Old 05-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #1  

Default Where Could I Possibly Be Going Wrong?

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, but I'm starting to get pretty anxious as I've been pretty disciplined with my diet, yet still am not achieving satisfactory results. I've posted this topic on another board as I really could use any response.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so thanks a ton in advance.

I'm not losing weight to improve my health dramatically per se, rather I would just like to better my appearance for the summer and beyond.

I am 18 years old, I weigh 150 pounds, and am 5'10.5.

After several half-assed attempts at dieting without exercise and then crash dieting, I developed a plan which I thought was pretty well thought-out, but my results apparently say otherwise.

I've calculated that I'm consuming, roughly, 1600 calories per day, 185 grams of carbohydrates, and 20 grams of total fat. I believe I'm meeting my calcium/vitamin A/potassium/vitamin D etc. levels while keeping sodium low as well.

I'll be honest in admitting that I don't know much of anything about how the body works, and although my caloric intake looks low on paper, I'm rarely, if ever, hungry.

In the morning I eat some yogurt with oatmeal, and my mid-day snack is just a banana just to keep me going. I have two meals upon arriving home, spread out between four or five hours, each consisting of a grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce, a bowl of pineapple/watermelon, a mug of herbal tea, some light lemonade, and a bottle or two of water.

I feel quite full after these meals, and I rarely have to resort to any snacks. I am able to drink 4 - 6 bottles of water per day as well.

Shortly before bed, I do 30 minutes of cardio/weight training which is followed by a glass of milk, a bottle of water, a banana, and sometimes a handful of almonds. On a good night, I get 5 hours of sleep, but i do not overeat while awake.

I've lost roughly five pounds, but in the past few weeks I've pretty much stagnated and my belly fat (non-alcoholic beer belly) remains almost totally unchanged.

I have never really looked into my protein/fat/carb percentages or anything like that as I figured that a restriction on my calories + dieting would be good enough. Maybe my metabolism isn't stimulated? Maybe I'm filling up on carbs? I really don't know.

Thanks again.
Ace06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #2  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

How long did it take to lose the five lbs? 0.5 lbs to 1lb per week loss at your weight would be low but normal, 2lbs ect would be a little extreme.

My Advice:
1) Down the calories about 100-300 and see if that helps.
2) Not sure what size your water bottle is, but you should be getting 75oz.
3) Exercise earlier in the day, not before bed.
4) Make sure you are getting enough protein, maybe reduce the carbs.
5) Try to get more sleep.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I'm a little confused -- if you are 5 ft 10.5 inches and weigh 150 lbs, your BMI is 21.2. This seems to be a healthy weight at your height. If you are concerned about body fat, I would seek the advice of a trainer and dietician and work to build muscle mass. It sounds to me that your low calorie diet and your cardio won't achieve the better body appearance that you desire. Further dieting may leave you with a "skinny fat" physique as dieting means that you are losing muscle mass and fat, leaving you further behind the 8 ball with respect to a toned and buffed body. Only weight training will allow you to lose body fat and replace it with muscle mass for the appearance you desire, and for that, you need a scheduled weight training program. I'd hit the YMCA and find out what they have to offer...
JMHO
Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-17-2009 at 02:49 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

You seem to be at a good weight for your height but I'd agree that maybe you need to have your body fat evaluated and look at doing a structured weight training program if you aren't doing one already.

I'd also be a little concerned that you are only getting 5 hours of sleep max at your age. Is there a specific reason for that?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I second everything what Kira said, you are at a pretty low weight already for your height. What's your goal weight and what size are you? I also agree with the weight training for awhile and see if that improves how your body looks.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #6  

Hi again, thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

I've never really had this problem as I previously ran for most of the year, which kept most all of the fat off my body, but stopping in the past year has caused a slight gain in weight in the range of 10 - 12 pounds.

I wouldn't say that I am looking to lose a substantial amount of weight, but as other have noted, I really just want to tone up and get rid of stomach fat. My height/weight is fine, but having never really lifted, my weight is almost entirely fat and not muscle.

Furthermore, I have an unpleasant "bulge" in my stomach, and the weight won't really come off although my neck area/legs have thinned out a bit.

I have a bowflew type machine in my house, so I can use that, but my problem is really the stomach area which is refusing to change.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my regimen worked fairly well for every other part of my body sans the belly area, so what can I do to finish off that stubborn stomach? If the advice remains weight training, then I'll look into that some more.

Thanks again for the help; any additional advice would be awesome.

Last edited by Ace06; 05-17-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well weight training can help shape your body, it can also increase your metabolism. Fat on your body though is just fat which is burnt off from a mix of cardio and weights. I'd still definitely encourage weight training.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Unfortunately, you can't target one area of your body to lose fat.
Personally, I would look into weight/sculpting types of exercises. Pilates, balance ball, resistance bands and yoga can help round out a weight routine.

Also, strange as it sounds - I do believe that there is some merit to the flat belly diet which emphasizes MUFAs (mono unsaturated fatty acids). You may not be getting enough healthy fat in your diet.

Last edited by CountingDown; 05-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Maybe the belly fat is just the last place your body loses weight from, so if you keep at it it will eventually leave. But I second what everyone else said about the weight training.
Just curious, do you eat the same thing everyday?
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #10  

As boring as is sounds, yes; I kind of fall into a routine everyday.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #11  

I agree with Kira. If you are looking to spot reduce it won't happen. Have you tried working with a personal trainer at a gym? Try the flat belly diet too that may help.
I can't imagine that you are over weight and being 18 and feeling as if you are at 150 lbs you are worries me as a mom. jmo

Last edited by BCubero; 05-18-2009 at 09:14 PM.
BCubero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #12  

I'm fully aware that I am not overweight, but I do have a stubborn bulge in my midsection which I've been hoping to tone down.

I appreciate the sentiment, though.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 AM   #13  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I suppose there's always crunches...
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCubero View Post
I agree with Kira. If you are looking to spot reduce it won't happen. Have you tried working with a personal trainer at a gym? Try the flat belly diet too that may help.
I can't imagine that you are over weight and being 18 and feeling as if you are at 150 lbs you are worries me as a mom. jmo

The flat belly diet could be something to try. You said you are on a low fat diet, maybe you need more healthy fats?

I've also read plank work like Jillian Micheal's does in her DVDs and pilates can help pull in the midsection.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #15  

If you want to lose belly fat, try upping the protein and cutting back on the carbs.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote