Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

Default sleeping too much?

Ive been sleeping alot this past week. 9-11 hours and im not sure why. Over my life, i'll have periods where i'll just sleep really late, without effort, then suddenly just get small amount of sleep.
So i thought i'd look up the effects of oversleeping and came across WebMD.
I took this portion out

Quote:
Obesity. Sleeping too much could make you weigh too much, as well. One recent study showed that people who slept for nine or 10 hours every night were 21% more likely to become obese over a six-year period than were people who slept between seven and eight hours. This association between sleep and obesity remained the same even when food intake and exercise were taken into account.
This is just one, others include diabetes, death, heart disease. List goes on.

So, do you think you sleep too much?
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #2  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I am the exact opposite. I realized a long time ago that when I don't get a good night's sleep, I want to eat too much. I have seen articles that reinforce that idea. WebMD has an article on that too at http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...-much-snacking.

Maybe the lesson that we need to take from this is that we need to determine how much sleep we need and get that much, not more, not less. Hey, the same principle that we have to use with food!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I wish. I feel like I never sleep enough. I know that sleep deprivation - just being tired - leads to overeating too.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I can sleep alot, not much these days though... I've always needed more sleep, even when a teenager (maybe that explains my weight problems) I can't function well when I don't have enough sleep though.

I know you are exercising, that makes me sleep more also!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

*Could* make you weigh too much is a key word. It does not sound at all like the study indicated causation. That takes at least an interventional trial. It might have in independent effect or it might be a marker for something else that causes overweight. But I have no problem believing there's an association. There could be so many reasons like depression, maybe something to do with NEAT (those studies showing that fidgety people weigh less), personality traits, different body types. Who knows, maybe there are "energy" types too.

Me, sleeping too little or too poorly has a pretty predictable and seemingly direct effect on the scale (up). On the other hand, for me, sleeping too much is more of a marker for depression, avoidance, procrastination and not functioning well - all of which will definitely catch up to the scale, but not quite as quickly and directly as inadequate sleep.

But that's me. It wouldn't surprise me if other people have the opposite experience.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-17-2009 at 11:23 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

It's the opposite for me -- when I sleep too little, I gain a lot.

However, depression can cause people to sleep a lot (it can also cause insomnia), and depression can also lead to weight gain.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I was going to make Julie's point. The research is correlational. There IS an association, but that doesn't mean one causes the other!!

As for me, I know I don't sleep enough!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #8  
Night Shift chickie!

S/C/G: 189/159.6/150

ooooh i hope not! i sleep 8-10 hours a day easily. i work the night shift, so i dont have those nightly distractions like tv and family life to keep me up late. when i get bored, i go to sleep, and sleep i do! so far my hibernation hasnt impeded the weight loss journey. but now its a thought stuck in the back of my head. arggg.
sassybangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

I WANT to oversleep (more than 8 hours) but my body doesn't enjoy it. I get a stiff neck, and a headache if I do that lol. I usually get around 7-8 hours and then I wake up.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #10  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

During school I sleep 6 or 7 (if i'm lucky) hours a night (I'm in a uni program where I have to take around 21 credits per semester and I'm a type A overachiever so.. )
I've been off school for 2 weeks now and i sleep 10-11 hours a night like Jinksie! if not more.. I'm a bit worried cause i snooze my alarm clock at least 10 times without realizing it!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #11  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

My problem is my body wont let me sleep no more than six hours. If I get in bed early, I just wake up earlier, but I never feel deprived though.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneleh View Post
I WANT to oversleep (more than 8 hours) but my body doesn't enjoy it. I get a stiff neck, and a headache if I do that lol. I usually get around 7-8 hours and then I wake up.
I get the neck and headaches too but my body does it.

I'll remember waking up 8 hours later for maybe a whole of 2 secs, putting my head down and not waking up for another 2 hours; then still feeling like i need another 2 hours.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I get backaches and headaches from too much sleep too.

I *never* feel like I've had enough sleep. So, I just had to realize that waiting to feel like getting up was never going to happen. By noon staying in bed might feel more agonizing than getting up, but that's not the same as feeling rested and done sleeping. So, I don't rely on that signal. Kind of like not relying on your sugar cravings to tell you what's appropriate to eat
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote