Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #1  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Pre-Diabetes?

A few months ago I found out I have pre-diabetes and it's all because of my weight because no one in my family has ever had diabetes.
So, I'm trying to lose weight and eat healthy. However, my diet includes a lot of fruits and some whole grain breads and noodles... and if you have pre-diabetes you're supposed to restrict carb intake.
So, do you think it'd be okay if I continue my diet as long as I lose the weight and get rid of the pre-diabetes?
How "pre" is "pre" anyway?
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #2  

Losing weight without controlling your insulin resistance(IR) will not make your "pre-diabetes" any better. I did it and I ended up worse. Sorry.
You do not have to eliminate carbs. But you should pay close attention to how you react to each sort of carb.
You should check out a glycemic index diet. Certain fruits and grains are just bad to eat with IR. But you can lessen their effects with food combining.
You may want to start a journal for a little while and write down how you feel after each food for the first 30 mintues, 60 minutes, 2 hours....
if you ever feel tired after a certain food, then it is causing blood sugar and insulin swings. That would be a carb you try to stay away from or only eat rarely.
High fiber foods will have a lower GI. Also paring them with fat or protein lowers the GI and makes the sugar absorb more slowly.
This style of eating will also help your meds work better if your doctor prescribed anything for the IR.

Pre-diabetes is basically mild Type 2 diabetes. But you can make a huge difference with some tweaks to your diet and lifestyle. When it comes to insulin issues, its not how much weight, but HOW you lose it that is key.
Also strength training helps a lot. More muscle mass leads to better insulin efficiency.
I have had this for years and once I got over myself and my stubbornness, I managed to devise an eating lifestyle and fitness routine that works wonders for my insulin.
Good luck!!
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote