Old 05-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #1  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Default How much sodium should you take in per day?

I have been looking around and googling this and there are so many different answers out there.. i was wondering what you all work towards as far as your sodium intake per day?

Thanks all for the help
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:42 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think for the average adult it's 2400 mg sodium. That's the number I try to stay below- days I don't eat out I easily make that number- but the days I eat out it's over lol. I mean just a 6 inch subway sandwhich has 1000 mg of sodium! I think 800 comes from the bread alone! *sigh*

I think if you make the effort to try to get 2400 or less than that's a good start
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #3  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Is it bad that I don't pay attention to sodium? I don't add salt to anything, use low-sodium broth/products whenever possible, hardly eat out and try to stay away from the packaged meals, but I don't really track it.

Is there a minimum you need per day?
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I googled the min you should eat is 1000 mg. But you'd be surprised how much salt stuff has naturally. On a good day I get in like 1800 mgs.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:02 PM   #5  
Dreams of a RED DRESS...

S/C/G: 305/293.7/165

Height: 5 foot 6

If you use SparkPeople you can track your sodium intake as well as many other nutrients and it gives you a guidline there to about how much you should have a day... It says 0 - 2,300. The least you have of salt the better I think since there is no way to avoid it completely but about 1,500 should be a good area to be in I think...
Arthwen1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:07 PM   #6  

I was wondering this same thing a few weeks ago. I don't know why I didn't just ask but anyways I never found a good answer.

I did stop eating as much frozen dinners and processed foods. I also cut out all the fast food meals like BK salads, various grilled chicken sandwiches, and even Subway. I also committed to 64 oz of water a day.

I'm still not tracking my sodium but I know these changes have made a HUGE difference in my weight loss. I've steadily been losing 2 lbs a week since I made these changes and I'm pretty sure its because I'm not taking in nearly as much sodium as before.
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #7  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by kswood87 View Post
I've steadily been losing 2 lbs a week since I made these changes and I'm pretty sure its because I'm not taking in nearly as much sodium as before.
What have you been eating instead? Mostly likely you've lost weight due to fewer calories, or just water weight - less sodium =/= weight loss. Not that it's not good to cut back - but it probably didn't affect your weight.

How much? Here's the problem: it varies tremendously. Sweating alot because it's hot or you're perspiring? You need more. Drinking and urinating alot? You might be upsetting your electrolyte balance. I just try to keep away from processed foods and limit anything really high in sodium, such as saurkrapt.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Goddess View Post
What have you been eating instead? Mostly likely you've lost weight due to fewer calories, or just water weight - less sodium =/= weight loss. Not that it's not good to cut back - but it probably didn't affect your weight.
Actually I haven't been consuming less calories. I still track my calories daily as I did before and I eat the same if not more on some days. I switched to eating more chicken, turkey, and fish with frozen veggies or salads. Also more fruits. I didn't think you could continuously lose water weight after about a month??
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #9  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

Thanks all for the answers. I appreciate it.. I am also wondering, if i take in more Sodium then i should is it a good idea to take in more water that day then?? I am just asking so i know what is the best thing to do when i go over the amount i should have..
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote