Old 05-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #1  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Homemade cake sugar substitute

So for my hubby's bday I'm making the cake. My problem is I'm also making the frosting and fondant from scratch.

The frosting asks for powdered sugar and the fondant asks for marshmellows. Do they make powdered Stevia or something? I mean I'm going to use the reduced sugar cake mix, but wanted to see if I could get away with substituting something for the powdered sugar- thank you!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

To make powdered sugar from regular sugar (sorta) you can whir it in a food processor for a bit. I don't know if it would work with Stevia, the kind I buy is pretty fine as is.

Out of curiosity, I googled lower calorie frosting, and came up with using powdered milk and Splenda/Stevia to get the consistency you're looking for.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Thanks!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

If that doesn't turn out for you, do you have a back up plan? I've got years of unsuccessful low sugar baking under my belt so I got used to back up plans. I'm not sure if you are going for low cal or low sugar/carbs, but strawberries are in season right now - this could be a perfect time for strawberry shortcake. You can sweeten the berries with splenda if you need to, and put it on an angel food cake or shortbread (not sweet, and the consistency of a drop-biscuit) with some cream whipped up with a packet of splenda.

That may not even be the direction you are looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

Another backup plan that's worked well for me is a lemon cake - it's not supposed to be super sweet. Top it with some strawberries and the flavors of tart and sweet are out of this world, without being as high in calories as, say, chocolate.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You can also use fat-free cream cheese mixed with the frosting recipe. Yes, it somewhat alters the taste but really lessens the calories.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote