Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Thumbs down Whine, whine whine!

I just want to complain, really. It's been about three weeks or so that I've been on this diet - All vegan, really healthy, lots of fruits and veggies and healthy protein. I've been going for 5-6 mile walks 3 days a week, and shorter ones the rest of the week, and this week I've started a new strength training routine with a resistance cord (anyone ever use one?).

I feel like I got beat up – the lady in the video has me working muscles I didn't even know I had. Which is good, but MAN!!!!! And what's even worse.. I'm hardly losing any weight! I know that working your muscles can make you retain some water, but it's SO frustrating to see that scale go up such a significant amount after all your hard work. It's so hard for me to get under 200 pounds. The scale just goes down and then up and then down, over the same 5 pounds. And it doesn't help when it's TOM - I feel like I'd have to handcuff myself so I don't keep eating and eating.

And my current weight is no longer what it says on the left. It's gone back up to 210. Grrrrr.

Thanks, ladies, I just had to vent.
missgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

How frustrating! I absolutely hate my scale sometimes but I just have to remember what you obviously already know. Working out and diet changes can make you retain water, everybody loses weight at different paces... Usually it makes me feel a little better if I give it some time and ultimately, you're doing the right things, the number will go down.

Good luck! Hang in there, it's worth it.
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I'm having a similar experience right now, and I'm not even working as hard as you. Just picking up after a period of slacking. But I just keep on, because I know I'm exercising and eating well. When your body does adjust and drops the weight, it'll be awesome
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM   #4  

It's so tough to keep your head on straight and keep it going when it gets like this. My boyfriend, who I adore, eats SO MUCH FOOD. I can't understand how he could possibly shovel that much food in his face and stay at an average weight. My other roommates are skinny as twigs and they barely eat anything. It's like a horrible chore for them to remember to eat.

If only....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 97/78/65 - 214/172/143

Height: 168cm - 5'6

I totally get it. I live with my sister and her fiance at the moment - and they eat unbelievable amounts! So much! He excersises a lot, but she does nothing, eats chips and chocolate and still weighs about 130 - 135. Sometimes it feels like a tragedy on a grand scale - but all it really means is that I just have to keep my head down and keep going.
Were you a vegan before you started this diet? maybe your body is still figuring out how to cope with a change of diet and excersise. If that's the case I'm sure it will start to click into place soon.
merose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #6  
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Just be sure you are drinking a TON of water, especially with all your exercise. You don't want your body dehydrated because then it will retain water. You might also really check out how much sodium you're having...it's cleverly hidden in quite a few foods. Also, take a look at which fruits and veggies you're eating, and what sort of protein. Leafy greens, red and orange veggies, and fruits like kiwi, bananas, etc are best...high in nutrition, high in fiber. Your protein should be lean...beans, fish, a little white meat chicken. Have you checked out the 100 healthiest foods in the world list? Do a Google search and you'll find it. The founder is out there selling something, but the list is legit and a great one to follow.
Don't be discouraged...think about how much you're doing to change your life...it's a tall order and a lot to do at one time. Make sure you don't overpower yourself with unrealistic expectations and then dump the whole thing. Think about one day at a time, one changed behavior at a time. Whether you diet or not, a year will go by...ask yourself if you want to be fat or thin at the end of that year.
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #7  

I've been vegetarian for 7 years and I was vegan a few years ago. I had lost 70 pounds doing this and it was incredible. I weighed 240 when I started that, and for a fleeting moment, got down to 170, which was my lowest weight since fifth grade. I started steadily gaining the weight back once I learned how to bake like a champ, and then I went to Europe last summer and fell completely off the wagon (France, cheese....) Ever since I've been piling it back on and finally stopped at 215.

But it's pretty easy for me to start out as a vegan again. I know all the tricks and I understand where I went wrong the last time. I tend to copy the eating habits of my significant other... which is SO wrong. But we've been quite in love for the last year and a half, and somehow that translates into happy-love-binges. Sigh.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Smith View Post
Think about one day at a time, one changed behavior at a time. Whether you diet or not, a year will go by...ask yourself if you want to be fat or thin at the end of that year.
That's perfect thinking, thank you
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #9  
Junior chick

Oh, but I feel your pain...French cheese. Oooooooo.....
Old 05-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #10  

mmmm... France... cheese... I've been a few times and live on chevre and baguettes, putting on an average of 10lb each time! and French women are so slim!
Sorry, off topic, but I can't read the words France and cheese without salivating.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #11  

Hahaha, one of my fondest memories is eating a fresh baguette and a big hunk of brie on Montmarte, looking down at Paris. Oh man. And the croissants!!!!!!!!! OH! When I'm old and on my deathbed I'm going to eat those until I give myself a heart attack, and I'll die with greasy hands and a big smile.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #12  

Ohmygod. Stop it.
I'm going now to eat a rice cake and pretend it's pain au chocolat.
Then pretend my stir-fry for dinner is garlic butter escargot and a smoked salmon and blue cheese pasta.
I could go on about food for hours. HOURS. Must stop.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #13  

I know, haha, this has turned into a terrible thread.
Thanks for the advice/support. At least I'm in a better mood
Steel cut oats! Woo hoooooo!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #14  
Junior chick

You both are SO making me laugh my a&& off! That's the deal I've made with myself. When I'm 85 years old, I'm going to eat what I want when I want, and I may even pick up a cigarette now and then. I'm going to have a pint of Haagen-das peanut butter and chocolate ice cream for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for dinner. I'm going to have pain au levain with butter whenever I darn well please! Fry me some chicken, bake me some cookies, and cram some bagels/creamcheese/lox on in...oh yeah, when I'm 85 it's time to rock n' fat roll!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #15  

Hahaha, it really helps to have a plan like that, I think. Because it's not like you'll never be able to eat that food again, you just have to wait.

But I swear... I better have a full set of teeth....