Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'11"

Default Shopping for clothes, grrrrrrr!!!

So someone here on 3FC mentioned the "black hole" in clothing sizes and I can't find the post now, but I experienced it big-time today. I've been invited to the home of a friend for a wine-bottling (he's a weekend wine maker) and wine/hard cider tasting tomorrow. I thought it would be fun to have a new top to wear, so off to town I went.

Gahhhhhh!!!!! I'm very busty but my shoulders and waist are not proportionately huge. So normal "Ladies' " sizes that go up to XL are generally fine through the shoulders and middle, but skin-tight over the girls. I don't mean sexy snug, I mean REALLY tight. Scary tight. I thought maybe today I'd find something, because sometimes I can and hey, I've lost 24 pounds, right? Nope. Everything was TIGHT. So I went back to the women's department where the tops are all HUGE, baggy tents. Nothing fitted or fun, except for one cute t-shirt with a peace sign on the front that was a definite contender. Nope. The neck gaped and it was so long it covered my entire rear end. It did fit through the bust, but was too big everywhere else (size 0x).

I ended up finding a few basic colored, v-neck tshirts at JCPenney and I'll just wear one of those. It's nothing fancy, but it'll do. It's too bad; I started out the day feeling so good. I had to find smaller undies in my drawer, my jeans are too big (but the next size down? WAY too tight, same style and brand), my hair looked good. By the time I got done, I just felt like a fat, middle-aged mom who was kidding herself into thinking that she'll ever really be in a smaller size or ever really look too much better.

It's depressing. I don't like how I started the day feeling happy and positive and ended feeling fat and old and bummed out that there is nothing in this town that fits. And I'm tired of lugging these huge jugs around--when are they going to get smaller so I can buy a stupid shirt??!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:24 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

It WILL happen, and once it starts, it will happen quickly. Really! I promise! Even the "girls" will shrink into normal size clothing.

In the mean time - work with what you have, accessorize in funky ways so that you feel better about your wardrobe.

I had several pants "black holes" on my journey - there were periods when I wore nothing but skirts because I couldn't abide my saggy baggies and the next smaller size was - well - NOT flattering, to say the least.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

The jeans thing is VERY perplexing to me. My current jeans are hanging; I have to wear a belt with them and they get all baggy and saggy within a few minutes of putting them on. The next size down, same brand, same style, same EVERYTHING, is skin-tight. Not just a little tight, but oh-my-gosh-i-cannot-breathe tight.

I did finally move down to my old (smaller bras). Yeah. 38G to a 36G. Big deal, LOL. I know that a G on a 36 is smaller than a G on a 38, but come on! Can I please have a D or something, just for once in my life?
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 249/228/165

Height: 5'9"

i'm really sorry.

i hate it too.

i mean hate it.

but you know what?

very very few people's clothes fit them properly. it's not just bigger people. it's a consequence of the mass production of clothing. it's awful, but we keep buying it because tailoring is so far out of reach for most people.

it'll get better, but i understand intimately how you feel right now.

blargh eh?

isolde
stillclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

We have a store called Bravissimo in the UK that caters for those with ample boobs. They do three fittings curvy, really curvy and super curvy in clothing. They do mail order but you might find it expensive to get things sent to you. Their tops are great though.

Can't help you out with the pants 'black hole' though as I'm in one at the moment. All my 14s need belts and from the back I have the 'elephant bum' look but 12s are just too snug to be decent. Anyone know where I can get pants to fit a 31" waist but a 43" hip?

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I wear a lot of jackets ... blazers. If I find one that fits ... it gets worn out. With any colour blouse, tshirt, tank. I'm getting into beaded necklaces too.

Interim clothing, I call it. Sooner or later a tshirt and skirt will be fine for church but just now ... I need something that skims my lumpy middle.

Can you get that one tailored? Nip up the shoulders and shortened. I've been amazed by what my local seamstress can do.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Windchime - there is hope for the "girls". Once I reached goal, they FINALLY shrunk down to a "D". Of course much of that is saggy, baggy SKIN

It will happen! Patience, Grasshopper!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #8  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Windchime,
I feel your pain! On a recent trip to find a new pair of capris, I tried on over 25 pairs! It was very depressing because I was so pumped about my success and wanted to treat myself to something new. I ended up feeling horrible, not to mention I'm sure I was ticking off the dressing room attendant who had to put all of them back! Be patient, keep doing what you are doing, things will get better!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #9  
())crayon))

S/C/G: 240/see tracker/140

Height: 5'6

I am struggling to get by with clothes at the moment, I had a pretty ample wardrobe when I was bigger, lots of smaller things that I didn't want to throw away because I liked them which meant as I lost weight I could wear them.

I threw out everything smaller than a UK16 and now I'm a 14 I've had to go and buy new basics and jeans being the main thing as I tend to live in them! I buy my Skinny Flares from GAP, got them in a 16 in Easter, and I went to buy them in a 14 a week ago and they are a little too small but my old ones are HUGE...so hard!

It also doesn't help that I have big thighs, a flat bum and a big stomach!
iamacrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

While my top size has shrunk from a 5X to a 1-2X... my boobs are STILL a 42 FF. STILL. I've gone from a 48 FF to a 42. That's it. I feel ya on finding clothes to fit these puppies.

I joke that I'm a 42 long. lol!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #11  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
Ms Windchime, don't feel like crap. I too lug around some ample "ladies" with me and it gets SO frustrating because I'm only 1 cup size smaller than when I started. But overall I'm down from a 20/22 to a size 14/16. In the pant. I can't find anything for my top, so I settle for ANYTHING without buttons. I'm sick of the buttons straining and popping open. Not that DH minds, but I digress...
You'll have a great time with your friend, and you ARE smaller, and eventually, it will all even out. And to think there are people who want to get breast enlargements from a C to a DDD!!! Oy!!!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/160

Height: 5'11

psh i know how you feel. i went to try and find a swimsuit today. HAH. what a joke. ive been thinking that i look really good lately and so i thought it might look good. please, my whole body looks like a bowl of lumpy mashed potatoes. and its impossible to find a tankini that fits my boobs right with out making them look squishy and weird. i guess no swimming for me
xpinkglowx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #13  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ms xpinkglowx2! Don't think of it this way!
You need to be in the pool. Go to a plus-size store and find a sport bathing suit. This may not be your year for the fabulous tankini (I STILL don't fit into anything for sale at Bikini Village), but 2010 WILL be the year! Or the fall of 2009!
And get yourself a fake tan. You will look like smooth mashed yams instead of like lumpy white potatoes! You'll feel amazing, and with a sleek black one-piece sport suit (Roots makes GREAT ones that I get at Addition Elle), you'll be amazing. Pair this with a shawl-type coverup tied at an angle over your hips to help disguise those "problem areas" and a FABULOUS sun hat, you'll look and feel like a million bucks.
Trust me!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Personally, I don't think designers have a clue as to what real women look like. Even at my lowest-in-my-life weight (125 lbs) I had problems finding clothing. It's always been a nightmare for me.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

a tank with a fitted top over it but unbuttoned at the bust to reveal the tank.....I can wear a medium in a button up top if I do this if not it has to be an XL to button across the girls. Sad but true.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote