South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default Ok ladies, I'm back yet again...

I've successfully gained back most of my weight I had lost.

Let me count the ways it happened:

1) a little dab won't hurt, I've been so good lately,
2) It doesn't matter if I have a little of this
3) it's ok if I skip exercising today, I've been really good lately

Then it was I'll start exercising after I recover from surgery...which was
Dec '07. Hmmm....well I guess I'm recovered from surgery and yet I still hadn't gotten back to exercising.

I started a new job in August...did I mention I'm very much an emotional eater? I handle stress by eating

Well, in Dec '08, I had a huge muscle spasm in my lower back, then it went into sciatica pain-the pain that shoots down the leg everytime you move. So that's finally getting better, I go to a chiropractor who's also a PT and an exercise physiolgist that specializes in rehabiliation medicine. It's great, they are working with me to teach me how to do exercises correctly so I won't re-injure myself.

And I've decided that South Beach is basically the only diet that works for me, limited good carbs and lots of veggies and very limited sugars. So starting today, it's back to phase 1.

This time I'll make it work. I'm also working on my emotional eating issues. Hopefully this is a combo that will work. Oh, hubby bought me Wii Fit along with Golds Gym and My fitness coach. I guess he wants me to be healthy. He's doing them too.

Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

back and why did you leave? You know by now that this is a Lifestyle rather than a diet so climb back onto the Beach Buggy and hang out even when you do reach your goal.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/164.8/135

Height: 5'3

Hi Sarah and welcome back. I believe I remember you from when I was on here before. You are not alone! I too fell off the wagon making excuse after excuse and last week decided it was time to come back to reality hop back onto the beach wagon for health reason after gaining back all I had lost plus 1 pound. I am now in week 2 of phase 1 and I feel so much better. I am 5 pounds lighter and loving life on the beach. I have even been able to ward off any cravings and stick to it even at a birthday party and dinner out. It feels so good to have some control over my eating. Enjoy your Wii fit. I am hoping to get one in the near future.
Vking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome back, Sarah!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
back and why did you leave? You know by now that this is a Lifestyle rather than a diet so climb back onto the Beach Buggy and hang out even when you do reach your goal.
So very true. I basically got tired of focusing on food all the time, tired of cooking, planning ahead, 'I can't eat that because I'm on a diet' mentallity. But over the last couple years I've learned that in order to be healthy I have to not think of this as a diet, it's a permenant change in eating habits. I need to adjust my life so that it becomes second nature.

I've found another book "The Beck Diet Solution"-yes me and my book reviews. But this book has a different approach to emotional eating and basically "wrong thinking" about food. I've found it very helpful in getting back on track.

Over the weekend, I cleaned out my cabinets and took a lot of my non-SBD foods out of the house...luckily the post office was picking up food for the needy on Saturday and I sorted through all my cabinets and threw out a lot of the processed stuff. Packed my DH's junk food for him to take to work or put on a top shelf someplace.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi Sarah and welcome back! Thanks for the reminder, I have been slipping lately. Lots of fresh starts going on around here, so you are in good company.
And hello to vicki as well!
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #7  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

Welcome back Sarah!
weezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
Hi Sarah and welcome back! Thanks for the reminder, I have been slipping lately. Lots of fresh starts going on around here, so you are in good company.
And hello to vicki as well!
It's so easy to slip. Our bodies are great machines and one slip every once in awhile we can handle and really won't affect the weight that much. It's the multiple slips over time at least for me. It took a long time of eating my old way for me to really start to gain weight back. The first few months it was only a pound every once in awhile that I could justify. Remember it's taken me 2 years to put it all back on...but it really only took a few months from October '08 to Jan '09 for the body to finally say, enough is enough and gained 20 pounds really fast. The first 10 pounds that came back took over a year to slowly slip in.

It's so easy to become complacent about eating and exercise. To make those excuses that wreck our resolve. It's all very disheartening that's why 3fatchicks is so great. We can come back and get the support that we've fallen away from.
Thanks guys.
Sarah
Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Welcome back Sarah!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #10  

Welcome back, Sarah! I remember you well. I'm in the same boat you are. I was down to 139 at one point and now I'm at 171. As a single mom it is harder for me to get to the gym and the last couple of years have been incredibly stressful. Now I'm so crunched for time that we end up eating out more than we should.

I really need to make an effort to come up with fast stuff that is on hand. And to make it to the gym when Brian is with his Dad.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

WELCOME BACK SARAH!!!!! Like Ruthxxx said... this IS a lifestyle. Try to keep telling yourself that. But, we are also emotional beings... just learn to turn to something else during an emotional time like taking a walk or chewing sugar free gum if you cant get away from the mouth fixation (like me). I hate it when that happens!! I lost 50 pounds 7 years ago.. and then gained not all.. but a lot of it back after I had my second child. ITS SUCH A BUMMER.. and sometimes feel impossible. BUT it IS POSSIBLE.. just patience. You CAN DO IT!! Just always be sure to check into this place when having a weak moment... THIS PLACE IS AWESOME!!!!! Good luck!! much love... monica
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote