Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 6

Default Breakfast ideas for camping?

I'm looking for some breakfast ideas for camping that will be easy. I want something that I won't have to cook and will keep okay in a cooler. I obviously want something that will fill me up. The only things I can think of are hard boiled eggs and apples with PB.

I always used to bring doughnuts for breakfast when we're camping... I can't even imagine doing that now!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

what if you made some healthy, high fiber muffins (like oatmeal applesauce muffins) and pack those in a tupperware or freezer bag?

those with a bit of protein (hard boiled egg, cheese string, handful of almonds, individual yogurts) should fill you up.
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

How about cereal and fruit? There are many different kinds of milk that don't need refrigeration (non-dairy or otherwise.) You can even get cows milk in tetra packs that don't need refrigeration.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #4  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

As you have a cooler, here are some thoughts:

Yogert and fruit with 1-2 tbsp of all-bran cereal on top

Bran muffins

Whole grain buns with meats and cheese (as they do in Germany) - one of my camping favorites as the meat/lowfat cheese with bread is almost a perfect 40/30/30 meal)

Multigrain bread with sliced tomatoes, precooked crispy bacon, and non-fat mayo

Cottage cheese with fruit

Just some thoughts...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-31-2009 at 01:46 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:20 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love these, http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/20...ted-again.html when camping
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:39 PM   #6  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

When we go camping breakfast consists of:

bagels, cream cheese, yogurt, fruit, tea, hot chocolate
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Well depends on your definition of cooking I guess but I love oatmeal. We usually heat some water up for instant coffee or hot chocolate anyway so making a bowl of oatmeal isn't any extra work and doesn't need to be refrigerated. Or we'll do cereal and milk the first morning and make sure to use up all the milk the first day so we don't have to worry about it going bad. Other than that oranges and good. Or pretty much any healthy breakfast bar or bread product you would normally eat.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #8  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

This does involve cooking, but you can do "omelettes in a bag". You only need to be able to boil water and the clean up is a snap. If you make with eggbeaters and pre-cooked veggies (prepped at home and kept in the cooler), it is highly diet-friendly. Here's the recipe:

Ziploc baggie omelets (take permanent marker!)
- 2 eggs (or eggbeaters)
- Your choice of add-ins (ham, bacon, onions, peppers, cheese, hash browns, etc.)

Set a large pot of water to boil. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into the bag, and shake to combine them. Put in your ingredients and shake gently to combine. Before placing the bag in the boiling water, make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up. Place the bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can usually cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot. Open the bags and the omelet will roll out easily. Be prepared to be amazed - it really works!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote