Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Default Super Low Calorie, Low Sodium, Low Carb! (YUMMY TOO)

I will admit I was skeptical. But I am so dayumm'd excited after trying my Shirataki noodles.

For the entire bag--40 calories, 30 mg sodium, 6 carbs!

I made a stirfry with some ginger and terriyaki and put them in. WOW. For this amazing calorie count I can tell you I am stocking up on these things TODAY AND buying stock in the company! LOL. I cannot believe how good they are.

Am I missing something here? Are they not healthy for me since they are made from Tofu. I am just so impressed. I just wanted to share.

Oh, and tonight I am SOOOO making Italian with these crazy things--lasagna I think--with turkey meat, tomato sauce, lowfat ricotta. Gosh, I am drooling already.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #2  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

gross, gross, gross. I got some and the texture is what did it for me. It was like trying to eat worms. Glad you like them....
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I'm so jealous that you like them. Soy products probably should be eaten in moderation (like everything else) but I'm not of the camp that believes soy is bad.. so, yep, those noodles are a great choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post
gross, gross, gross. I got some and the texture is what did it for me. It was like trying to eat worms. Glad you like them....
Worms.. haha.. good description! I'm generally very hyposensitive -- textures/smells/tastes/noises/etc rarely bother me, I can eat nearly anything... but I couldn't get more than a few bites down before they sorta made me gag.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Rinsing them and even boiling them a bit seems to help the worminess. I love them but just cannot get them in this part of the country unless I order them online and then they are expensive plus shipping.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #5  

I love these suckers! I eat them very often. If you go to hungry-girl.com she has lots of recipes using these things.

I use them mostly in stir fries but have tried the fettucine alfredo as well as having them italian with meat sauce and parm. Quite good. Not just like apsta, butfor me and only 40 calories. I can make it work!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #6  

I very much enjoyed them and didn't find them wormy in the least. They were excellent--maybe the brands vary but mine were top notch. I rinsed mine many, many times and then stir fried for a couple of minutes. They will definitely be a staple in my home from now on.

Linda--yes, yes, yes--exactly. Wow! I see you are close to goal! Yay for you!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

They are alright but I much prefer kelp noodles which have 6 calories per serving. Kelp noodles are hard to find in the stores though.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #8  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the info. I am absolutely going to look for them... they sound right up my alley!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #9  

Hi Nelie--we have wonderful stores here but I have absolutely NO luck finding the kelp anywhere!
Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

I could never find these. I just made the HG recipes with whole wheat pasta. I wouldn't mind trying them if I came across them though. Pasta doesn't scare me much, I just have to be very careful about how much I eat lol.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 420/190/190

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I will admit I was skeptical. But I am so dayumm'd excited after trying my Shirataki noodles.

For the entire bag--40 calories, 30 mg sodium, 6 carbs!

I made a stirfry with some ginger and terriyaki and put them in. WOW. For this amazing calorie count I can tell you I am stocking up on these things TODAY AND buying stock in the company! LOL. I cannot believe how good they are.

Am I missing something here? Are they not healthy for me since they are made from Tofu. I am just so impressed. I just wanted to share.

Oh, and tonight I am SOOOO making Italian with these crazy things--lasagna I think--with turkey meat, tomato sauce, lowfat ricotta. Gosh, I am drooling already.
I would classify them as healthy not because of nutrient value but merely for the fiber and "filling" benefit. These noodles most likely contain very little soy and are mostly glucomannan. You may have also heard of glucomannan referred to as konnyaku. Konnyaku itself is an awesome substitute for corn starch, albeit a bit harder to work with. Google "konnyaku" and you can learn a ton about this product and it's benefits.
in need of solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Ignorant question - I have looked for Shirataki noodles and can't find them. Should they be in a regular grocery store? What area of the store?

Thanks!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've seen shirataki noodles in very few regular stores but Whole Foods carries them and asian markets will sometimes carry them. They need to be refrigerated. In Whole Foods, they are near the tofu.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
Ignorant question - I have looked for Shirataki noodles and can't find them. Should they be in a regular grocery store? What area of the store?

Thanks!
If you have a Safeway or a Lucky store near you, I've seen them at both places.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I can't find those noodles around my area either. I don't really like ordering food online..shipping, waiting to get it, not being able to just go out and get it just doesn't feel convenient.

The kelp noodles sound interesting, I like seaweed vegetables.

Another thing I've been trying to use for pasta/noodles is spaghetti squash... I'm on my second one, still experimenting with cooking it for the right texture. I made a pesto sauce with some leftover basil and tried it on the squash and it was really good. Then I tried some marinara sauce and chicken parmigiana, and that was good too. I'm starting to like the slightly sweet taste of the squash. AND it counts as a vegetable =D
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote