Old 06-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #1  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default How do you stay cool?

ok its june. and here in the uk its unusually sunny not the pleasent drizzle we are conditioned too. its been in and around the mid to high 70's. now for most of you this is nothing but to someone who's used to wearing shorts and a tshirt when its in 30's and raining how do you cope. i'm struggling to eat hot food basically i'm letting it get cold then eating it. i'm drinking constantly i'm showering 4 times a day to cool down.

now the problem is the fact that over here it can be in the 70's pushing 80 this week and then in a few days be back in the high 50's.

all i want is a nice soothing bit of lovely grey drizzle
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

We eat a lot of cold food Seriously! If it's not grilled outside then it's easy stuff like salmon salad, cold soups, pasta salads, etc. There is a huge section in the newest WW cookbook with the stuff....oh yeah and if not that stuff then a crockpot. It has been in the mid 90's here with 80% humidity and I try not to heat up my house more than necessary to not strain my a/c.

I'm lucky though and have a pool, covered back deck, fans outside and I'm not afraid to wear shorts and sleeveless shirts I'm one of the weirdos that love the heat. The humidity I could do without though...it's like walking into a hot moist wall sometimes
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Air conditioning and lots of water. Seriously for the last several years, I have hid all summer in the air conditioning, spending as little time outside as possible. I was too self-conscience to wear shorts so it was just too hot to be outside in jeans. My weight, aside from giving me too much insulation also has messed with my liver function, my hormones and my thyroid function making feel like a human furnace. This year, I am actually not as hot, getting my health under control and dropping 50lbs has helped a huge amount.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't know. We had snow yesterday. / If we ever get summer, I'll let you know!
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
i'm struggling to eat hot food basically i'm letting it get cold then eating it. i'm drinking constantly i'm showering 4 times a day to cool down.
I eat cold (well, more room temp really) food all summer, I don't see a problem there! Things like green salads with beans, or cold rice & veggie salads. I'm vegetarian now, but when I wasn't, I just added in cold meat. By winter I'm craving some hot foods again, and then by spring I'm craving my cool foods again.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #6  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

air conditioning around here is called a window . luckily the temp is expected to drop from around 25c to around 14c by friday which will be nice all we need now is a nice bit of rain to cheer me up
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #7  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Staying cool is apparently no longer an issue for me--I'm freezing all the time now, after losing 80 pounds. I live in northern California, and last week when it was 80 degrees, that suited me juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #8  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
Staying cool is apparently no longer an issue for me--I'm freezing all the time now, after losing 80 pounds. I live in northern California, and last week when it was 80 degrees, that suited me juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine.
It just started getting warm here. And I am really curious to see how I will cope this year with 30 lbs. less. In the past, it has been a nightmare for me to try and stay cool with all the extra insulation I was carrying.
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #9  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

We're totally spoiled here in the Southern U.S. Air conditioned houses, air conditioned cars, air conditioned stores...in fact, many people actually carry a sweater with them to restaurants and movies in the summer because the blessed air conditioning is always set to freeze-ray in those places!
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Jennelle, no kidding. I'm in California not the South, but I always freeze in restaurants. Seems to be worse the hotter it is outside.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-01-2009 at 07:34 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM   #11  
Ray of Sunshine

S/C/G: 243/241/140

Height: 5'4"

I'm in New England and I never know what time of year it is! It's been all over, one day 90, one day 40. I've got AC but generally don't put it in until I have to (think mid-July) so I just kind of plow through the days where it's hot...and I'm usually at work anyway and we are lucky that it for the most part cools down at night....the past few nights it's been in the 30s! Lots of cold food here too on those hot days!

I was in London a couple of summers ago and it was this insane week where it was close to 90 every day...there is no AC really anywhere...but if we really needed to get out of the heat and take a break we'd hit the museums...art is, for the most part, temperature controlled and I believe entry in the UK is still free unlike the US.
YogaGal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Agreed on the stores and theatres being tooooo dadgummed COLD!

During the summer we grill outside LOTS and stay in the pool LOTS. I also try to keep my oven off and do my dishwashing/laundry in the evenings. I hope this helps. Oh, also ceiling fans can be a real lifesaver. I have them in every room--well, except the kitchen.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle View Post
We're totally spoiled here in the Southern U.S. Air conditioned houses, air conditioned cars, air conditioned stores...in fact, many people actually carry a sweater with them to restaurants and movies in the summer because the blessed air conditioning is always set to freeze-ray in those places!
LOL. SO true! I really would not know how to cope without AC. In high school girls would actually carry blankets from class to class because it was freezing all the time. Anyways, temperature it is all relative. I would love mid 70s weather. In the summer we hang around the low 90s most of the time. Mid 80s right now. I agree with everyone else, cool drinks, cool food, light colored and cotton clothing help you to stay cool,

Last edited by utgirl09; 06-01-2009 at 07:51 PM.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #14  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Last summer at 370+ lbs I BAKED THE ENTIRE SUMMER. Sweat pouring. Rashes. nasty.

This summer. I am freezing. It's over 20 degree's outside, the sun is shining and I'm cool. I think it's because I've lost so much so fast and my internal temperature regulator is messed up I freeze ALL THE TIME. It kinda sucks to be honest!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #15  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

What to do with unseasonably high temperatures!
You have to think of two factors -- the bulb temperature (what does the thermometer say?) and the humidity because the higher the humidity the higher the temperature will FEEL.
Mid 70s doesn't sound that warm, but if you are in a humid environment, it may feel like it is around 90 degrees!
Here are some hints:

IF you have a portable fan, put it in an open window facing inwards. This'll move fresh air into the house. Make sure the window is really open, so you don't block the air movement behind the fan.

HYDRATE! Drink lots and lots of water. You might want to include an electrolyte supplement from the chemists (over the counter) so that you maintain your electrolyte balances. If you are sweating alot, you might want to do this, say, in the am and the pm. Something like Gastrolyte (a powder, no sugars!) or anything that the chemist recommends for those who have - ahem- diarrhea as the effects of a GI disturbance are the same as those if you sweat alot.

Avoid drinks that dehydrate you. Sorry -- lay off the coffee and beer and alcohol and fizzy drinks with caffeine in them. Caffeine is a dehydrator, and lots of people will drink tons of fizzy caffeine-laden cold drinks in the summer, not realizing that they are dehydrating themselves.

Eat lightly, with lots of salads and fruit and cold foods (i.e. a low-fat ploughman's lunch if there is such a thing! is easier for you to digest that a steamy bowl of hot chili or, sigh, curry, especially if you aren't used to the heat). I know, in hot climates they eat hot foods, but this is kind of a special instance as you may not be acclimatized!

If you get really hot, get a facecloth, put it in cold water, and lay it over your head. Or take one of your bandannas and soak it in cold water and tie it on your head. A cold facecloth on the base of your neck feels great, too.

Try to protect your skin from direct sun. There is a reason why those in the Middle East are covered head to toe in white, loose clothes! Direct sun on skin feels way, way hotter and you don't want to burn!

Hope this helps!
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-01-2009 at 09:03 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote