South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #1  
Eating less, moving more

S/C/G: 245/238/165

Height: 5'5"

Default Doing the South Beach Diet when your spouse needs to gain...

I'm new here, and was wondering if anyone here had ideas for me in my situation. I'm married (happily so!) and my husband is on the lean side and could actually stand to gain some weight.

I really don't want to be fixing two separate meals everyday, so I was thinking I could supplement what I'm planning to make for myself with foods that would help him gain, or at the minimum, maintain.

I was thinking of adding whole grain toast with butter to his breakfast, protein bars for his snacks, and whole grains with sauces to his lunches and dinners. I also make whole dairy products available to him.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm also open to any suggestions I want my sweetie to be healthy, too.
HisSweetGypsyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:00 PM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

I'm in the same boat. DH is trying desperately to weight 200#.

The good thing about this diet is that it is filled with really healthy food! For DH, I add more of it plus grains at every meal. He usually takes a high calorie protein shake twice a day as well (1600 cals. total)

If his metabolism is anything like my DH's, he will need tremendous amounts of caories to gain. For DH to gain, he takes in at least 3000 cals per day and usually closer to 3700. If you do get protein bars - get high calorie bars with a good amount of protein/carbs and low sugar. We go through a LOT of Detour brand bars.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, HisSweetGypsyRose! I love your username, BTW.

You shouldn't have any problems keeping your husband well fed and satisfied without having to make two separate meals. Make your normal SBD friendly foods, adding an extra helping of potatoes, pasta or other grain for your DH, and offer him whole wheat bread or a roll with his meal. You'll find this way of eating is very adaptable to everyone.

Good luck, and we hope to see you around often!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I'm in the same situation. I fix my foods that we both eat and then make sure to have more starches for him. I try to get him to eat brown rice as often as he will, but sometimes he stages a revolt and refuses to eat anything brown/whole grain for a couple days. You really shouldn't have any problems.
Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #5  
Eating less, moving more

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll definitely make his servings larger. He has no problem at all with whole grains, I'm happy about that It means no problems keeping white flour/processed grains out of the house.

I'm fortunate to have a very supportive husband, and also one who will eat almost anything :P
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

An example of our meals:

I just made the Chicken Cheesesteak Saute (from the Phase 1 entree section - it is awesome) and wilted spinach with garlic. I added whole grain rolls and brown rice pilaf for DH and DS1. I usually make a big batch of the pilaf and freeze individual portions. Reheating the rice and baking the rolls doesn't add but a minute or two to meal prep.

For lunch today I made tuna salad - I had mine on cucumber "coins" while they had theirs in ww pitas. We all had red peppers and celery with hummus and grapes on the side.

Breakfast was pancakes - the ricotta pancake mix doesn't take long at all to make and while I already have the griddle out and heated, might as well make some. I make just enough for me and make regular whole wheat and nut pancakes for the boys. I don't feel left out of the pancake goodness!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #7  
Eating less, moving more

Hi Zeffryn

Those sound like good meals, very easy and doable. It's good to see that it won't be difficult to feed the two of us while I'm doing phase 1.

I'll have to try those ricotta pancakes. They should delicious!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #8  
Eating less, moving more

I just wanted to share that I am so amazingly blessed with an easygoing husband who has no problem with eating what I'll be eating as I follow this journey

I've read in other topics how difficult it can be when your family isn't supportive or is still eating unhealthy food, and I had to go give my sweetie a huge hug. I sure do love him!

I am going to have to try that chicken cheesesteak saute...it sounds great.