Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1  
rainy

Default Do you look like your weight?

The few people that know my weight (I mean numbers) say I don't look like my weight. I was 210 pounds when I started my diet, I am about 188 now, my target is 154, my friends, my beautician...they all say I look like I was 154 now! The thing is I don't think they a lying, at least not my friends, they won't.
I find it frustrating honestly, if I look like 154 why cannot I be 154?? And more frustrating when I say 'I started at 210' and they don't believe me. WTF, despite my scale free life I have 3 damn scales in my flat, and all 3 said 210 when I started!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 360/357/150

Height: 5'7"

I don't look like my weight either. In fact, when I was around 250 pounds I would go to the doctor and they would always start the scale in the 100 pound range and slide it slowly all the way to the right and then act surprised and change it to the 200 range and be even more surprised to go clear to the middle lol

I gained my weight slowly and carry it well, evenly throughout my body which probably is why it doesn't look like I weigh as much as I do. I am also a big boned 5'7" and can carry more weight on my frame than other women. Maybe your body is similar?
newself09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

People were kind in their comments and said that I didn't look my weight, and for years I took that as a good thing.

But how I looked wasn't important--the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, clogged arteries, and joint damage were far more important.

One day I looked at myself naked in front of a full-length mirror. That told me that those kind comments about my weight were just that--kind. I was obese, and I looked it.

Forget what people tell you and continue to lose weight!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #4  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Most people that know me say the same... I started at 250 something and people were shocked to find out that I weighed that much. They still are shocked when I tell them what I weigh now. Usually people would quote me at about 200 when I'm actually about 230ish. I think, like someone said above, it's pretty evenly distributed on me even though I'm actually pretty short. I have a big chest and a big butt (but are curvy enough to still get guys interested, surprisingly enough), so it kinda evens out my thighs and stomach. Thank God. But seriously, still.... Need to lose it. :/ I KNOW I'll look 80 million times better than I do now, by far!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 AM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I am 265-ish and I can juuuust squeeze into a size 16. 16!!!! That makes no sense, people!!! My 18s are getting baggy!!!

One of the ladies here at work, who is about the same height as me (maybe an inch taller) a size 20 or so, guessed my weight at 200 even.

One of my best friends is on WW. She's 5'10, 190 lbs after losing 40, and we trade clothes back-and-forth all the time. My arms and legs are a lot bigger than hers, but my waist measurement is a couple inches smaller.

I have a huge frame, big-boned, enormous hands and feet (probably the only woman on earth who's only 5'8 but wears a size 13 shoe), and my weight is evenly distributed all over.

So, NO, I don't think I look my weight AT ALL.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i get similar responses, generally from people who aren't my friends or family.

I had a discussion with my husbands friend last year about it; he asked how much i weighed (around 217 at that point) and i reluctantly told him. He seemed shocked and didn't believe me. Maybe i dress well to cover it up? lol

Some people just distribute it better around their bodies, like newself said.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #7  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I agree Jay.... seriously, I shock myself when I actually take off my clothes and stand naked in front of a mirror. THAT'S when the actual horribleness (bumps, rolls, stretch marks) all pop out. *sigh* THAT'S when I just want to strangle the people who say I "look okay". Yeah... THAT'S because you don't see me with my clothes off buddy.

Not to mention the health issues as mentioned.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

But how I looked wasn't important--the risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, clogged arteries, and joint damage were far more important.

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishkitty View Post
I agree Jay.... seriously, I shock myself when I actually take off my clothes and stand naked in front of a mirror. THAT'S when the actual horribleness (bumps, rolls, stretch marks) all pop out. *sigh* THAT'S when I just want to strangle the people who say I "look okay". Yeah... THAT'S because you don't see me with my clothes off buddy.

Not to mention the health issues as mentioned.

Last edited by Jinksie; 05-12-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #9  
Operator265

Just had my X tell me last night that I really didn't need to lose anymore. I still have and hour glass figure and even did at 216. But, I carry much of it it my stomach area up front, which is putting pressure on my lungs and other internal organs. Not a good thing. So, I'm still going to lose. However, I doubt I'll go much below 130 since that is where I was at my most fit. Any less, I don't feel, would be improving my health and could be damaging. We'll see.

Just remember, the scale weight is just a number. It's about your health. Looking hot is a bonus.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #10  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishkitty View Post
Yeah... THAT'S because you don't see me with my clothes off buddy.
Too funny. That's exactly what I said to my X. He asked, "How old are you." Dude, I don't give a darn how old I am. I still wanna be hot. Even if nowadays it just comes in flashes.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

People just have no idea how much other people weigh. Why should they have any idea except for someone of their own height, build and weight range? It's really tricky because people of the same size can have such wildly varying weights compared to each other. 50 pounds even. And on top of that, a lot of people arbitrarily equate a certain weight with obesity or health or skinniness. For example, they once heard that a supermodel weighs 115 ... they think *you* look great ... therefore you must weight 115.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-12-2009 at 11:45 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I think I look my weight, but my husband definitely does not!

At his highest weight of 215, which is just into the "obese" category for his height, lots of people refused to believe he was even overweight! He is very muscular, which helps. I don't think he got above a size 34 in pants. He pointed out what JayEll said, that diabetes and heart disease and your joints don't care whether you look your weight.

Don't worry about what others say... do what you think is best for your health and try to ignore them if they give you crap about it. They aren't the ones living in your body.

Last edited by mayness; 05-12-2009 at 11:46 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #13  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

I don't think I could properly guess anyone's weight, friend, family or stranger. So I think when you tell people a weight, it sounds like a huge number, and their natural response is just "that can't be..."
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Yeah, it's just so hard to tell. I used to think I didn't look my weight, but that's because when I was thin (the many years I was between 125-150 lbs) people would tease me, saying, "You're so skinny~ what are you, 100 lbs soaking wet?" Now I realize that was all men and much shorter, young women. Some people, especially younger people, many males and those who have not struggled with weight, seem to think that anyone who's thin is below or just above 100, and anyone who is "fat" is like 200. When in fact people can be overweight at numbers low to a very tall person, or look fit at close to 200 lbs.

I do think I look my weight right now. I just hope I don't look bigger. I feel like I do, but that's probably from having so recently been much bigger.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm quite successful in hiding my flaws with clothing. When I was at goal I wore a lot of form fitting clothes. Not so much now that I've gained some back. I have to wear a looser shirt to hide the tummy rolls! I don't really get "fat" but I get "thick." Although I may have a little more in certain areas (tummy and hips) I tend to gain and lose all over. So when I was at my highest, no one believed what I weighed. Being tall certainly helps, too. I remember sitting in a restaurant when I was at or close to goal and I had my arms crossed and was holding onto my biceps. And I noticed how skinny they felt! My goal is to get back to those skinny arms!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote