Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #1  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Fall half marathon runners

My cousin has invited me to train to run a half marathon in October.

I have NEVER ever ever done anything like this, not even a 5k. I think the most I've ran was a mile or 2 in junior high. That was... a long time ago.

So I'm toying with the idea for a couple of reasons- my daughter turns 2 in October and hubby and I want to try for baby number 2 around her 2nd birthday. And I want to feel fit and in shape and prepared for pregnancy #2 because with my little girl I had to have a c-section, and not only that but I gained a TON of weight and have yet to lose the last pregnancy pounds, not to mention the pounds i was overweight to begin with... I feel like this could be just the thing to get me motivated, get me healthy, help me trim down to my goals.

Are any of you running half marathons in the Fall? Or have you done it before? Or do you have tips/advice/warnings/anything?? I'm honestly scared of it but at the same time, I have always always wanted to do something like this. eep!
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

hey! i am also running my first half marathon in the fall (October 11th) and am SO scared. I have always hated running, but got it in my mind that this year i WILL become a runner.

i'm starting slowly, right now in the 6th week of the C25K program, then have a program that will carry me thru all the way til the race. i figure if i take it slow and steady, i can manage it!

i also hope to get pregnant later this fall or winter. it will be my first (just got married this March) but i know from my sisters how important it is to be in shape before you give birth!

i don't have any tips, as i have never done this before, but would love to keep in touch as far as progress/struggles/goals go. i would also love to hear what some experienced marathoners have to say!
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #3  
It's the final countdown!

S/C/G: 181/150.2/125

Height: 5'3

I want to run a half-marathon! I'll have to see if I can find one in the fall. That's my one year wedding anniversary too. So, what an incentive to look awesome?!!
KEmery08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 3"

Hey,I'm running a half marathon next earth day. This earth day I ran my first half marathon relay (so, half of a half marathon; 6.5 miles). It took me a while to work up to that though, so start training TODAY and don't take a week off. I had to take 2 weeks off cuz I injurued my knee, and I lost about 2 miles that I had gained...

I started at about 3 miles 4 days a week I think, and on Thursdays I'd slowly add .5 miles. I did 1 long run on Thursdays, then on the other days I'd do shorter/faster runs. Be sure to train outside if possible, the hills and wind are more like your trail will be and are more difficult - thus getting you in better shape.

Look up training plans online - they'll outline when to run, how to run, and how far. They were really helpful for me. I jotted down each run I did - miles and minutes and it was great to see my progress from week to week and how I improved!

I trained for at least 4 months for that race, and was so proud after I finished I cried So - best of luck! I'm starting to train for my half marathon (next year) now, lol.

Remember - your goal is to complete it - not to beat it!
garstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #5  
I know I can do it.

great advice garstar! keep it coming!

skinny wish
- today was my first day on C25k! I'd love to see what program you plan to use once you are finished with C25k! Today was my first day on it and it was really really easy. I'm wondering if I should skip to the second week already. Like Garstar said, I may have 5.5 months until the race but that's really no time for someone like me who is NOT a runner AT ALL!!

I'm like you skinny, I really dislike running but this year is the year I grow to love it haha i really really want to have a vaginal birth for baby #2, so i'm hoping getting into shape will help increase my chances.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #6  
Are we there yet????

S/C/G: 227/*ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

car, don't skip ahead in c25k. it may have seemed easy but your body still needs to get used to it.

DH and I have been considering a half marathon in november, just to finish, not to be competitive.
leighish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

I am running the Rock N Roll HM in September. SO far I have run a 5k. I have another 5K this weekend, a 10K in June and then of course the HM. I am scared to. I just want to finish is all. I can't wait. Currently I run an average of 3.5 miles a day. On Saturdays is my long day and like Garstar mentioned on those days I add .5 miles. ALso one day a week I cross- train. I hvae been running since January. I hope to keep posting here! GL everyone!
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Here's another thread with some great general advice on starting to run: http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170347

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighish View Post
car, don't skip ahead in c25k. it may have seemed easy but your body still needs to get used to it.
Agreed! Even if you're in great shape, you need to start out slowly with running, because it uses your leg muscles differently than you're used to. Sticking with the program as written will keep you from getting some of the little aches and pains (or worse - injuries!) that people deal with when they start out too fast.

I recently started running again, and while I'm not sure I'll ever do a half marathon (my busy schedule doesn't leave much time to train, and I'm SLOW so I'd need a lot of time!) but I'm definitely looking for a 10K this fall.

Last edited by mayness; 05-12-2009 at 11:00 AM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200 (162.5)/ticker/140

Height: 5'4 1/2

Hey girlies!
I did my first Half-Marathon last Nov. and I just did my 2nd May 3rd (Pittsburgh). I've been running for exercise for a few years but I really didn't TRAIN until last August. I train a lot like garstar, run about 4 times a week (3-6 mi) with one of those being a long run (I did mine Sunday, I started at 8 and ended at 12). I found the long run was hard for me to do alone, but I got through. Def don't put it off and train too fast though! The first one I trained for maybe 12 weeks and this last one I REALLY put it off and my long runs weren't quite as long and reassuring. AND wear good shoes all the time (I had a little plantar facilitis thanks to an old pair of Nikes). I could go on FOREVER about what I've learned doing this (form, hydration, GU/other gels while racing, etc) but I don't want to ramble. Feel free to ask me anything!

Last edited by ahope2277; 05-12-2009 at 05:46 PM.
ahope2277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #10  
I know I can do it.

So I am glad I didn't step it up to week 2. After day 1 of C25k, I felt great! Then the next day, I have the worst pain in the front of my shins, in my ankles, and my shoulders hurt too!

Today is going to be W1D2 but I'm feeling REALLY crappy still. Any advice? I don't want to give up on this.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #11  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar05 View Post
So I am glad I didn't step it up to week 2. After day 1 of C25k, I felt great! Then the next day, I have the worst pain in the front of my shins, in my ankles, and my shoulders hurt too!

Today is going to be W1D2 but I'm feeling REALLY crappy still. Any advice? I don't want to give up on this.
My first thought is shoes. This happened to me, too. The first day of C25k went awesome... the second day, not so much. Shin splints! When I went to an actual running store and got fitted for running shoes, the pain got a lot better. And this is from zero running, so part of it was probably over training, too. That, I think you just have to work through some of the pain. Sometimes I get a little shin pain if I train too hard, so it's good to rest.

The shoulder pain is probably core muscle pain. I noticed my lower back muscles would hurt when I was really pushing it. Running really works out all aspects of your body and the more in shape you are core-wise, the easier it becomes. You may want to look into core strength training and upper body training on your off-days.

By the way, I am just training for my first 5k and started at the end of February (5k is in September). It has and will take me that long to be able to run the entire 3.1 miles. Everyone trains differently, it's just a matter of listening to your body and knowing what it can handle.

I recommend the book "Running for mortals" by John Bingham. It gives a lot of great practical advice to go from a non-runner to a regular runner.

Good luck!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/192/160

Height: 5'6"

hey ladies!

carcar i got bad shin splints after my first day of C25K, but just stuck with it and never got them again (now on W6D2). it just takes some time to get used to it i think!

CakeBatteryour schedule sounds awesome, with adding in afew 5km and 10 km runs before the HM. i should probably look into doing that, just to get a feel for organized races...

What sort of cross training are you guys doing? Different cardio (like swimming, biking, walking, etc.) weight training, or both? I need to add cross training in soon, but am not too sure how to do it. I know the HM training schedule I have schedules 2 CT days a week (plus 4 days of running) but doesn't go into specifics on what KIND of CT...

Last edited by skinnywish; 05-13-2009 at 12:55 PM.
skinnywish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I do yoga on my off days, and on my running days too (just less). I was actually doing this for many months (from the beginning of my change - the weight loss change, not the menopause change ) before I started running.

I can only give the credit for no shin splints or hip pain to the yoga, because in the past I always had those problems and they always stopped me because they wouldn't go away for weeks and even months. The yoga strengthened and stretched my muscles, but most importantly I think it really strengthened my tendons. I say that because it also did wonders for my tennis elbow.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-13-2009 at 01:25 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #14  
I know I can do it.

You guys are all so awesome- thanks for the advice!!

I have some yoga & pilates DVD's, and the 30DS, and some great Denise Austin DVD's that should help with core strengthening. I definitely don't have the strongest core- I had a c-section 18 months ago for my daughter and I took the advice of the doctors a little tooooo literally as far as taking it easy goes.

Anyway, I'm gearing up to do Day 2 of C25k and I'm feeling excited. I wish we had a good shoe store here, the nearest is 2 hours away (we live in the boonies) SO I may have to plan a trip out this weekend!

How many races did you run before you did the HM? I don't care about time, I just want to finish it, and I'd like to run the majority of it but if I can't run the whole thing that's fine too- I just gotta cross the finish line. I already walk a ton, but I'd like to build my running endurance before October! So I am thinking races between now and then will keep me motivated and having mini-goals to work towards should be really helpful too. Any insight??

EDIT: there is a 5k coming up on the 4th of July in a town near where I live- it's a GORGEOUS area and I'd love to run that race- the even better news? It'd be in the 9th week of my couch to 5k!!! SO I'm going to register for it to hold me accountable- this is perfect timing and I"m excited to train for this race!!!!

Last edited by carcar05; 05-13-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #15  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

You go girl! That's one happy face for every kilometer you're going to run!

I'm doing my first 10K on May 25th, and I'm toying with the idea of training for a half-marathon... I'm REALLY slow though - the race would probably be over before I crossed the finish line.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote