Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Ugh: managing life

I thought I was ready to get off my meds, so I had my doctor halve my dosage of Wellbutrin. I've never been super organized or on top of things, but I seem to be having more trouble than usual functioning. My eating is bad, bad. I'm having trouble with simple things like hygiene and bills. I'm really tired. We just moved and are up to our ears in boxes. It's all really getting to me. I wish I could just pull it together and get all my ducks in a row. I didn't have my ducks in a row when I was on full dosage, but it didn't bother me as much.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

It sounds like you are just overwhelmed with the move and all that involves.I can't help with the depression and medication but I do know about moving. I am not good at it and it becomes quite chaotic and overwhelmkmg. So many boxes to unpack , , where to put everything, and the weariness of it all. Take care of one thing at a time, such as eating properly and getting enough rest, taking care of hygiene and finances. Do not try to do it all at once.

Last edited by bargoo; 05-20-2009 at 09:27 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Moving, weight loss, life ... it's overwhelming. Don't feel bad or that you have to have everything organized.

Do what you need to feel a little better - make sure you have enough clothes and can find what you need to find - other than that I wouldn't put too much pressure on yourself. You'll get there, but moving is a huge change.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/239/160

I do want to sound obvious but it seems like you are pretty depressed. When I am at a low point I stop showering and brushing my teeth. Plus you have the anxiety of the move and all the resulting changes in your life. Perhaps this is not the best time to get off of your meds or reduce them. If Welbutrin is no longer helpful, maybe a different anti-depressant is an alternative.
CatWuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #5  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

I DO KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!

Last edited by Tracy; 05-24-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 311/285.2/135

Height: 5'8"

It is great to reduce your meds when possible. When I got pregnant unexpectedly, my psychiatrist took me off everything. I was on some heavy stuff too. I lost the baby in March. Since I won't use birth control, now he only has me on Wellbutrin. I started at 100 mg, but was having these strange feelings of impending doom that then triggered anxiety that usually required meds (ativan). He moved me to 150 mg and I've been there for a couple of months and doing pretty well (though my husband is obsessive about keeping my life as stress free as possible to keep me from needing heavier meds again.)

Is it possible to find a dose that is lower than what you were taking and higher than what you have now? It would be an improvement that way, but might take care of the symptoms. I just wanted you to know that it was amazing what a 50mg change in dosage did for me.
Qualera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:40 AM   #7  
Pudgy male kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpossible View Post
I thought I was ready to get off my meds, so I had my doctor halve my dosage of Wellbutrin. I've never been super organized or on top of things, but I seem to be having more trouble than usual functioning. My eating is bad, bad. I'm having trouble with simple things like hygiene and bills. I'm really tired. We just moved and are up to our ears in boxes. It's all really getting to me. I wish I could just pull it together and get all my ducks in a row. I didn't have my ducks in a row when I was on full dosage, but it didn't bother me as much.
While getting off medication is certainly an admirable goal, and life is always throwing something at you, now may not be the time to deal with the change in medication, unless you feel it is no longer effective for you.

If it is something you can manage better on the full dosage, return to it and concentrate on the other things, then revisit the reduction when you are in a better position to do so. Mental health and stability is the highest priority since everything else is usually reliant on it. If you have difficulty managing the other aspects on the lower dosage, then you're not going to be able to get the necessary things done and you'll feel worse about them, then the cycle repeats.

In the midst of large changes in life (moving) and other aspects is never a good time to start altering your medication. Sometimes it is unavoidable, but if it is not then just delay the change to when you're in a more positive frame of mind and can better handle it. While Wellbutrin is one of the easier drugs to get off of (in terms of mood disorder medication) your body DOES notice and can place stress on the body in addition to the mental aspects.

If you go back to full dosage, there are things you can do which make the transition easier next time you reduce. Mostly, diet (not dieting) can be important. I believe things such as processed foods can contribute to mood imbalances making things harder all-together. Sadly, in today's lifestyle, such foods make things so much easier and time saving. Exercising is another good idea, and it can be almost anything including low impact. Just to get your limbs moving, helping to release endorphins which will help you feel better, not just chemically but a more positive attitude since it also aids in weight management.

*end babble*
Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #8  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces View Post
If you go back to full dosage, there are things you can do which make the transition easier next time you reduce. Mostly, diet (not dieting) can be important. I believe things such as processed foods can contribute to mood imbalances making things harder all-together. Sadly, in today's lifestyle, such foods make things so much easier and time saving. Exercising is another good idea, and it can be almost anything including low impact. Just to get your limbs moving, helping to release endorphins which will help you feel better, not just chemically but a more positive attitude since it also aids in weight management.

*end babble*
Yes, I think the diet and exercise are key. My cravings for junk have been off the charts. I do walk my dog every day. It's a work in progress.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:27 PM   #9  
300+ Chick

Always be faithful on taking your meds!!!! Make peace time with your self. Life is complex and need to learn coping skills. Food is not the enemy!! Emotions are. Never stop taking med unless your doctor tells you so..I am 42, dealing with depression and taking meds for life.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote