Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Default FitBit?

Anyone know about this? CNET gave it a good review. I don't think it for sale yet but I think it should be soon if it isn't
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 213/ticker/155

Height: 5'9"

I looked into this back in December when I was researching the GWF, and back then I decided it was "vaporware", it'd never actually hit the market.

Now, though, I have to say, I'm incredibly impressed by the posts on their blog! It's amazing watching them go through the manufacturing and design process, and from what I can tell, it looks like they're really putting some great thought into this product.

What I like about it, compared to the GWF, judging from their website:
* Cheaper, and no monthly fee
* Wouldn't have to wear it on my arm, which would make tanning a lot easier.
* Automatic wireless uploading!
* Much nicer website, very nice design, and what look like some really nice food tracking features, enough to give TDP a run for its money... can you really just enter "how much" of something and it figures out the calculations for you? Very cool.
* They seem to be really trying to do everything in the smartest possible way, which impresses me.

What I don't like about it, judging from their website:
* It doesn't actually exist on the market yet, and no one who's reviewed it has actually tried one.
* I'm skeptical that it will be as accurate as the GWF, given that it won't have sweat or body temp sensing, and it won't always be worn in the same place. The accelerometer technology will be the same, but how will it know if it's being worn on your collar or your hip or your sleeve? Wouldn't our motion be a lot different in different locations? A step would feel different on my neck than on my wrist or waist, wouldn't it? And can you really measure everything through motion alone? I guess it's possible, but I'm skeptical. I'd definitely want to measure it up against my armband for a few weeks to compare.

But yeah, this has me excited... I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of actual devices, and at the very least I think that food tracker might end up being even better than TDP!
jajabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:54 PM   #3  

Oh, and just to add to the motion-only concern... my armband is able to figure out "motion" versus "exercise" for me, because of the sweat and temperature sensors. If I'm moving a lot, but not actually warm or sweating, then it knows that whatever's happening, I'm probably not burning calories. Maybe I'm on a ride at the fair, or the dog is kicking my arm in her sleep, or I'm in a car. Will the FitBit be able to filter out non-exercise motion if it doesn't know whether or not you're sweating? Hmm...
Old 05-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajabee View Post
But yeah, this has me excited... I'm looking forward to seeing reviews of actual devices, and at the very least I think that food tracker might end up being even better than TDP!
Hi! What is TDP?

I was really excited about buying a GoWear Fit, but I think I'll wait a little while. I live in Florida, and really don't want to wear something on my arm all the time if I don't have to.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #5  

Oh sorry! TDP is "The Daily Plate", http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate .
Old 05-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #6  

They have a shipping date! July 27th. Also lots of interesting info on how they're getting it manufactured:

http://blog.fitbit.com/?p=85

Last edited by jajabee; 05-19-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

WOW, I am like seriously impressed with this company
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote