers touch me

Food isnt too shabby so far today........the sun is shiney so its all good
Closed Thread