Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

Default Exercise? Really?

I changed my eating lifestyle almost 2 months ago. Since then I have lost about 15 lbs.

I eat 1460 - 1500 calories (I weigh, I measure, I am exact) daily.

The weightloss has stopped.

So today I woke up thinking I need to start exercising. Ugh.

Could anyone give me some ideas that do not include a gym? Where do I start? How much should I do? How do I make myself do it?

How do you keep yourself motivated?
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/169/145

Height: 5'5

You could start with taking daily walks. Do you have any equipment at home? Small weights, exercise ball, bands, anything? Or DVD's/Games such as Wii Fit?

I personally would start with daily walks. If you don't have any equipment I'd look into getting some. You can get a band for a couple dollars, an exercise ball for $10ish. A set of small weights for $10ish. If you don't use sparkpeople.com you could check out that. You can put in what equipment you have & they will give you a bunch of exercise you can do with that equipment with videos to show you exactly how to do it.

As for making yourself do it....how bad do you want to lose the weight? Don't let yourself use any excuses. "I'm too tired to workout." - Working out wakes you up. "I'll do it later." -You probably won't. "I don't have time." - Make time.
vertigoskyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Ideas that do not include a gym:
Walking
Bouncing on an inexpensive rebounder in front of the TV
Any number of exercise videos

Where to start/How Much to Do:
Where and what you can! When I started on a rebounder, I could go 10 min at a time. So I said I'd do that twice a day. Then it was 15 min...before long, I could go through a whole TV program bouncing away, then an hour at a stretch. After that, I was ready to do more challenging things. Work your way up and you'll get there. Walking around the block is good - soon you'll be walking around it twice, then going for longer walks, then maybe throwing in some sprint intervals, etc. Leslie Sansone has "Walk Away the Pounds" videos for in-home walking...maybe you start with her "1 mile", then 2, then 3...etc.

How to make yourself do it:
Commit to a schedule for three weeks. For those three weeks, do what you've planned, no matter what it is. Reward yourself regularly with rewards that will encourage you to keep going (new gear, some resistance bands to add in strength training, new songs for an MP3 player, etc). By that point, exercising will have become a habit, and it won't be nearly so hard to stay committed. And the motivation gets easier too, because you start realizing that exercise makes you feel good (really!)

I used to -despise- exercise. I am now completely and totally addicted to movement. It's possible!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #4  
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Put two 10 lbs sacks of flour in two shopping plastic bags. Use for arm exercises.

Push-ups on your bathroom vanity, frontwards and backwards.

Sit-ups, crunches on your floor.

If you have cable, OnDemand has free exercise videos.

Walk an hour every day. Work up to doing hills. Stride briskly. Aim for 3-4 miles per hour, or if you have a pedometer, about 6,000 steps.

Rent a pilates video. Rent a yoga video. No equipment needed!

Exercise really is going to help and better yet, it makes you feel good. So get those endorphins going and have some fun.
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:34 PM   #5  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Like the ladies above said, just start walking. That's good enough for right now, just walk outside for 30 min or 15min. Just think back to when you were a kid. What did you like doing? Hopscotch? Jumprope? Shooting hoops? Softball? Soccer? All of that is exercise without going to a gym.

I stay motivated because I am tired of being fat. When the motivation runs out and it does, I think about the commitment I made to myself. I am committed to doing this no matter how hard. I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines of my life while everyone else is having a good time. That's what does it for me. Oh and I have a kick butt music list on my MP3 player that I never leave home without. I couldn't get thru my workouts without it.

Motivation will get you started, commitment will get you to the finish line.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #6  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for asking this question Razorecandy, i was wondering the same thing! I ordered 30 Day Shred from the internet yesterday and it was 15$ so that could be an idea for you too (videos).

Thank you for all the other suggestions everyone!
Can't wait to start now, we can do it!!!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #7  

When I added exercise I specifically chose stuff that didn't require the 'gym'. It seems getting to the gym, not getting to the gym, paying the money etc. can get in the way of getting an exercise habit.

I have a bunch of exercise videos. I ran up and down my stairs. I downloaded some workout music from I-Tunes, put it on and danced like a fool until I was sweating and out of breath.

I later joined a gym but for the first little while I just needed to remember that the only 'tool' really needed to work out is a body.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

Walking is an amazingly good calorie burner. Really anything at all where you're moving instead of sitting is great. I spent three hours building something in the garage yesterday (standing at the workbench, carrying lumber back and forth, drilling big pieces together), and even though I never felt like I was "exercising", the whole time I was burning between 3x and 4x the number of calories I burn when I'm sitting on the couch. That adds up! Obviously higher-intensity stuff like running or taking an aerobics class is better if you're low on time, but if you can work "standing up and moving" into a big chunk of your daily schedule, you can get quite a bit of "exercise" without having to go to the gym.
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Ideas that do not include a gym:
Walking
Bouncing on an inexpensive rebounder in front of the TVAny number of exercise videos

Where to start/How Much to Do:
Where and what you can! When I started on a rebounder, I could go 10 min at a time. So I said I'd do that twice a day. Then it was 15 min...before long, I could go through a whole TV program bouncing away, then an hour at a stretch. After that, I was ready to do more challenging things. Work your way up and you'll get there. Walking around the block is good - soon you'll be walking around it twice, then going for longer walks, then maybe throwing in some sprint intervals, etc. Leslie Sansone has "Walk Away the Pounds" videos for in-home walking...maybe you start with her "1 mile", then 2, then 3...etc.

How to make yourself do it:
Commit to a schedule for three weeks. For those three weeks, do what you've planned, no matter what it is. Reward yourself regularly with rewards that will encourage you to keep going (new gear, some resistance bands to add in strength training, new songs for an MP3 player, etc). By that point, exercising will have become a habit, and it won't be nearly so hard to stay committed. And the motivation gets easier too, because you start realizing that exercise makes you feel good (really!)

I used to -despise- exercise. I am now completely and totally addicted to movement. It's possible!

Do you mean one of those ball thingies? I saw them the other day at a Sporting Goods store. Which one do I buy and what other names do they go by? I looked at the packaging and it looked like people used them to do crunches and different movements. Can I just sit on it and bounce??
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 PM   #10  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Definitely hit the weights. You'll lose less muscle mass along the way if you lift (and lift heavy). Doing so will also keep your metabolism revved up... remember, muscle burns fat!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'll bet she means one of those mini-trampolines.

I do want one of the balls though. I'm just not sure how much of a difference it makes which size you get.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-22-2009 at 05:39 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #12  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - a mini trampoline. When I was so heavy and with my bad knees, it was really good for getting the blood flowing without impacting my joints too badly.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #13  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Some of the balls are based on your height depending on where you go. There are a lot of exercises that you can do on those things, I love mine. I do pushups, situps, squats, back extension and something called pass off, its cool. It really works your abs. So, there are a lot of things you can do without going to the gym.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #14  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorcandy View Post
How do you keep yourself motivated?
There's really not anything you can do to be sure you stay motivated. The truth is that motivation comes and goes, it's the commitment that keeps you going!

So just get out there and start. When I first started exercising I simply did power walking. Sometimes I was only out there for 20 minutes, other times I'd be out for over an hour (there's a perfect example of my motivation waxing and waning) but I kept at it. I lost 40 lbs. by walking (and calorie counting) then I really started getting into the exercise part and I started running and then I got a gym memberships and started to hit the weights (which is my favorite!). It'll grow on you, I promise! Exercise just makes you feel so fantastic!

Other things besides walking that can be a good workout that you don't have to go to the gym for - biking, boating or swimming, playing frisbee, mowing the lawn (if you have a push mower), tennis, house cleaning (believe it or not!), hiking, basically you just need to get up and moving, you don't have to be sweating and puffing and feeling like you're going to die, just get your body active and soon you'll be craving more!
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I definitely recommend walking. If you have an ipod or a walkman so that you can listen to tunes or an audio book, it will make it go by quickly, and you will feel so good about getting out there and moving! Like you, I am not an exercise fan, but I now make myself exercise, because I know it's important. Another thing you can do is put on some music and just dance around your house like you're in a club!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote