Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 02:32 PM   #1  

Default Fresh Start

Here we go! Aimee and Ruby I'm looking forward to hearing from you, and maybe some others will come in to get/give support. This thread is for anyone just starting or restarting, for those who see every day as a new start, or anyone who wants to join in just because.

I was supposed to walk yesterday, but didn't. My blood sugar dropped like an arctic temperature and I had to rest. Today is Sunday and as a Preacher's wife, I use what little rest time I have. Hmmm...maybe I should make the sacrficie...it's only 10 minutes, right? It will make my life and work easier in the long run, which will help me as I help others. And I really will rest better dealing with effort instead of excuses (even legitimate ones). OK, you talked me into it!

Aimee, just keep at it. Never look back, except on the very rare occasion that it makes going forward easier. Instead of not walking because you ate too much, work on getting the habit of exercise set up, because then it works in reverse. When I walk regularly, it not only decreases my appetite, but I'm also hesitant to overeat because I don't want to undo all my hard work.

Hey, Ruby, where did you get that cheese?? Are you from Wisconsin? Bahaha! I miss the fall colors. I have a fall colors screen saver, but it doesn't include the smell of burning leaves, the sound of geese flying south, or the crisp cold air on my cheeks and in my hair. Just not the same!
Old 10-20-2002, 02:59 PM   #2  
Finally Fit!

I followed you here, fomr the other thread, and I'd love to get some guidance form you girls. Thanks for the input about pacing myself walking, and keeping it up, even on bad days. And, I don't have to feel like I'm racing against the clock just to burn an extra calorie. Listen, I don't know what racewalking is. Fill me in!
Old 10-20-2002, 03:51 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7

Angry We're on our way!

Woohoo! It feels like Christmas morning w/ this brand new thread up and going!
First off, Hello Svelte pleased to meet ya! I'd have to agree with Race on choosing how much walking is right for yourself. Somedays I'm not walking to lose weight, just to keep me going. When I'm having a bad day that walk helps. When I wake up the next day-even if I've eaten a bunch of junk- I know I did something positive yesterday.

Aimee-I know exactly what you're saying about thinking you've ruined your day with bad food choices. I was the queen of it! However I'm finding that by forcing (sometimes dragging) myself out to do my walk I give myself power. Power over myself, power over my day day, and power over that food. I figure I can eat that food and give up and fall right back into what I've been doing for years (being extremely unhappy). Or I can make a mistake, eat some bad food AND go for that walk-and flip it to the positive. I did it just last night, I gave into some pizza and a brownie, felt really guilty but I just went anyway. Look I'm still here today!

Hi Race! glad to hear we (you) talked yourself into it. Haha! Oh I know blood sugar can be a tricky thing. I hope you were able do a little walking today, let us know how it went. Yes the fall is nice but it is funny you should mention geese. Just last week I was standing outside my house as a flock was flying over squawking away, I looked up and what did I see headed straight for my face? About 6 or 7 poo bombs! Thankfully I was nimble(ha!) enough to dive out of the way-they missed me by 5inches. True story, my sister who saw it all fell on the ground she was laughing so hard. I think I have a love/hate relationship with nature now.

Anyway as said, I did get mywalk in yesterday. It was tough getting out there I almost backed off twice. I don't know how far I go because I take a random neighborhood pattern with hills and things. But its takes me about 45 minutes to complete it usually and I get my heart rate up on those hills (believe me!). So I'm doing good so far. We'll see what today brings.

Well hope you all had a good sunday, Hope to see you tomorrow!
Old 10-20-2002, 07:04 PM   #4  
Finally Fit!

ALready off to a good start today! I went to church, went out for the dog walk (1 mile), and then had a healthy lunch (tuna on pita, veggie sticks, WOW chips on the side, dill pickle).. fille dme right up! And motivated me to keep going, and went for another walk after dinner, 1.5 miles ... and with the hubby this time! What a beautiful night, and we're planning on clocking different locaitons, and starting to walk together! Thank God! I so need hubby to get in on this! Now, he doesn't need to lose weight, he's on chemo so that'll handle his weight for him. It's the energy he needs. And, if you get into a groove, it's like a cycle: drag yourself out, walk, feel energized.. go back, do it again.. Keep it up, and you're ahead of yourself energy wise! I pray he stays in this with me! Congrats on the other walkers here!
Old 10-20-2002, 10:09 PM   #5  

Boy, if we were up and running as well as this thread, we'd all be falling exhausted into the sack early tonight! Bwahaha! It is a real blessing to me to see our little group forming, all with the same needs, all as excited about giving as getting.

Hey! I just found the other 85 emoticon! Way kewl! Yes, this will make life much more interesting!

Svelte, I'm glad to see you sticking with us. Two and a half miles! WooHoo! I hope your husband stays with it, too. The natural antidepressants are very important to someone on chemo and fighting health problems. Also for his wife.
You're right. Consistency is one of the few really major keys to successful exercising. When you consistently eat wrong, one salad doesn't fix much. When you exercise regularly, a slack here and there doesn't do but so much damage.
Also, attitude toward exercise is important. It should never be about panic, guilt or punishment, just about making things better at a sane pace. If making things better becomes as painful (or moreso) than the problem itself, there is no way you'll exercise the discipline required to do it.
Racewalking is another name for power walking. It gives the same benefits of running, but with the lower health risk of walking. Less painful, too! Bwahaha! I can't jog without gasping like a dying fish, but right from the start I can pace my racewalking so that my breathing is deep but not torturous.

Ruby, you are too funny! I'm glad you looked up when you did...a few seconds later and eeeeeeeeewwwwwww! Bwahaha! Down here we see the geese starting for the north in the early spring. But thankfully no poo bombs.
Sounds like your doing great with your walking. You go, girl!
Yes, I did do my walk today. But between the fact that my Sunday afternoon rest is one of the few things I have to insist on doing for myself, and the fact that it started raining just as I was going out, I only did 1/4 mile. But consistency is my real goal right now, so that's fine. So many times I've gotten started with nice, respectable distances & speeds, etc., but then quit. If I can just not let anything totally stop me (rain, tiredness, attitude, discouragement, etc...), I'll continue and do better another day.

I read one time that a study of women who regularly took half-hour walks had more sense of well-being and a better ability to handle problems/meet challenges, etc...and that women who stopped were not benefitted by the free time. It said that the regular half hour spent in planning, thinking things over, making decisions, etc., more than compensated for the time it took from their schedule. They didn't even mention the decreased stress, fatigue and sickness. That's gotta help!
Old 10-21-2002, 01:49 PM   #6  

Default Happy Monday

Hi everyone,
How is your day going? Last night my dog,the cutest black lab, and I took our night walk. It was a great workout afterward I felt pretty tired. So I think I'm getting the intensity right. Today I think I might go to this great nature trail near my house that has a soft wood chip track. It's nice to get away from the sidewalks and road sometimes. Pus I can measure distance because each lap is one mile. I'm thinking about starting some light weight training about 3 times a week. I've done this in the past and its a good workout for the upper body-we'll see how it goes. Is anyone else doing some supplemental exercises, situps, stretching etc? I've always wanted to get into yoga.

Racewalker-Thanks so much for that Bravo-it makes me feel like an Olympian or something! Looks like you're getting a great start yourself come rain or shine. You're right about consistency. It's so important for me to be out there everyday no matter how long or far. Walking has amazing benefits, it seems to be the perfect exercise. My own father lost about 100 pounds over 3 years just walking. He's in great shape now and still walking-for about 10 years. So I'm convinced.

Great start Svelte Two walks that's admirable. It's nice to have a walking partner too. What great support for eachother. Sometimes I convince a friend or family member to join me. If I'm dragging its good to have the conversation to distract me. Now they're asking ME if they can go- I must be good company. Hehehe

Well I hope everyone is having a happy healthy day. And Aimee if you're out there come join us! Let us know how you're doing.

Take Care <-- this guy is so cute!
Old 10-21-2002, 04:22 PM   #7  
Finally Fit!

Back again! I've been a slug all day, but then hopped up to help mow the lawn, front and back... then helped to install cabinets at the rental property we're trying to renovate... and the rent out. That was some work! Good for me, since I wans't gonna do a darn thing, because of tonight's aerobics. I ding that Aerobics gives me that hour long, sweat your pants off feeling, and there's a little of everything, weights, legs (floor work), and abs (floor work again).. And step work .. even though I don't have a step. So, I get a lot for an hour...

Ruby: I also love Pilates. although I haven't done my video in a while.. it's wonderful, and I think, better than Yoga. You should look into it. It's great, and very calming.
Old 10-21-2002, 04:23 PM   #8  
Finally Fit!

I gotta work on my kepboard skills... it's a wonddr you guys understand any of my posts!
Old 10-21-2002, 09:32 PM   #9  

Hi, all! Glad to hear from you!

Ruby, that measured nature trail sounds awesome. The company I work for just moved into a brand spankin' new building with a trail like that. I haven't checked it out because it's still just too stinking hot to walk in the middle of the day and then report straight back to work with smeared, sweaty makeup and a greasy mop. When the weather cools down for a couple weeks later this year...
I know a lot of people who get into great shape with weights. I did little handweights for awhile and it made a great difference (again, I didn't keep it up). It's a really good idea.
And your more than welcome for the applause...just giving credit where credit is due.

Svelte - girl, you can come be a slug at my house any day! Bwahaha! I've got lots of things for you to do! I've heard great things about Pilates, but I thought you needed all this highly specialized equipment...?
An on't worry a out you k y oar , Ru y, min is missing a coupl of k ys, too! Bwahaha!

Tomorrow is walk day. I took my allowed day off today (some paperwork and matters to be handled), but tomorrow I go to the end of the street.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:48 AM   #10  
Finally Fit!

RaceWalker: Where in tarnashuns do you live, that it's hot during the day. We're freezing here in Maryland! Turtleneck Season!

Pilates , for the movie starts, does require some equiptment, but when you think about the actual movements, it's resistence against your own body that really makes a difference. So, you really only need a broomstick for stretching, and an elastic band for that resistance part. Or nothing at all! I use nothing, and , like Yoga, you are focused, you breath, and it's very graceful, and powerful. Look into it. I love it. Makes you feel very delicate and powerful at the same time.

Ruby: i"d kill for a measured trail... everything's paved around here. ANd ya goota grive out to a park somewhere.. and you know how lazy we get... if it's not right here, it's too far (in my opinion)

I"m geared up for a good day. I worked my butt off last night, and boy were my legs achey when I hit the hay. But, I feel strong. Tonight, I need to take that long walk again. IT's funny, but we bought this house (townhouse), knowing that we'd be winded going up and down these stairs all the time. Now, it's exersise, and I"m not winded...
Old 10-22-2002, 02:14 PM   #11  

Hi All,
Well I made it past Monday, so that's a good thing. Oh I can indentify with feeling like a slug yesterday. I did fine and was busy earlier in the day until about 4pm then I just hit a Monday wall. Unfortunately there was no time to get out to the nature trail so I just stuck with the neighborhood. I planned on walking around 7 but took a mini nap instead and finally dragged my feet out around 8. I started feeling semi comatose but ended feeling pretty good-so I am very glad I forced myself. I just know if I don't get out there everyday I'll get discouraged,that's just how I am.
Pilates sounds great. Maybe I'll look into some tapes. The only thing I worry about is that because I'm big I might not be able to handle some of the moves. I tried my sisters yoga tape once and fell all over myself for the better part of it! I may not be so graceful-yet. If you have any recommendations that would be great.
Well I think I'll head out now and check back in with you guys later. Race hope you have a great walking day. Svelte great job with your aerobics, is that a class? I'm too much of a scaredy cat to do classes! One day I'll get there .

Walk On! (but hopefully not in circles like this guy)hahaha
Old 10-22-2002, 06:18 PM   #12  
Finally Fit!

Love all the little critters you guys put in your mesages! They always make me smile. Um, Pilates is pretty good for anyone, and you do what you can. I"m definitely not a gymnast, and I really felt like i was working myself.

The aerobics class I go to is with the Parks and Rec of my town. There's women of all shapes and sizes there, so I feel pretty comfortable. You never feel like youre being looked at while you jiggle and stuff. After a few classes, you feel like family, and you laugh off the rest. First time doing a class, and I really like the feeling that you're not alone, and people miss you when you skip.

I"ve really felt lowsy today, even typing make sme tired.. ot that you could tell from this! I'm just achey, ad exhausted all around. Hubby's at the hospital, and I"m , I think, reacting from that. It's very stressful on us. We're coping best we can. Well, I'm off to crash. Hope you girls had more energy than me today!
Old 10-23-2002, 01:53 PM   #13  

Hi,
Svelte I'm sorry to hear you and your hubby are having such a rough time. Hang in there and stay strong. I know how draining chemo can be for everyone. I went through it with a family member just last year. Make sure you get plenty of rest, I hope you took a big ole nap (or two) yesterday. Here's a little guardian angel critter for ya

Well on a smaller note, I felt pretty energetic yesterday so I ended up getting some more walking in than usual. No time to start the weight training, so I think doing at least one session will be my mini goal for the week. I'm pretty interested in pilates/yoga now, I think I'll eventually find some good videos. I'll probably be able to modify the moves for myself-just like any other exercise video I've done.
I should mention I'm already noticing some of the positive effects of walking. I fall asleep easier and am waking up earlier. My energy is slowly building everyday. I also noticed I'm not getting as upset with things as usual. I'm calmer. This is only 2 weeks of walking so I'm excited to see what's to come. Well that's all I have for now.

Take Care everyone
Old 10-23-2002, 02:10 PM   #14  
Finally Fit!

Thank You for all your support, about walkig,a nd the side note of my sick hubby. They tend to meld into one big depressive episode sometimes. He's home now, and will spend the whole day in bed... recuperating.

I cheated today at work, wiht nuggets, tator tots (check my journal -- it's funny)... I feel like a dirty, greasy, sluggette. But, I know that I"m okay, and i"ll workout tonight... try not to get weepy about it.

Ruby: I know what you mean about feeling the difference when you walk for a while. I have more energy, sleep deeper, and feel and look better. Keep it up. I swear, even when I cheat, I look good!
Old 10-23-2002, 05:19 PM   #15  

Pilates sounds really good. I've heard that it's the only thing that will cause our loose skin and apron tummies to tighten back up as we lose the weight. Broomsticks and elastic bands are easy to find...I have both already, just waiting to be dusted off! Bahaha! I'll have to go hunting for a tape. Svelte is right, Ruby. You just taylor the exercises to suit you. Remember how when you were a kid, your parents would talk about your new shoes and clothes having room to grow into? Think of Pilates as exercise you can shrink into! Bwahaha!

I did go walking yesterday. I'm a little anxious that I'm not getting much distance or time, but I'm sticking with the deal I made with myself. For now it's consistency only, and I'm not going to get discouraged because I'm not tackling it all at once. Maybe next week I can begin to put more effort into time/distance. I just have to make sure, above all, that I don't quit for any reason.

I'm in Flowida...that's d'rectly South of Gawgia. Bwahaha! Hot!

It's very encouraging to me to hear that you guys are feeling the effects on your sleep. I'm not yet, b-u-t, I tend toward depression at the end of the year. It was starting to kick in, but has lifted significantly. So I'm also glad to say that the payoffs begin. Woohoo! Just think how much better we'll handle life when our bodies are lean, mean, functioning machines!

Let's keep it going, ladies, we'll get there yet!
Closed Thread