Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default which is better? "Body Sculpting Bible (women)" or "Lift Like a Man, Look Like..."

Hi!

I'm really getting into weight resistance training at my gym!

I've been finding some really great books to keep challenging my muscles so my body doesn't get bored/adapt too soon.

(*I admit, sometimes I get nervous in bicep workouts, since the books I've read state I'm targeting the same muscles, but just in a different way!! I just hope I'm doing it right!)

The 2 books I like are "The Body Sculpting Bible for women" & "Men's Health: Ultimate Dumbbell Guide." The pictures and variety of what I can do is terrific

I did buy "Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" a while ago. Granted I haven't finished reading it, but I have to admit, so far I'm disappointed in not seeing more examples/variety of weights the authors suggest in their workouts. That's a bit discouraging for me, since I've heard of so many good reviews on that book!!

what books do you think are good for this weight resistance newbie??

thanks!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 05-07-2009 at 01:37 AM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Well, I'm not really sure what you want as far as variety. The New Rules of Lifting for Women includes a lot of compound movements so those will work your whole body. Part of challenging yourself is lifting more weight if you are doing that, you are getting a challenge. I would think that with three different books you have quite a bit of variety at your fingertips. What exactly are you looking for in a book?

You can also look check out websites for ideas. I would just be careful about where you look because there are a lot of videos out there with people doing movements with HORRID form. You don't want to learn from those. You can go to Precision Nutrition (Krista from stumptous.com does some stuff with them) and become a member for free. They have a huge list of exercises with video. http://www.precisionnutrition.com/

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 05-07-2009 at 03:42 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #3  

thanks!

I meant to say "New Rules for Lifting for women"!!!

~ tea
Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #4  

I'm just looking for programs that'll help me on my journey to looking ripped

***I think what I'm really confused about in "new rules for lifting for women" is how they set up their daily/weekly lifting programs towards the end of the book.***

~ tea
Old 05-08-2009, 01:22 AM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

What confuses you about it? I personally have never done a particular program. I do what I like, including exercises that I know to be useful. It sounds like you are also pretty much wanting to design your own routine. Yes?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:00 PM   #6  
Hug a Tree!

I appear to kill your threads every time I reply.