South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/138

Height: 5'3"

Default Tested online, said SBD best for me.....

What can I expect from this way of eating. It said that due to my wanting to eat nothing but junk food is why this one should work for me.....I'm guessing this gets rid of cravings. What can I expect during this first stage? Am I going to feel like h*** the first few days? Will it affect my bathroom habits? How much do you lose during first phase and then how much each week during second phase......1 - 2 pounds a week. I am really needing something that works for me. I need to feel full during the day or I will be tempted. Does this keep you form getting hungry right after you eat? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by CannieD; 05-24-2009 at 12:32 PM.
CannieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #2  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

personally i felt great on phase 1 but others get what has fondly been known as the south beach flu. If you make sure to eat your veggies in get in the beans it helps alot. and to be honest sb was the easiest plan i've ever followed...very liveable
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #3  
Eating less, moving more

S/C/G: 245/238/165

from what I recall when I did South Beach 5 years ago, I did have to deal with some cravings the first few days, but the way I got myself through the two weeks was to tell myself that I only had to do this for those two weeks, and if I didn't like it or it didn't work, I could quit doing it.

The great thing is that it did work, the cravings went away, I felt great, and at the end of the two weeks I'd lost over 10lbs so there was no way I wanted to throw that away.

Eat lots of veggies, and plan ahead for your meals. I usually pick out a few recipes for meals that look interesting and tasty, and spend my Sunday afternoon cooking them and then freezing into individual portions so I don't have to put much thought into my meals for the week.

What failed for me was gradually falling back into my old eating habits, and I gained back about 30 of the 40lbs I'd originally lost while doing South Beach.
HisSweetGypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #4  

Reinforcement....this is great!!! Gypsy Rose, you said you lost 40 lbs...Wow. Do you recall how long this took? Everyone knows the quicker the results, the more intense you become. I need intense!
Old 05-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Actually slow and steady is the best way to lose and more likely you will keep it off. You should definitely pick up a copy of the book, the library might have one. This plan is designed for life, not just as a diet. If you follow it you will lose most of your cravings for sweet, sugar laden foods and get healthier. I've kept my weight off for almost a year now (1 year in 10 days!) and still find it an easy plan to live with and feel great.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cannie!

If you are considering this plan, the best thing to do first is to borrow a copy of the book from the library or a friend and read it through. The book explains in easy to understand format the fundamentals of this healthy way of eating, and will give you sample menus to use as a guideline as an example of just what you will be able to enjoy.

Although you may lose up to 14 lbs on the 14 days of Phase 1, it will totally depend on how much weight you have to lose and your metabolism. In Phase 2, where fruit and starches are introduced, you will be losing weight at a much slower pace, but it is also more likely to be a permanent loss as long as you stay on plan.

Good luck, and we hope to hear from you often!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #7  
Eating less, moving more

S/C/G: 245/238/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannieD View Post
Reinforcement....this is great!!! Gypsy Rose, you said you lost 40 lbs...Wow. Do you recall how long this took? Everyone knows the quicker the results, the more intense you become. I need intense!
The 40lbs was over a 3-4 month period. Cyndi is right, slow is best. It's difficult, but it's best. As I've learned over the years, there really is no fast fix.

I've also seen copies of the book at thrift stores. Most thrift stores usually have at least one copy whenever I've been.

And good luck! I'm finding great encouragement here on these forums. One of the things I've been doing is visiting the thread where people are sharing photos of their progress. It's amazing what discipline, healthy eating and exercise will do

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 05-24-2009 at 07:03 PM.
HisSweetGypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #8  

Thrift store is a good idea....had not thought about that.

CyndiM - 1 year - that is great! I want to be able to say that next year. I will also be turning the big 5 0 next year and want to feel good about myself. Lately I have been one of those.....your face is so pretty, too bad you're heavy. Next year I want to be ...you are 50? Wow, you look great! Really, I'd like to be pretty close to goal by November of this year, my daughter is having her third child and I don't want to shy away from the pictures anymore, or my ex!!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
CyndiM - 1 year - that is great! I want to be able to say that next year. I will also be turning the big 5 0 next year and want to feel good about myself. Lately I have been one of those.....your face is so pretty, too bad you're heavy. Next year I want to be ...you are 50? Wow, you look great! Really, I'd like to be pretty close to goal by November of this year, my daughter is having her third child and I don't want to shy away from the pictures anymore, or my ex!!
Hi Cannie I started SBD 10/07, when I was 46. Everything was starting to ache and I felt ancient. My body seemed much older than I felt so I decided it was time to do something, for real! I'd dieted and lost then regained several times and knew I had to make a permanent lifestyle change. This is a great plan for so many reasons. It hits all the right notes in terms of the things we should be doing as we age - whole foods, lots of fiber, good fats, low saturated fat. Even without the weight loss it would be a good way to eat but the weight loss makes such a difference.

How much and how fast you lose will be affected by a lot of things including how well you stick to the plan, whether you are pre or post menopause, how much exercise you get, etc. I did lose my weight pretty fast but I have to tell you I did not eat anything off plan until mid-May 2008. Most people find it easier to adapt the plan a little to allow off plan foods now and then but I was totally focused on getting it done. That was important for me because I still need to stick to the plan pretty faithfully or the lbs start creeping back immediately. I think after lots of years of being obese and being the age I am my body naturally tends toward higher weights so I have to be vigilant all the time. That's not as bad as it sounds but it is important to know you are making a change for life, not just for a few months.

Get the book, clean out your cupboards, and get started For now check out the food lists and start changing your eating so you slide right into Phase 1 when you are ready. You can do this and you will be so glad you did!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #10  

I do exercise nearly every day, but I have also had a complete hysterectomy over 17 years ago. I will get the list of foods that I need to start so that I can get get going right away. Exercising alone I have lost 2.5 inches off of my waist, so I will be excited to see what combining both will do for me. BTW your pictures of you are awesome CyndiM!!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 338 / 302 / 238

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
What can I expect from this way of eating. It said that due to my wanting to eat nothing but junk food is why this one should work for me.....I'm guessing this gets rid of cravings. What can I expect during this first stage? Am I going to feel like h*** the first few days? Will it affect my bathroom habits? How much do you lose during first phase and then how much each week during second phase......1 - 2 pounds a week. I am really needing something that works for me. I need to feel full during the day or I will be tempted. Does this keep you form getting hungry right after you eat? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
I just recently did Phase 1 a few months ago, so I'll give you a brief bio and how it went for me.

I've been overweight since after high school, and I finally hit my highest at around 338. My main problem, which I can recognize, is that I'm a boredom eater. For some reason if I get bored, I look for a snack or something to munch on. Usually something extremely bad like junk food. The other problem I had was a mother who would not eat ANYTHING green at all. I kind of picked up on that but could eat a few vegetables. After my doctor mentioned gastric bypass surgery twice, I decided to get serious about losing weight.

- Make sure you read the book. I read the book, and then got the audiobook to listen too in my car, to make sure I understood the program. It's essential to know WHY you're eating the way you do so you can make educated choices in odd situations.

- Clean out the fridge and pantries of all the bad stuff, and things you're not allowed to eat. If you're actually willing to lose weight, you won't cheat yourself, but it helps to not even have the temptation. Also, you're going to need room for the new stuff you're stocking up on.

- Go ahead and plan out your meals for the week. Nothing ruins a diet like rushing around in the morning and not having anything healthy to eat. Thankfully eggs are easy to fix, and I used a lot of them in phase I.

- Stick to the six meals concept. Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, Dinner, dessert. That helped me most of all. Most times that little snack held me until the next meal and I wasn't ready to gorge out when it finally arrived. Cheese-sticks were my friend, and I would often eat one before going out so that I didn't go nuts on a bread basket etc.

- I ended up picking up all the recipe books and they came in handy, but I didn't use them that often. This site had plenty, and they're free of charge. The ricotta dessert doesn't sound good but man was it awesome. I liked the lemon zest one so much, I ate nothing but that the first week for my dessert.

As for my results? I lost about 20 to 25 lbs in that first two weeks of the diet, during phase 1. I don't know exactly how much it was because my home scale wouldn't even weigh me, so I had to go by what my last doctor visit showed.

After that I lost about 2 lbs per week, but I had joined a gym and was doing 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week plus muscle training 3 days a week. Due to financial difficulties, I've had to put the membership on hold. As a result, my weight loss has stopped, but at least it hasn't gone up.

I think the key to any diet, is your willingness to follow it. You have to really want it or you're just going to slide back into your old ways.
Kriterian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #12  

Kriterian...I keep seeing that everyone says to read the book, and I am sure it is full of a wealth of info. But isn't all the info here on this website that a person needs to succeed? Is there info that would make the difference between success and failure?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #13  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Kriterian said:
Quote:
It's essential to know WHY you're eating the way you do so you can make educated choices in odd situations.
and that is exactly why we all keep stressing reading the book.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #14  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

It's also essential to know what to look for when you read ingredient labels on everyday foods that you may think are healthy. The book explains what to look for, what ingredients are unhealthy and why. This more than anything helped me make smart choices when grocery shopping.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #15  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Cannie! Glad to have you with us. It's great that you worked to find a plan that would suit you well.

Quote:
Kriterian...I keep seeing that everyone says to read the book, and I am sure it is full of a wealth of info. But isn't all the info here on this website that a person needs to succeed? Is there info that would make the difference between success and failure?
No, actually, the only info on this website that can help you officially succeed would be the lists of Foods to Enjoy and Foods to Avoid. Other than that, all the information you need to succeed on this plan is in the book. This forum provides tons of support and lots of tools, like great recipes, but it doesn't give you the information you need in order to succeed.

This plan really requires you to read the book. What Dr. A describes is how your body works and you use that information to help you figure out what is going on with your own body. There's not much (if any) counting on this plan and a lot of it is based on figuring out what works for your own body. Without the information in the book, you can't do that. If you're worried about cost, just borrow the book from the library or consider buying it from a used book store or online at a site like www.alibris.com.

Quote:
Everyone knows the quicker the results, the more intense you become. I need intense!
Honestly, I've never heard anyone say this before. I have, however, heard many, many people espouse the benefits of slow, steady weight loss. All the large studies of successful dieters have shown that slow weight loss is much more likely to be maintained, helps the dieter form habits that stick, and gives skin time to rebound so that you have less "saggy, baggy" skin afterwards. I've certainly found all of these to be true as have many of our maintainers.

On the other hand, I've met many people (and have personal experience as well) who lost large amounts of weight quickly and then gained it back just as quickly. Worst of all, when you lose weight quickly, you often lose a combination of muscle and fat. When you regain, you usually only gain fat. So you end up losing muscle, which burns calories, setting you up for gaining even more than you lost in the first place (which is what often happens).

Bottom line?

Read the book before you start. You should also check out the thread stickied at the top of this forum entitled, "Prepare Yourself to Start South Beach" for help with setting yourself up for success.

Lose slow and steady. Don't aim for large drops in weight--you're likely to get disappointed and fall off the wagon.

Last edited by beachgal; 05-27-2009 at 12:09 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote