Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/226/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Hypothyroidism?

Two quick questions I thought of and any answers would be greatly appreciated..

1) My sister and father were both diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I was tested at 13 but found not to have it. At what age is hypothyroidism developed?

2) Can a person who has hypothyroidism but is not being treated by medication lose weight naturally?

Thank you in advance!
PatientlyWeighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/202.5/150...or lower...

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWeighting View Post
Two quick questions I thought of and any answers would be greatly appreciated..Thank you in advance!
1) My sister and father were both diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I was tested at 13 but found not to have it. At what age is hypothyroidism developed?

it depends on many factors. yoyo dieting, influences on your body due to nutrition, toxins, and many, many more can develop hypothyroidism. it can be developed at any age...

2) Can a person who has hypothyroidism but is not being treated by medication lose weight naturally?

it depends on how "off" you are. there seem to be ways to get around medication, especially when you are just close to being hypothyroid, and i wish i had known that when i went on. but medication seems to be the only way to get your hormonal balance back and have everything else function the best way possible.

but the best would be to go and get yourself checked by an endocrinologist.

Last edited by willow68; 05-18-2009 at 04:56 PM.
willow68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
Hypothyroidism can happen at any time, for a huge number of reasons. If there is a genetic concern and you were assessed at 13, you most likely won't have the juvenile form of this.
However, hypothyroidism can occur later in life due to autoimmune reactions (Hashimoto's), pregnancy, or as a side-effect of other medications or simply as a function of aging (like, over the age of 65 years old).
If you suspect you may be hypothyroid, you need to see a doctor for testing -- it is fairly simple and if there is a family history, you might want to get checked out because this is clearly on your mind.
Here's a good link for you on hypothyroidism:
http://bodyandhealth.canada.com/chan...ation_id=17519
PLEASE keep in mind that hypothyroidism needs to be treated, because if NOT, the symptoms WILL progress --

If hypothyroidism isn't treated, the symptoms will progress and, rarely, a severe form of hypothyroidism called myxedema will develop. With myxedema, the body temperature drops, anemia occurs, and there is a risk of congestive heart failure.

As the symptoms of hypothyroidism include weight gain, it will be hard to lose excess pounds if you have hypothyroidism which isn't treated. Here is another link on how to lose weight with hypothyroidism that is under treatment:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4730386_lose...hyroidism.html

I'm just speaking off the top of my head here, but it seems to me that you have a family history of hypothyroidism, are currently experiencing difficulty losing weight, and may be concerned that your difficulty in losing weight might be an indication that you have developed hypothyroidism ---
SO, IMHO,
Get thee to a doctor!!!!! Just get it checked out. The worst that can happen is that you will have the disease, get treated for it, and will become healthy and happy for a long time to come!!! Please see a doctor...
Let us know!
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-18-2009 at 05:02 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #4  

Thank you! I will schedule an appointment to get tested for hypothyroidism tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #5  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

I will answer these questions from my own personal experience, but YMMV.

1) My sister and father were both diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I was tested at 13 but found not to have it. At what age is hypothyroidism developed? Myself, my mother, aunt and grandmother are all on medication for hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed about 12 years ago. My thyroid had probably only worked on and off from my 20s to my late 30s when I was diagnosed. I have read that testing your thyroid through blood tests can have vastly variable results meaning that one day your thyroid appears to be working and the next it isn't. If you have a family history of hypothyroidism it's not a matter of if, but probably a matter of when you develop it. Do you have any symptoms? As others have suggested, get yourself to the doctor and get tested.

2) Can a person who has hypothyroidism but is not being treated by medication lose weight naturally? IMHO no. At the time of my diagnosis I weighed 240+ after having gained 50 lbs in 3 months. After starting medication (which can take up to 2 years to get the proper levels) I lost 65 lbs over the next 2-3 years. While my thyroid levels are good and I'm on medication for it, I don't think that it is any easier for me to lose weight. This time around, I was exercising and eating OP for 2-3 months before I started to lose weight.

Last edited by losermom; 05-18-2009 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added info
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

i was just diagnosed with hashimotos, which i guess is a kind of hypothyroidism. i've probably had it at least since college though, if not longer. but i definitely agree with the other posters here that you could develop it as an adult.
as for losing weight, also agree with another poster that it depends on the severity. at present, my thyroid is still chugging along, albeit slowly, so i'm not taking any medication for it just yet but most likely will have to later in life.
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism for about 6 years now.

My originaly symptoms were hand numbness. Once I started taking the medication that went away and I stopped gaining uncontrollably.

Get the bloodwork done and good luck!
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #8  

Hey guys! Thank you for all the feedback. I go tomorrow to get a test done to see if hypothyroidism is a gene that has been passed on to me. Fingers crossed?! Thanks a bunch!!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Any news yet??? Hope you are doing ok..

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #10  
Looking for a waist!

S/C/G: 263/248/163

Height: 5'9"

Default To all the ladies currently taking thyroid medication...

I was reading something saying that I should avoid high fiber or soy food until at least FOUR hours after taking my med because these foods can interfere with the medicine's absorption. I think it said calcium can interfere too.

Has anyone else heard this?

Does anyone else know what else I should avoid? I currently take 100 mg but my latest test still has my TSH level at 14. I take care to take it on an empty stomach in the morning and I don't eat until an hour later. I do take my ortho lo birth control pill with it though.

Thanks!
elle w 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:13 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Elle; you probably should not take your ortho pill with it. I would wait at least 4 hrs afterwards. The reason being is that the binding hormones interferes with T4.

I have never heard of the soy or fiber though. The only foods/supplements I am aware of are calcium and iron. To be on the safe side, I never take any of my supplements until at least 4 hours afterward.

Hope you get that TSH down soon And for the record, my TSH was also 14 on 100mcg. Once I got on 125mcg, it came down in the the 2's. Still wasn't a good dose for me so we added Armour and lowered the Synthroid.
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #12  

Hey everyone! Goods news and bad news. The good news: My thyroid levels turned up normal! (Hooray!!) The bad news: The fat is all my fault!! Haha. So now starts the diet to get back to a healthier me. =] I'm relieved.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 301 / 298 / 175

Height: 5'5

Congratulations! Also you can be hypo and the fat can still be your fault. I was diagnosed three years ago but I'm quick to add that my thyroid didn't make me fat...my love of all things fast food did .
AtlGirl is offline   Reply With Quote