Old 05-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Travel with a Scale?

I am going on a few vacations this summer, which is awesome, but I am a little worried. I always gain weight on vacations, and I am trying so hard to lose! I went to CA last month and watched what I ate as best as I could (I had to eating at restaurants for every meal) and burned a lot of calories since I was walking everywhere, but I still gained!

So I am thinking about bringing my scale along with me so I can have a better idea of how I am doing during the vacation...perhaps knowing my exact weight will help motivate me to make better choices, get more activity in, etc. Has anyone else done this? I am just afraid of it getting broken. I have the WW glass scale that tells you your body fat, body water, bone mass in addition to your weight, so it was a little pricey. I am going overseas to the UK in addition to some domestic travel. I would love to hear if anyone else has done this and if you think the scale would make it in one piece. Thanks!
babes315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I've taken my scale with me when hubby and I visited my parents in IL. We took it in the car, and I didn't think about it needing protection. The first time it went great. The scale kept me motivated, and I didn't gain during the trip (which was my goal). The second trip, we hit road construction, and some pretty deep potholes, and the scale didn't survive the trip (we had just placed it on the floor of the back seat).

So, I think it's a great idea, but not risk free. Another option would be to buy a cheaper scale for the trip, so if it becomes a casualty, you're not out as much.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #3  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

It should be fine? But, like kaplods suggested I'd get a cheap scale, make a note of any difference between its measurement and take it instead because sometimes they are really rough on luggage.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/145

Thanks for the advise! I went to Bed, Bath and Beyond yesterday and found a nice basic scale for only $20, with my coupon it ended up only costing $16. It is lightweight and has a handle on it, so it should be good for travel. I weighed myself before I went to the store and made sure the scale was close to the scale I already had, so both of the scales measure me at the same weight. I hope it travels well!
babes315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #5  

I never thought to travel with my scale but that's something to consider. Hmmm.....
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #6  

If you want to save some space in your suitcase, bring along measuring tape instead. It's a pretty good indicator of whether or not you're gaining extra inches.
tbcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote